2016 Pronghorn Down

• Had a great speed goat hunt this past weekend. Found a nice high spot and put eyes on about 40+ antelope in one 6 sq. mile area. 3 separate groups, with a few single satellite bucks roaming about. Saw one nice one out by himself, so we set out to close the distance a bit. Along the way, we encountered another nice buck. I decided to take him instead.

TS Customs 7LRM put him down like a lightning strike at 755yds. Video will be ready when I get over this massive cold I came down with the night after I shot this critter. There are bigger antelope walking around somewhere, but there were none bigger seen by us the entire trip.

hW69TkX.jpg

DLaVOyr.jpg

• Was waiting for this update, good job.

• Nice goat.

I'm curious as to how the 180 bergers perform terminally.

Obviously dead is dead, but did you find that it blew away a lot of meat?

• Awesome job @orkan . Looking forward to the video.

• @orkan
    Nice goat and nice rifle. :thumbsup:

• Nice shot.

• @ragnarnar said:

I'm curious as to how the 180 bergers perform terminally.

Obviously dead is dead, but did you find that it blew away a lot of meat?

Pencil entrance
    pfqPedn.jpg

Baseball exit
    WGcJN9T.jpg

He was quartering away from me just a bit, and the shot landed absolutely perfectly... I'm talking within an inch of my intended aim point. Entered behind the shoulder, and exited through the opposite shoulder. I was using the berger hybrid target, not the VLD hunting. I ended up throwing away the top half of the far shoulder, so there wasn't much lost at all. If I wouldn't have hit the major shoulder bone, there probably would have been less damage.

• @orkan

Beautiful. I like what I see

• at 750 yards that should have still been going about 2000+ fps. Ain't no wonder it exited like a baseball!!!

• Yup, 2118fps calculated impact velocity. ;)

• I have never been antelope hunting before, and when orkan asked if I wanted to video you bet I said yes!

I've seen what orkan has done with a rifle, a LOT... but to be there when we backpack out a ways, get the heart thumpin, do a quick calculation and put a round right where it needs to be at 755 yards... my jaw dropped. I didn't doubt it was going to be done, I KNEW it was going to be done, but seeing first hand that kind of skill was awesome.

I wonder if he has a kestrel integrated into his head... because I never saw him pull one out when he made his firing solution! It was a lot of fun, other than it being a bit warm it was a perfect day. I'm not sure if he knows he opened a can of worms bringing me along or not, as there is going to be a lot of nagging to film more big game hunts! It doesn't matter what we hunt though, as long as I'm shooting critters with my camera I'm pretty happy. I still have to try and fit in some pdog blasting for @mamalukino , but the year is closing fast!

• The hardest part was that he just wouldn't stop moving. Just kept on cruising and when he stopped, he was either at a bad angle, or didn't convince me with his body language that he was going to be still for a second. When he finally anchored his teeth into a tasty little tuft of grass, it all came together. :)

• Well done.

Mind providing some more details?
    Where is this? How far in did you walk? how many days did you hunt?

• Western SD. Saw some goats from the road. Walked in about 3/4 mile. We were out for about 3 days.

• Did a B&C scoring on the goat yesterday... just a quick and dirty. Certainly isn't a huge goat. Scored 68. Around 13" horns. He certainly looked more impressive than that walking around... but they always do. It was a mad rush of a week leading up to the hunt, and then getting sick as a dog after shooting this critter and staying that way for the last week has been no fun. Everything worked out as good as it could have I think!

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.