Gunhive.com Spring Training

• @orkan I sent you the check. Post office said it should be there Mon.

• Seven seats confirmed. Three spots remaining.

Just a reminder that we have @dddoo7 giving a short sermon service here at our facility sunday morning. Those of you that don't wish to participate, that is fine... but just understand that if you are not here for the safety brief that morning, you will not participate in live fire later that day.

• And don't forget breakfast being served Saturday and Sunday. Folks tend to kick themselves in the butt for missing it ;)

Full meal reminder:

Saturday: breakfast, lunch & dinner will be provided.
    Sunday: breakfast & lunch will be provided

If you happen to show up early on Friday, dinner will also be provided.

Don't worry, we'll remind you again as it gets closer. ;)

• Even though I may not make it in early enough, and unless everybody going knows everybody, how about a little mixer on Fri. evening to meet everyone. If I can get there early enough I'd love to be there and meet everyone. Just a thought.

• yeah, we can do that. Obviously I would discourage any "sport" drinking... as everyone should be clear headed and switched on for the training saturday. ... but that is a good idea and something that we've done in times past. We typically just meet up at the classroom and put a plan together from there.

• I was thinking of making and sharing my "famous" (in my family) habanero avocado dip and chips, but if people don't have a good tolerance for spicy food, the next day effects may be worse than drinking the night before :laughing: :laughing:

• I would like to attend. I'll drop the check in the mail tomorrow.

• Check is in the mail!

• We'll be on the lookout.

• Friday May 12th, 8pm we will host a pre-class get together so everyone can get a chance to meet one another. Food will be provided. It will be a Mexican themed food layout, if you'd like to contribute something you certainly can, however it is not necessary.

Looking forward to meeting all you fine folks in May!

• Those of you that are here friday afternoon sometime can come do some shooting before the class if you'd like. It's a great opportunity to get the bugs out of your equipment before the learning moments happen.

• 2 spots left.

• Hotel booked, Flight is booked get into Sioux Falls at noon. Should be in Huron by 3pm. What time will you be shooting on Friday? Hopefully I will get there by then..

• We'll probably be out shooting by then. However, the remaining staff will be able to give you directions to where we are... likely about 18 miles from the classroom.

• Hotel booked. So far the plan is to arrive around 4-5pm (driving). If you guys are still shooting at this time, I'll come by and if not, I'll see you at the get together @ 8.

• administrators

@ramirojpc said:

Hotel booked. So far the plan is to arrive around 4-5pm (driving). If you guys are still shooting at this time, I'll come by and if not, I'll see you at the get together @ 8.

Sounds good. Looking forward to meeting all of you!

• @orkan Just a thought, and not knowing if you'll cover something like this, but could you cover some information on reloading for precision shooting? Fundamentals, process, gear, and the like, would be greatly beneficial to someone like me that is just starting out.

• There's casual talk of all of that in between regimented instruction. Believe me when I say the regimented courseware will have your eyes glossed over within the first couple hours. I'm going to take you down a rabbit hole you didn't know existed, and take you further down it than you're comfortable with.

We have other instruction available which cover all other subjects surrounding precision rifles. It is an impossibility to cover more than we do in the 2 days we spend. Even the brightest among us struggle. You won't want "more." ;)

• @orkan Seriously man, I am really looking forward to this learning experience. Thanx for putting together.

• One seat remains.

• Motel booked....Rental Car booked...Vacation Time Acquired...Lets do this!!!

• If any of you have food allergies or any weird dietary restrictions, don't hesitate to message me. I'm more than willing to accommodate. I do a lot of dairy free, grain free, bean free cooking as it is, so adding something else in the mix, isn't that hard ;)

• I wish I didn’t have to make this post but past experience has required us to make it known from the onset what is expected of everyone. Every class gets a "shake down" like this and you all will again Saturday morning as part of our safety briefing. So consider everyone duly informed!

Firearms are at play here and that is not a time to be cute. I expect every person in this class to be switched on entirely and in complete control of your faculties. If my staff or I detect suspicious behavior of any kind, you are done. There will be no alcohol allowed at our facility, and if I smell alcohol on you, you're done. If you're found out of line, you will be removed, and you will not have any say about it. Every square inch of our facility is under video surveillance, and those cameras are monitored 24/7 by armed guard. If you do not follow instructions during this event, you are a liability to the safety of your fellow students and my staff, and will be dealt with swiftly.

I take my personal safety and the safety of your fellow students and our staff very seriously. It is my intention to send you home with a lifelong skill set. A series of building blocks, put in place one at a time over the course of the weekend, which will result in you being given all the tools and instruction to build your foundation as a shooter. You need to be at your very best in order to make the most of this. Be well rested when you show up Saturday morning as well as Sunday morning. Have your mind be free of the trappings of your normal daily routines. If you give me two honest days, I'll give you a skill set that would take you at least ten years of constant effort to develop. If you're here for the right reasons, this will be extremely fun and challenging.

It goes without saying that I believe this group will be one of our best yet. Most of you guys have been on Gunhive or various other forums for years. Most of you know each other and know me. I'm personally looking forward to this class a great deal. I'm very excited to see how some of you are progressing beyond what I see of your posts daily here on Gunhive. I'm also even more excited about the challenge of sending each and every one of you home better than you arrived! I know it's going to be a really good time and I'm looking forward to it!

• Just booked my hotel for this.

With the weather we won't be done planting, but we should have enough people now that tillage is done I can make it.

• I'm booked at the Crossroads Hotel, and I just got the Manners stock for my Savage Axis so I'm all set!
    Just kidding...sorry couldn't resist : )
    See you all in a couple of weeks!
    DW

• v48ap.jpg

hahaha

Looking forward to meeting you all. We're hoping for good weather!

• I was checking my email reservation for the hotel and couldn't find it, so I guess I trashed it when I was cleaning up my email over the weekend, so I spent a few minutes today calling the different hotels to see which one had my reservation. I am all set now. Plan is to arrive on Fri. around 2pm so I can set/confirm zero and whatever else Greg is having us do.

From looking at my driving map (Colorado Springs to Huron), looks like I'll be passing through at least 1 reservation, and there is a note on Google maps that says part of the route is on private property. I am assuming this refers to the reservation. I've never been to or passed through a reservation, anything I should be aware of?

• This may sound like a joke, but unfortunately it is not.
    Watch out for passed out folks in the middle of the highway.

• @mamalukino said:

This may sound like a joke, but unfortunately it is not.

I assume you mean while driving through the reservation, right?

• @ramirojpc Correct.

• @mamalukino said:

This may sound like a joke, but unfortunately it is not.

Nah you haven't been keeping up with the news.

I assume that you'll be passing through the pine ridge reservation?

Nebraska just closed down the white clay liquor stores where they were getting all their alcohol they'll all be sober now. I mean not like they could just drive another few miles to the other stores or whatever.

On a serious note ,lock your doors and don't stop those reservations are trash.

• @ramirojpc personally I'd plan on driving all the way through and not stopping any where on the reservation. Get gas and food before you enter and after you exit the rez. I'm not a fan of reservations....they're full of lots of undesirable folk.

• Just curious...what is the legality of suppressors on reservations? Or guns for that matter?

• @rhyno
    Yea, out of touch, it has been a few years.

• @ramirojpc said:

I was checking my email reservation for the hotel and couldn't find it, so I guess I trashed it when I was cleaning up my email over the weekend, so I spent a few minutes today calling the different hotels to see which one had my reservation. I am all set now. Plan is to arrive on Fri. around 2pm so I can set/confirm zero and whatever else Greg is having us do.

From looking at my driving map (Colorado Springs to Huron), looks like I'll be passing through at least 1 reservation, and there is a note on Google maps that says part of the route is on private property. I am assuming this refers to the reservation. I've never been to or passed through a reservation, anything I should be aware of?

These guy's aren't kidding. Don't stop. Stop in nebraska. Gas up, take a leak... don't stop in SD until you're off the res and/or hit I-90. BELIEVE ME, you'll know when you're off the res. Do NOT stop for people broke down on the highway unless you are a good judge of character and get a VERY good look at them ahead of time. Do not let someone stop you on the highway unless they are sporting a very official looking vehicle. These little prairie rats think they are hardcore gangsters... and they'll act the part if you give them the opportunity.

@dddoo7 regarding legality on the res... the law there is whatever they say it is. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. Tribal cops are to be avoided at all costs. ESPECIALLY if you are white. Reverse racism on the res is worse than it has ever been. Keep a LOW profile when you're on the res. Some federal laws apply, some don't. Some state laws apply, some don't. No way for you to tell because if the tribal cop that has you stopped doesn't agree with the law, he'll just change it on the spot and there won't be one singular thing you can do about it.

I'd rather over-dramatize this than have you guys get victimized on one of our many reservation shit holes. I'm from here, and I avoid the res when I can. It's as close to a third world shit hole as you can find without leaving the country. When you're on the res, think of yourself as a pork chop walking through the woods where the bears outnumber you 1000 to 1. Your safest play is avoidance. You could walk through 100 times and nothing happens, but that 101th time...

Bottom line, the reservations, rapid city, and sioux falls are the highest crime areas in the entire state. When you're in a city, you avoid the ghetto. It's just that our ghetto's are thousands of square miles in size. ;) You can find nice people in the ghetto sometimes. Though more often than not, they are looking to prey on you. So I tell people to just avoid it. Go around, or go through with your melon on a swivel... during daylight!

• @orkan

That's just sound advice, period.

Natives are especially degenerate, like I've said before, we should have wiped them out better the first time.

• @gash said:

@ramirojpc personally I'd plan on driving all the way through and not stopping any where on the reservation. Get gas and food before you enter and after you exit the rez. I'm not a fan of reservations....they're full of lots of undesirable folk.

Sounds good, I'll plan on that. Thanks for the advise.

@orkan said:

@dddoo7 regarding legality on the res... the law there is whatever they say it is. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. Tribal cops are to be avoided at all costs. ESPECIALLY if you are white. Reverse racism on the res is worse than it has ever been. Keep a LOW profile when you're on the res. Some federal laws apply, some don't. Some state laws apply, some don't. No way for you to tell because if the tribal cop that has you stopped doesn't agree with the law, he'll just change it on the spot and there won't be one singular thing you can do about it.

Ah, so it's just like the cops in Mexico near the border. In that case, I'll just avoid the reservations all together. I thought it might be neat to see native Americans, but if it's this bad, I'll pass on the idea.

Just checked the map, I would have been going up 44 until Fort Thompson on the Crow Creek Reservation then heading east on 34 to 281 then north. The faster route according to google maps had me going through the Rosebud reservation and then through the Crow Creek res. But I am going to avoid both. From 44 I am going to take 90 east until 281 then head north. Looks like that will have me avoiding all reservations. Is this accurate? (see map below).

yTzSNq0.jpg

• Be sure to fill up in Brewster, there is nothing between it and Ainsworth.

That drive from north of North Platte is brutal, or it can be brutal, I enjoy it.

And don't speed, the only ticket I got was speeding through that area, three cars on the road, me, the guy I passed, and the trooper I didn't see.

• @rhyno said:

Be sure to fill up in Brewster, there is nothing between it and Ainsworth.

That drive from north of North Platte is brutal, or it can be brutal, I enjoy it.

And don't speed, the only ticket I got was speeding through that area, three cars on the road, me, the guy I passed, and the trooper I didn't see.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll make sure I have a full tank from Brewster on. No speeding? Damn, open road, and no speeding? What? So what's the speed limit? That's one of the things I love about driving to TX, as soon as you get into the state, it's 75mph in most highways and it's even 80mph in some areas, love that.

• @ramirojpc 65 IIRC. Generally they won't pull you over if you're under 5 over. So a little speeding.

You'll probably lose cell reception in that are as well, at least I did the last time I went through there, it's been a few years now.

• i90 through SD is 80mph limit, if that helps you make a decision on a route.

• Also, this is to people who might be flying in or anyone going through Nebraska.

If you go through Omaha, and don't have you're CCW (make sure Nebraska recognizes it) keep you're firearms in the trunk. If you get pulled over and it's in the cab and in a case or open in Omaha they can nail you for concealed weapon.

Otherwise for the rest of the state the best way is to leave the firearm in the cab and open the case and make it visible since it's an open carry state. Or in a gun rack.

Omaha is the only area that has different laws from the rest of the state as far as I'm aware (and some of its suburbs) but technically as I was lasttold anyways a gun in a case that can be "reached" is concealed and they can nail you for it.

It's a stupid law.

If you have any questions contact the Nebraska State Patrol, they usually respond fairly fast.

• This applies to anytime you are traveling...although probably not going to work in the indian reservations.

If you get pulled over...you don't have to allow the officer to search the car unless he sees something illegal out in the open. I personally will not let an officer search my car. He has no business searching my car and no reason to suspect any illegal activity. I almost always have my guns in some type of case (other than ccw). If he happens to see the case and asks what is in the case I respond that it is legal sporting equipment. That is all he needs to know.

Many officers will freak out when they see a suppressor...so there is no reason for them to ever see them. The suppressor may be legal...but if the officer doesn't know that it is going to cause a lot of trouble.

Also...the minute I am pulled over I will start recording on my phone without telling the officer. Otherwise it will be your word against his...and we all know how that will end.

If you react in this way...you are almost sure to get a speeding ticket or whatever you got pulled over for...but I would rather a speeding ticket than to give up my rights as a citizen.

The best bet obviously is to drive the speed limit and obey traffic laws...but we all know accidents happen.

• All of this is great info. That was going to be my next question, because every time I travel I always have my gun with me, so I was going to ask and look into what are the laws of the different states. I usually keep my gun in the center console in the car or truck as well as the spare mag.

• Nebraska honors most permits.

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

This map is usually up to date m, but it's wrong about South Dakota Nebraska honors it's class 2 permit or one of them.

• @rhyno said:

Nebraska honors most permits.

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

This map is usually up to date m, but it's wrong about South Dakota Nebraska honors it's class 2 permit or one of them.

According to the SD Permit Guide I have, NE honors SD's enhanced permit and you must be 21+ years of age.

• @ramirojpc said:

I thought it might be neat to see native Americans

There, this was shot in an area you were going to be driving through.

• When I'm heading that direction, i usually do something like this, hitting lusk along the way. I don't care for nebraska's liberal bullshit... so I stick to wyoming. Now with the 80mph on the interstate in SD, a guy can cover some ground. That area from mitchell to Huron... I'll usually take 281 north instead of what the map shows.

DI8d3m2h.jpg

• I am going to be going through Iowa (at least planning to). As far as I can tell...suppressors are now legal in that state...right? Legislation passed about a year ago?

• @orkan Damn, well, I was way off. I guess I had this romanticized idea of the Native American people. Just as with any other people, I am sure they are a bunch of good people among them, but I just can't imagine that with 80% unemployment and multiple families living in such small houses, how their situation can improve. It's a good thing I asked, I'll make sure to stay clear of the reservations. Thanks for all the good info.

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.