Multiple rounds required to stop man



  • This kind of makes 6+1 of .380 seem useless.



  • Probably higher than a kite.



  • @mamalukino

    either that or the department needs to work on marksmanship under pressure.



  • @dddoo7 said:

    @mamalukino

    either that or the department needs to work on marksmanship under pressure.

    Most likely this. Statistically, and historically... police can't shoot worth shit. They all think they can, until they get around real shooters. Obviously there are exceptions to this rule.



  • @orkan said:

    @dddoo7 said:

    @mamalukino

    either that or the department needs to work on marksmanship under pressure.

    Most likely this. Statistically, and historically... police can't shoot worth shit. They all think they can, until they get around real shooters. Obviously there are exceptions to this rule.

    Have to agree with you, most LE absolutely cannot shoot.
    I still think the guy was nutz or high, true psychotics and those with drug induced psychosis are often dead before the brain realizes it.
    A head shot is about the only guaranteed stopper.

    The Army replaced the .38 Colt with the .45 caliper ( first the long colt and then the ACP) in direct reaction to sword wielding Moros high on opium being able to withstand 5 shots of the .38s and killing the attackee. Moro=Moslem



  • When you consider that Cole Younger is recorded to have been shot 11 times in the Northfield MN bank robbery alone and survived to be arrested there and then lived through prison and into his 70's a body can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Shot placement is important but even with good shot placement individuals can live long enough to shoot back. Consider that a 150 lb deer can make it 50-100 yards after being hit through the heart with a .50 caliber slug. My thought on it is that any time I draw I figure I will get shot also so I better make sure it is worth it before hand.



  • https://www.policeone.com/police-heroes/articles/6199620-Why-one-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/

    This is one of the best articles I've read on the subject.

    The take away was carry as much ammo of whatever you can shoot most accurately, and go for head shots.



  • @tunnel-ratt said:

    When you consider that Cole Younger is recorded to have been shot 11 times in the Northfield MN bank robbery alone and survived to be arrested there and then lived through prison and into his 70's a body can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Shot placement is important but even with good shot placement individuals can live long enough to shoot back. Consider that a 150 lb deer can make it 50-100 yards after being hit through the heart with a .50 caliber slug. My thought on it is that any time I draw I figure I will get shot also so I better make sure it is worth it before hand.

    We no longer host defensive classes of any kind... but when we did, this was one of the biggest sources of contention ever. Trying to get someone to shift gears from the "hunting" mindset to the "preservation of life" mindset was an impossible task.

    Two ways to break down an attacker's ability to be a continued threat:

    1. Bone structure.
      Well placed bullets to the large joints in the human body will cause extreme trauma and complete collapse of the body. This is somewhat difficult without training, but extremely effective. Consider the hip joints for a moment. All manner of extremely important things going on there. When struck with a bullet, fragmentation not only from the bullet but from bone will absolutely shred the area. Humans are bipeds. Knock out one support, we fall down. I could go on for several hours here about the specific techniques and WHY it is so effective, but I refuse to devote any more of my life "fighting" for people to accept the reality of a defensive situation. ... so I won't.

    2. Nervous system.
      Connect with the correct portions of the nervous system and the body will have a completely involuntary total shut off of all functions. Consider a knockout punch. A light tap, just so, on a persons jaw... shuts them off like a light switch. Bullets to specific places have a similar effect.

    The study of such things, requires extreme amounts of time and great discipline. FAR more than most "gun enthusiasts" care to spend. It's the age of the internet, where people think they can become expert marksmen and tacticians from behind their keyboards. Bottom line is this: You shoot someone ONE TIME, in the correct place, they are out of the fight. Yet if you consider the focus of most LEO training, you'll quickly find that their jobs have VERY little to do with force-on-force confrontations. Most officers time on duty is not spent like an episode of COPS, but rather an episode of Traffic Cops, or perhaps something from the Animal Planet channel.

    If people (police included) actually devoted the necessary time to become truly proficient with their carry guns, you'd see the majority of defensive firearm discharges ending after 2-5 rounds being fired, with virtually all of those rounds hitting their intended targets rather than innocent bystanders. So why isn't that the case?

    Politically correct tolerance agenda bullshit. That's why. The emphasis is on the illusion of safety, rather than stopping the threat. Far too much care is given to the welfare of the ATTACKER in the training that civilians and law enforcement receive.



  • Money is a consideration as well. Most cops don't have many rounds to practice with.



  • @rhyno said:

    Money is a consideration as well. Most cops don't have many rounds to practice with.

    Sorry, but I don't subscribe to the "officers and departments don't have enough money to train" myth. Try submitting some freedom of information act requests to your local PD. See what happens.

    If you do ever get any actual numbers, you'll see heaping PILES of money being spread around in all kinds of places... and guess who decides where?

    Go looking for how much money is collected via tickets and fines... and find where that money goes. It will probably cause you to vomit. As per usual, you'll find the problem could be solved EASILY if anyone cared to solve it.


 

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.