The Loading Log

• So I have now learned.
    I was twisting the Micrometer on the die like I was twisting the turrets chasing a Zero with the cheap 22LR ammo one day.

A fruitless effort.

For Mag length blaster ammo I will just set the powder measure and the seating die and go with it.

For bolt action or single loaded AR ammo go through all the steps.

• @hypo I haven't done it myself yet, but I have considered buying a seating die for each load on my AR. So far though, I've just put an already loaded round in the die and crank the stem down to contact.

• So I'm taking the plunge into progressive reloading for my .45acp and bulk .223 rounds. I was given an old Hornady projector press a while back. I am missing parts of the priming system, and can't find replacements. But everything else works and the Lock N Load AP plates works on it. So I'm going to prime off press then just load on this press.

I have dies and a powder measure on the way. Next pay check I'm gonna grab bullets, powder and primers. Then off to the races.

• @norcal_in_az

be careful when piecing together progressive presses. One can quickly get more money in the press than a new one would cost...ask me how I know? :)

If you can at all scrape together the money...a 550 is the way to go. It is head and shoulders above most other entry level progressive presses.

• I have a Hornady LnL AP that I still haven't set up and roughly 1k 9mm bullets.

Should probably get that set up.

• @dddoo7 said:

@norcal_in_az

be careful when piecing together progressive presses. One can quickly get more money in the press than a new one would cost...ask me how I know? :)

If you can at all scrape together the money...a 550 is the way to go. It is head and shoulders above most other entry level progressive presses.

Yeah I know. Thats why I'm not buying anything that can't be put onto another press. I'll hand feed cases and bullets. This is costing me dies, a powder drop, a shell plate, and consumables. I'd have to buy most of that anyways to do it on my single stage. Not going there with pistol rounds lol.

• The Dillon 550 entry level is probably what I will go with based on 007 advice.

Especially since I saw this. Put my Redding right on top and load away. An extra movement though.
    Entry level 550 is $271. I would get the different quick changes for 223, 9mm, and 30-06.
    Any semi auto I would load on the 550. Keep the Coax for the bolt action bullets.
    Interestingly, Whidden uses a Dillon for his match ammo but with his dies and floating die holder.

20029_dillon_powder_measure_adapter_t.jpg

• That's all a 550 cost? That's more than reasonable. I've never priced one out before.

Also @hypo you check out the Lee auto drum. It's case activated when you use it with the Lee powder through dies.

I also looked up that press. It's only downfall it's not auto indexing.

• @hypo

It is probably better to buy a full version 550 than it is the bare bones version.

I have a full quick change kit for each caliber I load. I even got one for 38 and another for 357. Different die setup and different powder. All of that is not necessary...but makes it easier to use. I have a friend who has a 550 and only uses one powder measure. He has several toolheads setup, but only one powder measure. It is cheaper that way...but not as easy.

You can also save money on conversion kits. Some of the parts overlap and don't need to be bought twice. However if you have a full quick change kit for each caliber you will want a powder funnel for each caliber as well even when they are duplicates.

Any questions let me know. I'll be glad to answer. It is kind of overwhelming when looking at the Dillion site for the first time.

• You do get a lot more for the $460 or so.
    How accurate is the Dillon powder measure
    https://www.dillonprecision.com/rl-550b_8_1_23594.html

• @hypo
    With pistol or ball powders it is very accurate. With stock not so much. CFE223 is usually within plus or minus a tenth and at most plus or minus two tenths.

• @hypo

I don't know if @dddoo7 has tried it, but BL-C2 is a very good ball powder for the .223.

• @norcal_in_az

I have an 8lb jug of CFE223. Until it is gone I won't try anything else for .223...and I haven't shot my AR's in probably over a year so it should last a while.

• Cranking out some 230gr 45 acp Today.

D9C5514A-1BB2-4498-8BF9-FE77BFF82D3C_zpshjnbc1hf.jpg

Btw-- whoever mixed small primer brass in with my good brass should be shot. Why do they even make small primer 45 auto?

• @dddoo7 is that a 550B?

• Yep. That is the one I leave set up for large primer. I have another for small primer.

• One of the things I hate most in processing Brass is counting. I know I can get close with weight...but I don't just want to be close...I want it right.

So...I ordered a microswitch and digital counter and now my benchsource also counts my brass for me. I just got it set up but we will see how it does after a 2500 round marathon.

Btw--please ignore how dirty my benchsource is. It gets used a lot.

• Innovative! I like it. :)

• I've been toying with this ideal for some time now. I was going to put a counter on the press...but problem is that it counts every time the handle is pulled. In a perfect world that would work...but there are always a few pulls out of 1000 that are either bad brass or press malfunction...which leaves the count off.

The counter on the annealer will only trigger if a piece of brass hits that final drop. If empty it won't hit the trigger. I really hope it works long term.

• No video, but the CPS_LITE was workin' tunite.
    It sucks to not NEED to load ammo due to lousy shooting schedule.
    fYwthkb.jpg

99% of the Lawyers make the rest look bad.

• Ok...there is not much I hate more than berdan primed brass cases. They murder my decapping pins!!! If you are gonna make a berdan primed case at least make it steel so it stands out and won't trash die parts.

• Yeah, I bet that's pretty much the worst thing ever when processing bulk range-pick-up brass.

• @orkan

I usually don't run into it....but this one box has been horrible. I figured out which headstamp it was and actually sorted through them by hand to remove them. I don't think I will be buying brass from that guy again anytime soon.

• @dddoo7

I bought new Hornaday 6.5 brass about a year ago ran them through the sizer to smooth everything out and messed up everything in my die due to no primer hole needless to say I uniform primer pockets first now on all brass.

• @jibnast

Wow. That is horrible quality control. Imagine how frustrated you would have been if you hadn't run a pin through them first. You would have had a bunch of mis fires.

• I've been very busy with work. Spent a whole week in Houston for class to become certified and just haven't been able to do much.

I finally got my hand me down progressive press up and running and was able to load up my first batch of .45ACP ever. I got the Lee 4 die set and a Lee auto drum. I have to prime on my single stage still though. (makes me want a CPS lite everytime I prime brass)

200g RN X-Treme Bullets
    Remington 2 1/2 primers
    7 grains of Power Pistol
    Mixed brass

31966585314_7bda0eecab_c.jpg

My boy was putting the rounds in the boxes for me, then asked if he could run the press for a bit. I gave him instructions on what to check for and watched him every step of the way.

31966607994_9a0eccf86e_c.jpg

• @norcal_in_az That looks like a nice press, pretty HD.

• Put some safety glasses on that kid next time he's helping you. Running a progressive without safety glasses is a bit like grenade juggling.

• I wear safety glasses and ear plugs most all the time when loading. I've only had one primer get sideways and go off...but it was loud. I don't want to be without plugs if that happens again.

Primer was in the 1050 and was separated from the others so only one went off.

• @orkan said:

Put some safety glasses on that kid next time he's helping you. Running a progressive without safety glasses is a bit like grenade juggling.

Your absolutely correct. Will do, thanks for the reminder.

• @mamalukino said:

@norcal_in_az That looks like a nice press, pretty HD.

It's at least 30 years old I'm guessing. It's a Hornady Projector, the predecessor to the LNL press they now have. A lot of the press design is the same, but the priming system is completely different and I'm missing most of the parts.

I figured if I could get it running for 45ACP & 223 it would be worth it.

• Well I shot the 45 reloads yesterday. They worked really well. The 200 grain bullets didn't have as much recoil as the 230s, and I was able to keep 10 rounds in a 4"-5" circle at 10 yards. I'm not much of a pistol shooter, so for me thats great, lol.

• Current 223 inventory of bullets, 4 fresh boxes.
    Have partials in 52 HPBT and 68 HPBT

IMG_20170212_182830_zps84chbmk3.jpg

• Maintenance and cleaning today. The longer I have the fixitsticks...the less I am using any other torque wrench. They are small, simple, and accurate. I have several more torque limiters orderd from Orkan so that I will have a complete set.

84137238-736B-49F3-A6DA-BC57BC5BBE5F_zpsqur6ekwx.jpg

• @dddoo7 Did the bolt smooth out after some use? Did you lube it with anything particular?

• @tpk936

I thoroughly clean it about every 200 rounds now. I lube it with mobile 28 grease. Greg has a video for bolt disassembly and maintence which I have to watch every time when I put it back together. I always get one of the pieces backwards otherwise. I also wipe everything down with kroil before putting it back together.

The bolt is smoother than it was when it was new. I don't believe it will ever be as smooth as my tac ops but it is smoother than a lot of rifles. I picked up an RPR at a LGS a few days ago and it was horrendously rough. The DTA is smoother than my factory Rem 700 was too. It is still my favorite precision rifle to shoot. Ergo's are unmatched by any other rifle I have been behind.

• Some 123 SMK beauties.

dmzQ0Dc.jpg

• Think I'm over the hump, actually did something today...another couple of hundred primed via CPS_LITE....:smile:
    X0gKY5d.jpg

• Some little rockets ready for flight. Used my new concentricity gauge (big Mahalo Greg) on each one as they came out of the seater.
    These little fellars are all under .0015 runout with most .001 or less, put a big smile on my face.
    6oHedZW.jpg

• Has anyone tried the Lapua 6.5 Creed brass? Is there any real advantages to the small primer? Just wondering if the double the price is worth it.

• I am also interested in the 6.5 Lapua brass already. I just scored some Norma brass really cheap and have the possibility of buying more.

• Here is something I find enlightening. I use an electric toothbrush to compact powder, but it looks like using a slow pour and funnel with a drop tube really makes a difference.
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/04/powder-column-height-varies-with-case-filling-methods/

• Beware of things like this. If it doesn't happen just the same way each time, you'll have inconsistent ignition.

That is one of the HUGE benefits of the Prometheus, in that the powder hits the case the same exact way each time. It's mechanical in nature so I'd have to do something drastically different to get the powder to flow significantly different.

Powder that is "packed," so to speak, when the case fill is high enough to ensure that it's not going to really loosen up over time as the rounds are handled, will absolutely produce higher pressure curves than those which are not packed.

It goes without saying that doing things like this can be done uniformly, and some rifles and component combinations can actually be greatly benefited from doing it. ... but just mind how and what you're doing, as this is one thing that can result in over-pressure quite quickly.

• @orkan Which can be worse, packing down the powder or getting a slight crunch when seating? Or are they both equally risky?

I ask because I do get a crunch every now and again and have thought that maybe I should look into a different funnel and or tube.

• Nothing wrong with compressed loads if the situation calls for it. I guess I'd rather use a drop tube than crunch kernels with a bullet.

Nothing is "risky" if you have enough experience.

• While everyone was snoring away on the mainland US, I went on a priming binge last night, CPS LITE in action. I am slow, but then I check each and everyone before moving on to the next one.
    QKeZx9l.jpg

• @mamalukino

As in you measure the depth below flush for each primed case? Damn, that's some commitment.

RLTW
    (This space for rent)

• @ragnarnar
    I was thinking about that last night and came to the conclusion that nothing is going to shift. I am simply amazed at the consistent depth. I need to stop being so anal.:laughing:
    On another note, when its midnight CTZ it is only 7 pm here.

• @mamalukino said:

On another note, when its midnight CTZ it is only 7 pm here.

Wow...no wonder you get so much done. You have 5 more hours in a day than we do over here!

• @dddoo7 LOL , I see you up after MN quite a bit.