Load Development Guide

• The question of load development comes up frequently. It's a very difficult thing to reduce to text, but I gave it a shot anyway! Let me know if there is anything you'd like to understand which I left out. I can always update it! :)

http://www.primalrights.com/articles/load-development

• Long read, but very good.

• @rhyno said:

Long read, but very good.

^^^What he said^^^:smile:

99% of the Lawyers make the rest look bad.

• I glazed over it yesterday. Once I have some free time I do plan on reading it all the way through.

• As always, a well written piece of valuable info. Thanks Greg!!

• Thanks guys. If something needs clarified just let me know. Meanwhile your support is very appreciated. Push that out to all your friends and forums! :)

• Nice article, Greg!

It raises a question that I've thought about occasionally - can you expect a given load that you've developed to perform the same if you use a different bullet of the same weight as the developed load? In theory, it would seem that the only characteristic of the bullet that would influence MV/barrel/time/oscillation frequency would be the weight, so you should be able to switch out bullets of the same weight in any load you develop, and save a lot of time/components by not going through another complete development process. Does this theory hold in practice?

Thanks,

Dave

• @daved said:

Nice article, Greg!

It raises a question that I've thought about occasionally - can you expect a given load that you've developed to perform the same if you use a different bullet of the same weight as the developed load? In theory, it would seem that the only characteristic of the bullet that would influence MV/barrel/time/oscillation frequency would be the weight, so you should be able to switch out bullets of the same weight in any load you develop, and save a lot of time/components by not going through another complete development process. Does this theory hold in practice?

Thanks,

Dave

No, different bullet... different load characteristics. Especially so if the bullet has drastically different bearing surface. However, many other factors come into play such as ogive shape and jacket composition, etc. I've seen bullets of the same weight require about 1.5gr different charge to get into the node. Obviously it is also true that while some may shoot different, some may shoot the same. Separate work-ups will be required to confirm.

• Thanks, Greg - your answer is not unexpected. I had thought about bearing surface perhaps making a difference but did not consider the ogive or jacket material as factors. Oh well, load development is still shooting - and that's why we do what we do :smiley: