Investment Casting

• Hey guys, the more and more I get to use some of my friends Weatherby Vanguards and Howa 1500s the more and more I want to do a build on one.

I recently found out that they are Investment Cast though, and some people thought this was bad. I have no idea really, I looked it up and it sounds like it's just a casting method that uses wax so it can be easily melted out.

Just wanted to see what everyone here thought.

• Cast parts are obviously not going to be as "strong" as things machined from billet. However, I don't recall howa's or weatherby's having strength issues that weren't caused by the user. My obvious push would be toward a higher end custom action... however, this is largely driven by budget.

• @rhyno said:

Hey guys, the more and more I get to use some of my friends Weatherby Vanguards and Howa 1500s the more and more I want to do a build on one.

I recently found out that they are Investment Cast though, and some people thought this was bad. I have no idea really, I looked it up and it sounds like it's just a casting method that uses wax so it can be easily melted out.

Just wanted to see what everyone here thought.

I believe that is not correct....http://www.howarifles.eu/1.html

• BARRELED ACTIONS receiver and bolt are forged steel

Says it in no uncertain terms! Where did you see they are cast rhyno?

• @mamalukino huh conflicting information on the internet. Lol.

@Orkan I agree a custom action would be nice and I could swing it buy I'd have to wait longer.

I'm thinking of doing a 223 for practice and varmint/coyote, eventually, it seems like every day I live adds to things I think I need. Cutting out some other hobbies cut that down a bit.

Weatheryby offers a couple of interesting combinations in 223.

• @orkan said:

BARRELED ACTIONS receiver and bolt are forged steel

Says it in no uncertain terms! Where did you see they are cast rhyno?

From American Rifleman:
    The Howa action is a two-lug repeating design with a forged-steel receiver. The upper portion of the receiver is round with a 1.340" diameter, while the lower part of the receiver is flat on the sides and bottom, giving extra rigidity as well as simplifying bedding. A pivoting lever on the left side of the receiver serves as a bolt stop/release.

• @orkan some thread somewhere, one of the local gunsmiths on that forum swore they were investment cast after working on a couple. I didn't believe it but thought I'd ask.

• Well this can probably be locked up then.

Thanks gentlemen.

• Check Brownells, they are selling Howa barreled actions at a reasonable price. B&C, XLR, MDT, Mc Millan and others for stock or chassis.

• If you watch, you can get a good used rem700 for cheap sometimes too. Find one all beat to hell and send it to Travis!

• This will be awhile yet, the plan is to save for a Burris XTR or similar priced scope ($1200 or so) which will take 2.5-3 months then put that on my current rifle. Then save for the Howa (figure another $1200 for everything maybe more) and be good to go.

I'd love to send another rifle to Travis and will have to think about that to if I can find a cheap Remington, though Im not a fan of Remington's anymore. For the same price you can get a Howa with m16 extractor, integral lug, and better craftsmanship.

I think a 1:9 twist 223 stock howa would work for what I want until I can save up some more money.

• You will more than likely be able to shoot up to 75 grainers very well with that twist.

• That's what I was thinking.

Shoot 68-75 gainers

Put a scope somewhere in the range of 2-10 or 3-15 on it

Short 20" barrel

Nice little 600 yard rifle for the range, truck, and tractor.

It would be nice to get it done by Harvest time, but I don't know if I will.

• @rhyno I would go with the 3-15 :thumbsup:

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.