Barndominium Addition

• A few pictures of the additions progress I started several weeks ago. We are bogged down right now with the holiday and waiting for an air conditioning contractor that just can't seem to get to me. Once he has done some receivers and duct work we can proceed with the foam insulation and I can get the walls and ceiling covered up. I did the wiring and plumbing and cased out the three windows and two doors. When you frame inside a metal building the window sills end up being about ten inches deep and there's a couple of ways to do them I just case them with 3/4 birch plywood and paint it you can also sheetrock in there as well. Since there was no plumbing in the slab it all runs on the surface and through walls and requires back flush toilets and either raised tubs and showers or jack hammer the slab out for drains. We did hammer out for the tub in the expansion and put the trap outside so we didn't have to get into a perimeter beam and deal with cutting rebar. I'll have to finish covering the trap or it could freeze in cold weather being it's exposed. I got most of the new drain line covered so it should be ok. Doesn't look too pretty but not too much I can do about it unless I put in a lift tank and a pump. We have a nice loft for storage and the welder that built the metal building is going to make me a kind of a dumb waiter or elevator to move stuff up and down from the loft. He has made them before and would be handy moving items without having to struggle with a ladder. Don't have enough room in the rest of the shop for a staircase. lsbhlI0.jpg
    orJNhTB.jpg
    D9uxYZ9.jpg

MzzTW2A.jpg
    iWtex6W.jpg

• A couple more of the window detail and framing.
    3NHju5i.jpg
    6QH2Ve0.jpg
    My cramped new workspace.
    cUhTp63.jpg

• A few pictures of the lean to we turned into living quarters a few years back. This is where we are staying now as the old house is full of our stuff from the move and will continue once the other rooms are finished. Hopefully we can get some of the furniture out of the house and make room for guests if we ever have any and do some other repairs on it. The original plan was the barn was going to be storage for the tractor and Polaris and all the stuff we use around here like sprayers and tools. Once we started the second remodel on the old house I bought a FEMA trailer and parked it under the lean to and stored most of the personal stuff from the house in it so we could make some room in the house to paint. I even had thought about renting the house but got that out of my system pretty quick. First the outer walls had to be fabricated and some ceiling joists then I went inside and framed the bathroom and closet and the living area. Some of the framing was strip framing and the rest was conventional 2x4 stud framing. I used 1x4 pine for strips on the three exterior walls that were added. It made the wall thickness narrower than if I had studded walls like the new part I am currently doing. It took more labor to do the stripping but still works fine. When it was all done we had about 45 dollars a square foot in this part including a/c and appliances. Only labor was the foam insulation and flooring and I had a friend of mine help me frame and wire it. My wife and I did the rest. The guy that did the vinyl plank floor did my backsplash in the kitchen. I bought laminate counter tops that were a little over 600 bucks installed. The cabinets were built in my shop in Palacios and some of the furniture as well.
    5OdtT9t.jpg
    5OdtT9t.jpg
    Imgur
    CXIVGx1.jpg

MR6K9pE.jpg
    I forgot I did have to get Marvin back to do the metal work and he doesn't work for free. He is very reasonable though and as a matter of fact I owe him for some work he did over a month ago. Maybe he's waiting for Christmas to lay it on me.

• I'm having a time with the pictures for some reason.
    MR6K9pE.jpg
    jMZKCEG.jpg

• Very cool. Excellent cabinetry work!

• @orkan Thanks, I kind of build them my way since I never worked with a professional cabinet builder. Cabinets are really just boxes it's the doors and other details that take some accurate tools to pull off. Just like machining repeatability is the key to success. If all the dimensions are accurately cut you stand a good chance of everything being square. An eighth inch looks like a foot when you are out of square. I'm going to take a stab at building the bathroom cabinets here in the shop so I have to pull some tools out of the storage container since I'm short on room in the shop. These cabinets are red oak which is my favorite material to use. I have built ash and maple pieces as well but oak is my preferred wood.

• I'm in the process of building another set of "boxes and doors" for my new reloading room right now. ;)

Suffice it to say, I too am self taught, and a pro cabinet maker would cringe at the sight of what I'm doing. lol

• @orkan I think you have a pretty sharp eye for detail and that's what it's about and some sharp saw blades. The best gadget I bought is a Kreg Junior pocket screw jig for making the face frames. I used to toe nail them together or use blocks on the back side of joints some people call them nailers. You can do all kinds of things with pocket screws and believe me Kreg has plenty of educational material out there. Nice doors and drawer slabs can be made with minimal tools and if you have a router you can do some detailing with roundover bits and such. You can also make some pretty nice doors with mouldings I have done a few of them. Just need a miter saw and a brad nailer. And use glue, I glue every joint whether it needs it or not. The nails are just clamps and if they get loose you have a loose joint.

• Here's the start of building shaker style doors. Basically a tongue and groove operation done on a shaper or in my case a router table. You have to keep all the pieces orientated the same way after making the grooves and tenons in the router table. If you flip a piece over the joint will be off and looks bad. A production door shop has way better machines than a router table I have seen them demonstrated in person. They spit out doors at an alarming rate and most cabinet makers build the boxes and then buy the doors from a door shop. Raised panel doors take some very sophisticated equipment however they can be made with conventional tools. I never tried doing any just flat panel stuff.
    zQNBCCL.jpg
    Finished product:xTFTtpO.jpg

• @bigfoot Here's the set up to do the banding on the style of doors in my kitchen. I have used this style for several other jobs. One run of cabinets I did had inset doors and drawer fronts in this style. You have to use inset Euro type hinges and make the openings pretty precise for the exact reveal. I did mess up on a couple when I first started making them.
    ERRWbSJ.jpg
    IXbRntV.jpg
    A cute little kitchen I did for a contractor at a vacation home. He did the painting and the total remodel I'm not too happy with his shadowing detail on the styles and rails. Owner requested it and they were happy that's all that matters. Those tiny drawers were a killer to get the hardware in and the wine rack gave me some grief.
    ySg4gKd.jpg
    fa2nDC9.jpg

• Big week ahead. The air conditioning contractor finally started on my system. I fired him then called him back after two other bids that just didn't set well with me actually it was not the cost but their attitude. Now it seems like everything is in fast forward the foam insulation guy texted me and is coming a day early and the sheetrock guy wants to meet Saturday. Two months ago they were invisible. Time to get er' done hopefully.

• We got the insulation shot in yesterday so that's one step ahead. The ac guys even showed up today to do some work.
    q9mMCOM.jpg

• I forget when they started on this, maybe two weeks ago and here we are. With the exception of one day they come and work about three hours then take off. I waited around all day Friday for them to show up and also the sheetrock guy. The sheetrock guy sent me a text and cancelled around two pm but added if I wanted too I could meet him Saturday at the crack of dawn to give him some money for materials. That didn't happen. I sound like I am complaining but I know this isn't the building industry standard for conduct or maybe it is now. SMH.
    RBNiCeB.jpg

• @bigfoot If I've learned anything in life, it's that the vast majority of construction contractors are scam artists. Anything that has to do with building of a new home, or any of its systems, is rife with laziness, apathy, and malevolence. After having gone through it, I don't think I will ever do it again as long as I live, regardless of my financial situation.