Homemade Laundry Soap Recipe #1 of 5

• I have 5 recipes for homemade laundry soap that I'll be sharing with you. They all work great, the only difference is the time it takes to make them and how many loads you get out of each batch.

Fels Naptha Concentrated Liquid Detergent
    Ingredients:
    2 bars Fels Naptha
    2 cups 20 Mule Team Borax
    2 cups Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
    1/2 cup original blue Dawn dish soap (optional but fights grease better)
    6 cups of hot water

Directions:
    Put 6 cups of water on to heat. Add grated Fels Naptha. Keep stirring until the soap is completely melted. Don’t let this boil or you’ll have soap all over the place.
    When the soap has melted turn off the heat and add the Borax and the Washing Soda . The powders will dissolve into the liquid.

Pour the liquid equally into 4 quart jars. Now, add just enough water to bring the contents up to the “shoulders” of the jar. This will leave about 1 ½ inches of head-space. Put lids on the jars and let them sit overnight (about 8 hours).
    The soap in the jars will separate while it is standing. This is OK. There will be firm soap on top and kind of gel-like soap on the bottom. Sometimes "crystals" form at the bottom of the jar, don't worry.

Next, spoon out all of this into your blender. If there are crystals, I use HOT water and stir a bit. I add this to the blender too.

Start on the lowest speed of your blender or mixer and increase the speed gradually. Your result will be something that looks like really thick, pale yellow whipped cream. You may need to scrape the sides down with a spatula a few times to get it all the way blended.

Pour/spoon the now blended soap back into the quart jar(s). Your jar(s) will be all the way full now and you may even have a little more for another jar. Pop a lid onto the jar(s) and your soap will keep indefinitely. It gets a little firmer in the jar when it sits, but it stays spoon-able.

Use 1 - 2 Tablespoons per large load. Makes 256 loads (1 T. ) or 128 loads (2 T. )
    Also smear a little of this paste on stains then wash

"A woman trying to function like a man is as ridiculous as a man trying to be like a woman. A unisex society is a senseless society—a society dangerously out of order. " - DP