Powder Cans, then and now

• A few years ago I was lucky enough to inherit reloading equipment from my Father-in-law. This included a small press and a selection of dies and components which started me out on reloading. I’ve since upgraded to a Forster press and continue to enjoy reloading and the increased shooting it allows.

I thought I would share a couple of old vs new powder cans. I only realized the other day what “IMR” stands for. 8)

I have a few of these rifle powder cans on display in my shop. They were empty, but the bullseye pistol powder can was still half full and functioned flawlessly for .38 spl target loads.

After checking with the powder manufacturers, they said that if the powder wasn’t discolored or have a strong off-smell they would still be safe to use.

Does anyone else have vintage reloading equipment or components to share?

1_1589813121017_3787BA8D-FABF-4643-AFF0-C76399568DD7.jpeg

0_1589813121015_97DACCA4-2B58-4DDE-809B-5C239CDE7251.jpeg

• This is one of the cans that came with my inherited loading gear. Not quite as old as your can.

vgY5xiA.jpg

• In the picture look at the left shelf unit bottom shelf. On the right is an old powder keg I got from a friends house after a fire. I believe it was red dot pistol powder. I almost took a picture when I was packing up my reloading stuff a week ago. It's a red cylindrical keg I guess eight pounds or maybe a ten. I also have a really old Lyman powder measure maybe I have a picture.
    mz9rFAC.jpg

• I started to reload in 1970 and that old can brings back some good memories.

• Ahhh, you young pups. That ‘pop top’ can of Hercules bullseye brings back memories. Never used bullseye but more than my share of 2400 in those same cans. And is there anybody that remembers any of the ‘Hi-vel’ powders? Probably not many but ponder a full charge for a 30-06 at 30-35 gr.... but was great tgt load back in the day.