Big Changes

• This might be one heck of a ride. My wife turned in her retirement papers and this might be our new home and shop in a few months. Got to get this Corona thing behind us first.
    600 square feet of living area and 900 shop, just right. We also have a hundred year old house about 1100 square feet if we don't have it moved and build a new barndominium. I think I have one more in me.
    Gk802E1.jpg

• We've been working on this house my dad grew up in since 2005. It was moved from another ranch here sometimes in the thirties I believe. It was added onto at one time and originally had a cedar shingle roof and only the ship lap siding. I don't know when they put the asbestos shingles on and the roof is new along with 16 windows. My wife and I did tons of work inside but now the foundation is catching up with us even after a straighten up several years back. It's a money pit but hard to part with. I don't know what to do honestly.
    duHnoaS.jpg

• If you're moving to that other place... you'll just sell that won't you?

• @orkan The ranch property is where we plan to move and this house is the original homestead. I built the barn and small living quarters ( first picture ) just a stones throw from it after tearing all the old structures down that were next to the house that were hay barns and little implement sheds that were falling down. I currently live two hundred miles away directly on the coast in a barndo and it's going up for sale with my shop almost four acres and all and I'm headed to the ranch. No more playing with hurricanes. As far as the old house I would rather have it moved maybe sell it for a few bucks and build something new instead of dumping more money in it. It's not too bad but it still needs work. Totally gutting it and starting new would be the best solution if it stays or just keep putting band aids on it as we go and save our money. We really like the barn but I am the kind of person that just can't sit still if something needs fixing.
    My grandmother lived there her entire life even after grandpa died she didn't want to leave but in 2005 she realized it was time to come stay with us. She had just turned 95 that August and passed away a couple of days before Christmas that year.

• My own experiences would tell me that putting money into something with foundation problems probably isn't the best idea.

• @bigfoot It sounds to be like you might be struggling with a bit of "clutter psychology".

People can hold onto things out of a sense of the comfort that comes with familiarity. We can also hold onto things out of a sense of duty or responsibility. "It was my mother/father/brother/etc, so I owe it to our legacy to keep it." These things can be rewarding in our lives, but more often than not they become anchors holding us back from progress.

I know I have struggled with some of this in my life, but as I get older (53 now) my sense of mortality has become increasingly real. When we are young, we tend to act as if our good health and prosperity will last forever. But I am realizing more so than ever that this is a finite journey, and it has made it significantly easier to let go of things, physical possessions, if ownership of them is not progressing my life.

Maybe look at the situation from a strictly financial one, what makes the most sense from an emotionless position? Then only after figuring out that do you bring in your competing emotional attachments on the subject. If you are being steered in opposing directions, then ask yourself why do you have those attachments, do they make sense, will there be any reward from following those emotional drivers? Maybe after all that analytical process you can better decide if making a choice opposed to your best financial interest is actually giving you a worthwhile reward in exchange. It may be, and it may not be. But at least you will be making a well-considered choice.

• @flyinphill Yes I do have that disease. Some good advice, thanks. I inherited not only this place but the responsibility like you said and even pets. Talk about a mind trip. In any estate there's good and bad and hopefully the participants all get along which we do. I'm over sixty and this place is a big part of my life as well as where I live now on the coast. The reality is we can't have both places and if I have to choose, well, I'm choosing now. I have spent most of this week at my residence trying to get rid of the stuff I have here left over from all the years and it's embarrassing. I need to just get a dumpster and let it rip. We had an appraisal done here and have the ad ready to put it up for sale and then this crisis has hit. Talk about bad timing. I sure would like to be moved before hurricane season.
    I have been dragging that anchor you are talking about for ten years now and I need to put it in the rack.

• @orkan I agree. We already had to go under and change out some sills and jack the fireplace back up and into the house after it settled and pulled loose. The kitchen and bath foundation was also changed while the floors were out. Twenty six thousand bucks the first go around. If I ever get up there permanently I hope to get a contractor to give me a bid on a total fix and base my decision on that.

• Bigfoot, I’m in a very similar place with my grandpa’s ranch house. I’m emotionally attached to it but it’s not structurally sound nor realistically repairable. I hate to be the one to tear it down but if my kids are going to have a habitable hunting cabin, it has to come down. There must be 50 coats of lead paint, the foundations are failing the plumbing and electric are dodgy bordering on dangerous, the framing is so old and dry it won’t take a nail. I’m not planning on living there but one of my sons may so when the estate is settled, I’m selling my interest in the detached property near San Antonio and using the money to fence the home place and build a nice home and guest cabin there.

• @rr2241tx I got to tell this story about these old folks that settled this area of Texas after the civil war and independence from Mexico. I'm sure you have some of your own as well. My grandmothers mother was widowed I don't know the year but she ran the ranching after her husband died along with the sons and daughters. She had a team of mules and like most of the women at that time did a lot of the plowing. When the children were small she tied them to a tree in the shade while she plowed. Didn't want them roaming around and getting snake bit. No CPS back then. Well that lady made it through the depression and worse times like droughts and cattle dying and crops that failed but managed to have money in the bank. Big accomplishment for most men much more for a woman at that time. She decided one day to divide up her property among her children by drawing straws each one being a parcel of land. I think there was six straws in all. This is how we ended up with our place after my grandmother traded with one of her sisters. It's next to a section they had bought at that time. The original homestead of my grandmothers family ended up with my great aunt Beulah and she had one daughter that lived in San Antonio. My dad and I tried many times to buy that place but she had that same disease flyinphill named and always said they would retire there and never sell it. Well, they never did anything and she ended up with severe dementia and her husband had Parkinsons as well with no kids. So, they left it to a cousin that was their caretaker for their final years. Get this, he lives in Minnesota. I drove by the main gate one day and he was sitting there in his car looking at the old house so I stopped. He said he was thinking about selling his farm in Minnesota and moving back down here. He even came over and checked out our setup and we had a long talk. Later that summer we saw smoke coming from the direction of his place so we drove over there. There was a dozer sitting where the house used to be and a pit dug with the house just about burned up. The guy that leases it for cows told us he called and said tear it down and burn it and send me a bill. Guess he wasn't too attached to the place like I am. I haven't seen him since and this was seven or eight years ago.

• My wife is a borderline hoarder, she gets very attached to.......stuff. I hold on to many things for too long, but I am not really a hoarder. Last year, I had enough and was ready to change my ways of thinking and living. We rented 2 full-sized dumpsters over a 3 month period and filled them overflowing. I also sold off almost all of my car stuff. I don't regret one thing that is gone. It was hard on my wife, but in the end very liberating for her.

A guy that was a co-worker of a friend, and much older than us, gave us some advice when I was maybe 18 or 19 years old. He said that his rule was, if he hadn't touched it in the span of one year, then it was just an anchor in his life. So every spring, he went through everything in his house, garage, etc. If he hadn't done anything with it since the previous Spring, then it left his possession one way or another. It only took me 35 years to figure out he was on to something.

• This past week I have been cleaning out my shop here to get ready if we get a contract on my house. I hired a young guy for one day and he took an eight foot trailer load and the bed of his pickup full of "junk". He came back yesterday and I filled the back of his truck up with some of that stuff like your friends that hasn't been touched in not only a year but a decade. Brand new galvanized nails and deck screws making up the bulk of it. I also gave him an air compressor, a Delta table saw, a saber saw and a portable work station. I use pneumatic nail guns and hardly ever use a single nail and honestly I haven't pulled the trigger on a framing gun in three years but I have three of them along with a case of nails for each one. Guess they will make the move along with the rest of the large woodworking tools. I have one more cabinet to empty and that will pretty much do it. Back during the Christmas break I got in touch with the high school shop teacher here and gave them all of my hardwood I had in my lumber racks. It was a sixteen foot trailer about half full mostly short drops but perfect for projects the students could make. All they could afford is pine so some oak and ash was greatly appreciated. Boy, I'm glad I got that behind me now. To top it off the school told the teachers if you have personal things in your classroom come get them out so two pickup loads came out of my wife's room Sunday and Monday. She's retired anyway so it is as good a time as any. There was a small hope of resuming classes but that's not going to happen. Today they are issuing portable devices to all the students here to access their classes from home we'll see how that goes.