2020 appears to be the year of the 22lr.

• Don't know if you guys have been paying attention to shot show, but 2020 seems to be the year of the 22.

Zermatt (Bighorn actions)
    Curtis
    Ultimatum
    Christensen
    All have new actions or rifles for 22lr

Bergara just came out with a 22lr (on a R700 footprint) a few months ago.

KRG came out with their 10/22 Bravo chassis

2020 looks like it could be real interesting in the 22lr tactical trainer game.

• Interesting. I am tempted to buy a custom 22 action, but I keep telling myself that it doesn’t gain me anything over the 40x I already have.

• @dddoo7 you have an extremely nice 40x, I don't have enough experience with rimfire to know if it could be improved upon, but seeing who worked to make that thing I have my doubts. (I should make it clearer, I know pretty much nothing about rimfire, other than I enjoy shooting it immensely)

Next fall/winter I would really like to purchase a nice repeater 22lr, my 40xs are nice but I would like to be able to compete in NRL22, that looks pretty fun and there's a couple clubs within a couple hours drive.

• I have a friend anxious to sell a very nice Winchester 52D. It’s a single shot but could be converted to 52C repeater format. 52D is among the most accurate 22LR ever made. He’s asking $950.

• I was at Academy yesterday and there was a young man with a little boy perched in the seat of his basket fingering the 22 ammunition. The employee that stocks the ammunition section was stuffing the shelves with new products and the guy asked him where is the target 22 stuff? He said ain't got none that's it. I was just fixing to take his place because I had bought Federal Ultra match there before but sure enough only thing close was standard velocity. I handed him a box of it and said it's good to practice with and he said well it's for my daughter who is in the 4H shooting club. I have been hearing this a lot and it seems there might be a renewed interest in this sport on the kids level. Don't know if it has anything to do with firearm awareness or maybe it's always been popular I don't know. He told me the club guns are Savage Mark II's and he had one at home but minus the peep sights. I had seen those models in a gun shop just never put two and two together about 4H using them. I was spouting off about a couple of 52's and 513's and some Mossbergs I had leads on but realized a small child couldn't pick one up much less hold one when they are just starting the program. Maybe when they develop but he was going shopping for a better rig anyway and mentioned a Tikka. As a matter of fact they were processing two buyers at the gun counter for 22's as I was window shopping. The first gun I got was a 22 so maybe we are just paying more attention and the industry is too. The cost and quality though has drastically changed with the exception of the higher end rimfires made years ago that now are appreciated for what they are.

• I never shot 22lr much, my first gun was a 12ga, followed by a 25-06 then a 30-06, I didn't own a 22lr till my 20s.

I wish there was a league like the NRL22 growing up, or even that I knew about 4h 22lr, but I never heard about that growing up.

Shotgun sports are pretty big among high school kids as well (another thing I don't remember hearing about growing up)

22lr is interesting, there's a lot of potential to expand the pool of people involved in shooting sports.

When I saw Glock came out with a 22lr, then Vector came out a couple weeks later and Bergara announced before them I shot my buddy a text that said, 2020 will be the year of the 22lr, just watch. And it looks like I was right.

And I'm pretty excited, I shoot 22lr off of my porch, now that it's light at home I got some steel targets in my yard at 25 and 50 yards and I plan to get more that I sit down and shoot about every night, practice the fundamentals, it's fun. It's enjoyable enough that as I said I would like to try going to a NRL22 match, but I don't think either of my single shot 40x rifles would work very well.

I dunno, I like what's happening with 22, its exciting.

• @rhyno You know what? I got a 410 shotgun before a 22 thinking back. First thing I killed with it was an armadillo with it and we ate the dang thing. Got some squirrels too and ate them. My mother made my dad do the frying though. She wouldn't even fry frog legs. Yummy. Somewhere between the two I got a Benjamin .177 air rifle. 22's are popular that's for sure.

• I'm a bit surprised that the 3gun people aren't pushing manufacturers to come out with some more 410s, maybe the 20ga is sufficient enough. But with some of the 22lr pistols out there now I would think that could be a huge push for 3 gunners, 22 pistol, 22 AR, 410 shotgun, that would be a pretty easy way to get a youth division. The pistols and are are fairly inexpensive, the trouble would be semi auto shotguns tend not to be, and 410 shells are fairly spendy.

• There were no organized shooting sports for youth in my area during the 1960s. A lot of us carried our 22s and deer rifles in our cars to school every day and you could bring your rifle to school without anyone getting triggered but there was no organized competition in school, Boy Scouts, 4-H, nor any other clubs of which I was aware. Odd that now that even a pencil sketch of a finger pistol will get you expelled and your parents put on the CPS watch list there are school shooting teams. Our local 4-H Club was sponsoring 22LR, shotgun, and air rifle teams a few years ago but I know for sure the 22LR and shotgun teams were disbanded because I bought some of their Anschutz 64 rifles and their shotgun team practiced at our range for free and haven't been there in over two years. Lots of immigrants from The People's Republic of Kalifornia coming to this area bringing their dingbat ideas with them.

• I've gone in a different direction beginning in 2020. I sold my 22LR practice rifle to purchase a new 6.5 Creedmoor practice rifle. Practice now is at a distance of 300 yards. The goal is to protect the round count on my match rifle while improving my wind calls and reloading skills. A round trip from the reloading bench to the new range for a three shot cold bore group is just under an hour. Life is good.

• @rhyno While I was at Academy I spotted a new Taurus 22 pistol. It was the high capacity one they make but the gun counter only had one employee and like I said he was doing two transfers. They take forever in there then have to walk the gun out so I left. Never got to look at it. Somebody else is making a high capacity one, maybe Ruger.

• @bigfoot if it was the TX22 I have it, 16 round capacity, full size feel nice gun, I've put a couple hundred rounds of bulk federal through it and haven't had a failure yet.

• @rhyno
    That was it. It was hidden behind the other 22 pistols and I wanted to get a close look. I have a Taurus Tracker 22 Mag that has held up good and my 22 auto's are ten rounders. The high capacity is what caught my interest.

• @lathoto said in 2020 appears to be the year of the 22lr.:

I've gone in a different direction beginning in 2020. I sold my 22LR practice rifle to purchase a new 6.5 Creedmoor practice rifle. Practice now is at a distance of 300 yards. The goal is to protect the round count on my match rifle while improving my wind calls and reloading skills. A round trip from the reloading bench to the new range for a three shot cold bore group is just under an hour. Life is good.

I was thinking the same thing but then I look at the cost of putting on a new barrel to the match grade system, I wonder if practicing with another rifle is worth it.