ARC Mausingfield

• I just saw a video of the features of these actions. Looks cool

Anyone have any hands on time with these? It looks like it has a Remington foot print with a couple neat features.

I just can't tell yet if its hype or innovation.

RLTW
    (This space for rent)

• There are some nifty features there, but the few (5 or 6) that I've had my hands on had very unimpressive bolt lift ergo's when compared to Surgeon, BAT, Bighorn, Lone Peak, or Kelbly's actions.

• Is it me, or do the screws on the mausingfield look smaller? The heads are bigger, the the threads and shank look smaller haha.

• @orkan said:

There are some nifty features there, but the few (5 or 6) that I've had my hands on had very unimpressive bolt lift ergo's when compared to Surgeon, BAT, Bighorn, Lone Peak, or Kelbly's actions.

Thats good enough for me.

I wait till its proven itself (and hopefully the price comes down a little) before I decide to jump in.

RLTW
    (This space for rent)

• @ragnarnar said:

@orkan said:

There are some nifty features there, but the few (5 or 6) that I've had my hands on had very unimpressive bolt lift ergo's when compared to Surgeon, BAT, Bighorn, Lone Peak, or Kelbly's actions.

Thats good enough for me.

I wait till its proven itself (and hopefully the price comes down a little) before I decide to jump in.

I wouldn't see the pricing going down. Action prices are going up, rather than down. These actions have an absolutely rabid cultist following already. Any time anyone brings up bolt manipulation issues or anything else, they are shouted down as if the mausingfield is the second coming. This will keep the price where it is, or higher.

I do think they are an innovative action. I also think they are a lot better than a lot of other actions such as Stiller, for instance. However, I do not think they are in the same category as others when it pertains to polished operation. Could be that they are all that way, or it could be that the half dozen I've had my hands on just weren't done well. Either way, every single BAT or Surgeon I've ever touched was completely swimmy.

The Bighorn TL3 is going to be a player very soon. As is the Lone Peak Fuzion. I had a Fuzion in my hands over at @tscustoms a while back, and it took all of a couple minutes before I decided to order a couple. The Impact! actions are also quite impressive. So, the long and short of it is that there are several very nice actions coming along this year that are game-changing in their smoothness of operation. I'd keep a close eye if you're in the market!

• I've never heard of the lone peak until yesterday, they do look interesting.

The mausingfield looks interesting.

Never heard of Impact! (Why the ! Mark? Ugh)

• @rhyno said:

Never heard of Impact! (Why the ! Mark? Ugh)

What do you hear when you hit a target at a match?

• Haha, wow, clever.

I Google them quick and say $325 got excited then saw that was just the preorder deposit haha.

• I'm not in the market just yet, but I will be again shortly. I just like to keep my ear to the ground and was curious to the consensus of the group.

As of now I'm leaning towards a deviant short action, with the surgeon 591 as a close second, but I'll take a look at the others that were mentioned.

RLTW
    (This space for rent)

• @ragnarnar said:

I'm not in the market just yet, but I will be again shortly. I just like to keep my ear to the ground and was curious to the consensus of the group.

As of now I'm leaning towards a deviant short action, with the surgeon 591 as a close second, but I'll take a look at the others that were mentioned.

I'd want to put hands on the exact Deviant I was getting before purchasing it. Had a couple through the shop lately that were not so good. Misfit bolts and firing assemblies made for disappointing bolt manipulation. I've got one on my main match gun that is about as good as an action can get. Lucky for me, I've got the best one I've ever felt. However, it didn't come out of the box that way. Some spring manipulation, targeted polishing, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 15,000 bolt cycles slicked it up.

• I won't have the chance to touch it before I buy.

And now I'm leaning towards the surgeon 591...

RLTW
    (This space for rent)

• @ragnarnar said:

I won't have the chance to touch it before I buy.

And now I'm leaning towards the surgeon 591...

Hell of a lot better way to be leaning than the defiance, that's for sure. ;)

Travis and I can help you narrow your choices a lot, but we'd need to know the purpose of the rifle.

• I was this close:ok_hand: to buying a defiance. Had it all lined up on bugholes as soon as it came back in stock.

So its a good thing I brought this up.....

I want a precision .308 for the same reason I got that .223 I've been bending your ear about; general improvement as a shooter and reloader. I've been told that, if you can shoot a .308 well you can shoot anything well. This makes sense to me because a .308 won't let you cheat the way a ballistically superior bullet like a 6.5 will. Barrel life of 4000+ rounds is a nice plus too.

As for the purpose I'd like to ruin the surface of steel plates and punch 30 caliber holes in paper out to 800-1000 yards.

I'm slowly putting the parts together, I've got bartlein m24 .308 barrel and seekins bottom metal in hand and a Manners T4A in the works. Only thing I need is the action and a gunsmith to put it together.

RLTW
    (This space for rent)

• Well as for gunsmith, you need to send it to TS Customs. If Travis can build rifles to my standard, he can build rifles for any man alive. Ask him. He'll tell you I'm as discerning and demanding of a customer he can find. Send it somewhere else, and you're rolling the dice... and may god have mercy on you sir. You wouldn't believe the shit I've seen from some of the most so-called "reputable" shops out there. That's all I'll say about it.

Your estimation of the 308 is spot on. It has just enough recoil to truly test your firing position and exterior ballistics which are poor enough to ensure you must really be on your game to hold it to MOA at 1000yds. Now this is considering a standard 20-26" barrel length with something like a 175SMK. However, if you go with a 30" barrel and 155's... well you basically can match a 6.5CM or 300WM trajectory to 1000yds. The 308 is a remarkably versatile cartridge. The most training value will come from the 175's and shorter barrels.

If you want an action right now, a Surgeon 591 with tactical knob should be pretty easy to find. OTM Tactical generally has them and Joe is great to deal with. I just recently got a 591 over there.

Last time I talked to Jamie @ Wolf Precision, he wasn't selling any more BAT Tactical actions... so that kind of kills that idea. A BAT VR is basically the same thing, except I don't think those are melonited like the tactical's are. I'm also not sure of where you'd find one of those in stock.

Either of those two actions are clear winners in the "have it right now" best of the best category. The BAT is a little "smoother" but gives up a little reliability in the 591's favor.

If you can wait a few months, the Impact! or Lone Peak Fuzion would be two easy choices.

• Thanks orkan. All that about lines up with what I had in mind.

I'm now leaning towards the 591 simply because I had hands on time with it and its got the reputation for being accurate. (And the advice from you and Travis)

I have to call manners and change my inlet.

RLTW
    (This space for rent)

• @ragnarnar said:

Thanks orkan. All that about lines up with what I had in mind.

I'm now leaning towards the 591 simply because I had hands on time with it and its got the reputation for being accurate. (And the advice from you and Travis)

I have to call manners and change my inlet.

The best way to get a manners is to grab one in stock somewhere on bullets.com or euro optic. I hope manners can grow through this period of quality control issues, but our customers count on us to tell it how it is, not how we wish it was. At least if you grab one in stock somewhere you won't have to wait for an eternity. ;)

Travis can make sure your action fits. :)

• Orkan, coming in clutch with the links today....

I'll look around again and see if I can find a stock I want. I've a line on a few semi locally.
    I'll have to find the other hardware for it too.

Also what barrel is that on the 17 Rem? I'm still looking at having one done and it looks like my best option is a Lilja or Pac Nor

RLTW
    (This space for rent)

• @ragnarnar said:

Also what barrel is that on the 17 Rem? I'm still looking at having one done and it looks like my best option is a Lilja or Pac Nor

Mine is a lilja 9 twist. Those boys just seem to have the small bore gig figured out all the way over there.

• Stockystocks also has Manners in stock sometimes.

• Watching a few videos on the Bighorn TL3, that looks like a nice action.

• Looking @orkan or @tscustoms.

What's the difference between these high end actions other than minor features like extractors and such. I guess I should say what makes one better than the other, or is it mostly shooter preference?

Ignoring the looks, it seems to me that there really isn't any major difference.

RLTW
    (This space for rent)

• There are always differences between them, but they come in more subtle ways. Different extractors, different magazine cuts, different bolt lift, different knobs, different rails, different recoil lug setups, different ejection ports with different ejection patterns.

To answer a question about what is different, you'd have to pick two, and ask again. ;)

• Whatever happened to the Kelbly Atlas action that was Melonited/ Nitrided?
    Wouldn't they take the AI magazines?
    Other than that were there any other advantages?
    I don't think the top rail was integrally machined in but was bolted on.

• I appreciate the offer but rather than make you list off all the differences of one vs the other maybe you can answer this for me instead; why did Defiance enjoy such a following in this years PRS?

Is there something about it that makes it more accurate or favorable for tactical competition than surgeon/kelbey/bighorn/badger/whatever?

I'm referencing this btw http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/11/05/custom-rifle-actions/

If you had to pick one today (excluding the DTA), which and why?

RLTW
    (This space for rent)

• @ragnarnar said:

I appreciate the offer but rather than make you list off all the differences of one vs the other maybe you can answer this for me instead; why did Defiance enjoy such a following in this years PRS?

People use lots of things in competition for lots of reasons. Sponsorship has a TON to do with it. Availability has a lot to do with it too. About a year ago, you couldn't get a surgeon 591 to save your life. So other companies were able to fill the void.

Is there something about it that makes it more accurate or favorable for tactical competition than surgeon/kelbey/bighorn/badger/whatever?

No. They are nice actions, but in terms of bolt lift, build quality, and general smoothness; they aren't in the top 5 unless you get very lucky with your action.

I'm referencing this btw http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/11/05/custom-rifle-actions/

That site does some good work, and some bad work. Things can look a certain way, and actually be a completely other way. Without context, one does not know. How many got their actions free or heavily discounted? How many were on a team, that decided to shoot X action? How many couldn't get the action they really wanted, and bought what was available? Without that kind of context, we'll never know why the folks on that list made the choices they did.

If you had to pick one today (excluding the DTA), which and why?

Depends on what kind of rifle I was building and what my goals were. Pretty much can't go wrong with a Surgeon. Why? Because bolt ergonomics are just as important to me as reliability, and I don't feel like compromising on either. Integral rail, integral recoil lug, one piece bolt, and smooth operation.

That is if I wanted one right now today. However, I'm not buying anymore actions right now. I have some TL3's, and some Lone Peak Fuzion's on order. I can play with Travis's Impact! when I want to, and I can see one of those in my future as well.

At the end of the day, you'll need to decide to either take Travis and I's opinion about actions at face value... or do what Travis and I do: Buy them all and decide for yourself.

• @orkan said:
    do what Travis and I do: Buy them all and decide for yourself.

Someday.....

I'll take your word on it in the meantime

RLTW
    (This space for rent)

• Out of curiosity is there any reason why I wouldn't want a bolt with a small firing pin hole?

Based on the internet its done to eliminate primer flow or accommodate 6.5X47 lapua based rounds.
    There doesn't seem to be an negatives to having one...

OTM has both at the same price point and tight holes are always better IMO.

RLTW
    (This space for rent)

• @ragnarnar said:

Out of curiosity is there any reason why I wouldn't want a bolt with a small firing pin hole?

Based on the internet its done to eliminate primer flow or accommodate 6.5X47 lapua based rounds.
    There doesn't seem to be an negatives to having one...

OTM has both at the same price point and tight holes are always better IMO.

Given the choice, I would order the small pin.
    The fitment between the the firing pin and firing pin hole in the bolt is generally tighter than the larger pins. Your internet findings are also correct. The small pin handles pressure better, especially with the small rifle primers and higher pressures.

• What he said. :)