Stainless tumbling

• So...I tumble quite a bit of brass. I convert 223 to 300 blackout and sell it. When I size it I use the lanolin/alcohol lube and I have had trouble in the past getting all of the lube off in the tumble. I just add more dish soap and it usually works.

Today I got a crazy idea. I tumbled about 1,200-1,500 cases today and instead of dish soap and lemishine I just threw a dishwasher tablet in with the brass, steel, and water and tumbled. Brass came out perfect. I'm going to try this the next few times...but if this works it will simplify things. Thing is the dishwasher tablet has an excellent degreaser, shine agent, and rinse agent all in one packet.

• I will be following your results!

• @dddoo7 What dishwasher tablet did you use?

"A woman trying to function like a man is as ridiculous as a man trying to be like a woman. A unisex society is a senseless society—a society dangerously out of order. " - DP

• @gash said:

@dddoo7 What dishwasher tablet did you use?

DBA9D57D-35CA-4D32-960F-EF493B95E754_zpsiwhhm54m.jpg

I bet you have a home recipe for these don't you?

• @dddoo7 sure do. I'll post it up later today :)

The fancier 4-in tablets with all the extras are a little bit harder to duplicate. But this basic tablet is a breeze to duplicate.

"A woman trying to function like a man is as ridiculous as a man trying to be like a woman. A unisex society is a senseless society—a society dangerously out of order. " - DP

• @gash said:

@dddoo7 sure do. I'll post it up later today :)

The fancier 4-in tablets with all the extras are a little bit harder to duplicate. But this basic tablet is a breeze to duplicate.

That would be handy!!!

Thing is...these tablets seemed to be a good size for my huge tumbler. I am running about 25lb of media, 18-20lb brass, and 3 gal of water. That means that one of these packets would be way too much for the average sized tumbler. With your recipe we could adjust the amount depending on the size of the load.

I am really hoping this works. I have only tried it on the one load, but i have several more coming up in the next few weeks...so time will tell.

• Oh man... what a great idea. I bet gash and I could get something figured out to make capsules for the normal sized rebel and thumlers units.

• @orkan said:

Oh man... what a great idea. I bet gash and I could get something figured out to make capsules for the normal sized rebel and thumlers units.

I bet they will sell!

• You could use geletin capsules, if you could make it with dry ingredients.

• @rhyno said:

You could use geletin capsules, if you could make it with dry ingredients.

Already on it. :)

• well...I'm not happy with the results the second time. apparently there was enough dish soap left in the pins to make the dishwasher packet work....cause it didn't work very well at all the second time.

• Thanks for the update. I haven't messed with any of it yet. I was still looking for a containment mechanism. ;)

• Press it into pills like a small Alka Seltzer.

• I started with ss tumbling using the harbor freight unit. It worked for a few cases. I got a franklin unit and never looked back. Now I use the harbor freight for moly coating. I dumped the rubber drums for the wal mart apple sauce bottle that fits the rails perfectly.

Anyway, clean brass and nicely coated bullets, no downside!

You cannot by reason change the ill opinion of a man, which by reason was not obtained.