On The Subject Of Parallax

• Is there any truth to this statement? Fourth sentence.

The bottom line is that it doesn’t matter if the image is perfectly clear. It just has to be clear enough to identify the center of your bullseye. Zero parallax error comes first. If zero parallax and a clear-enough image don’t overlap, you have a faulty scope. Additionally, it absolutely doesn’t matter if your target is at 100 yards and you ended up parallax-free on your scope’s dial at the 70-yard or 135-yard mark. As long as there’s a way to dial out parallax at the distances you shoot at, you’re good.

• Nothing in that paragraph strikes me as untrue, other than the first sentence. It is not an unrealistic expectation to have a perfectly clear image AND be parallax clear at the same time. However, if I could only pick one... I'd want to be parallax free. This is only something you have to "choose" between on extremely crappy rifle scopes. I mean, even $300 vortex crossfire ffp's are in focus and parallax free at same time. (at least those I've used)

There is such a thing as scopes being built with very unforgiving optical prescriptions that will cause certain people with various levels of corrected vision to experience total lack of ability to adjust parallax correctly at all distances. Even what would be considered "high end" brands can and will do this for certain people.

However, this is not something that plagues all makers. I've never experienced or even heard of anyone with a Tangent Theta who reported something like that.

The comment regarding the scopes engraved yardage and the actual parallax free condition is also true. Depending on the prescription and its forgiveness in a particular optic, it's possible to have the diopter so out of position that it will completely throw off the manufacturers designated parallax free distance is it's engraved on the focus knob. This is why many high end manufacturers refuse to put distance indications on their parallax turrets. You are either parallax free, or you aren't. The scopes writing is there merely as a median reference for the general populations eyeballs.

• The article I copied that paragraph from is is one of many I have read on the subject of parallax. I just thought it was a bit bold to state that if they don't overlap basically send it back. I imagine lots of scopes are returned from user error or an eyesight/glasses problem. I go for clarity with the dial first and then look for the shifting reticule. That might be ass backwards but if you can't see it you can't hit it, right?

• @bigfoot Depends on what you're doing. If you are shooting an extremely large target and no amount of parallax error will create a miss... then do whatever you wish I guess. If you're shooting with parallax error... that's not a recipe for success.

However, I'll simply say if you can not get parallax free and also be in focus... the scope is either defective or of flawed design. Period.