Comfort Zone

• a1qJcTq.jpg

We naturally have comfort zones in our lives. We are usually comfortable at home and around those we know. We are usually comfortable around our close friends. We might be comfortable changing the oil in our car, but not changing out the transmission. We might be comfortable changing out a plug, but not wiring a house. As adults we usually have well established comfort zones and we usually don’t step very far outside those comfort zones.

However growth in any capacity requires that we step outside our comfort zone. If we want to grow in our ability to change transmissions out in our car, then we must be willing to step outside our comfort zone and learn about it in order to grow in our ability to do so. The same is true in our spiritual lives. If we want to truly grow spiritually it is going to require that we step outside our comfort zone. The process of growth is not comfortable, however we always appreciate what we gain from that growth.

Have you ever considered that faith itself requires that we step outside our comfort zone? Hebrews 11 describes many people known for their great faith, yet each of them stepped outside their comfort zone to accomplish God’s will. Abraham left his home. Noah built an ark. Moses left Pharaoh’s house and Egypt. Each person and group listed in Hebrews 11 were willing to boldly go outside the comfort zone of their normal life in order to accomplish God’s will. Notice also, each person listed in Hebrews 11 were also greatly rewarded by God. The reward that God provides to the faithful far outweighed the sacrifice necessary to step outside their comfort zone.

There are many things that God has asked us to do. Each of these things requires faith and trust in God. Each of these things requires that we step outside our comfort zone at times in order to accomplish His will. If I am going to teach the lost, I must be willing to confront the lost. If I am going to help another Christian grow I must be willing to bear his burdens and encourage him. If I am going to be a leader in His kingdom I must be willing to step up as an example for others. If I am going to become stronger as a Christian it requires that I put God first and do away with my old way of life.

Each of these are things that God wants from us and that we are to do. Yet each of these require that we not remain satisfied where we are, but rather are willing to change. Each of these require that we leave our comfort zone and step out on faith. Each of these things that God asks of us requires that we trust that God will reward us with spiritual growth.

Hebrews 11:6 says, “but without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.”

Pleasing God requires faith. Pleasing God requires a faith that will step out of comfort zones and accomplish His will trusting that God will provide.