Rain and Snow

• a1qJcTq.jpg

There are great prophecies in the Old Testament that we sometimes overlook because they are in the Old Testament. Isaiah 55 is one such prophecy which alludes to the church and specifically hope for the lost in the church.

The chapter begins (Isaiah 55:1-5) with a great invitation to the people. He calls everyone who is thirsty, poor, and hungry to come and freely eat. Even if they don’t have any money they will still be able to buy wine, milk, and honey. The greatest and fanciest foods of the time are available to all! Then he tells them, “listen to me and your soul shall live”. The offer is for spiritual food and is available to any and all who will come and listen. He is making available a great treasure of spiritual wisdom to any who will listen whether they be rich, poor, of the nation of Israel, or an unknown nation!
    [55:1] “Ho! Everyone who thirsts, Come to the waters;And you who have no money,Come, buy and eat.Yes, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.[2] Why do you spend money for what is not bread,And your wages for what does not satisfy?Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good,And let your soul delight itself in abundance.[3] Incline your ear, and come to Me.Hear, and your soul shall live;And I will make an everlasting covenant with you—The sure mercies of David.[4] Indeed I have given him as a witness to the people,A leader and commander for the people.[5] Surely you shall call a nation you do not know,And nations who do not know you shall run to you,Because of the LORD your God,And the Holy One of Israel;For He has glorified you.”

Then he begins giving the piece of wisdom to those who will listen (Isaiah 55:6-9). Seek the Lord. Call upon the Lord. Forsake evil ways and unrighteous thoughts. Return to the Lord and He will abundantly pardon. Isn’t this all that God has ever asked of us? Seek Him, trust Him, and turn away from evil? When we turn to God and trust Him, He will pardon our sins. Sometimes it is difficult to understand God’s ways. Why does He do what He does? What will He do in the end? How will He judge? Yet our thoughts are different than God’s thoughts. Our ways are far able to fully comprehend what God is thinking or what He has in store for us.

Isaiah 55:6, "Seek the LORD while He may be found,Call upon Him while He is near.[7] Let the wicked forsake his way,And the unrighteous man his thoughts;Let him return to the LORD,And He will have mercy on him;And to our God,For He will abundantly pardon.[8] “For My thoughts are not your thoughts,Nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD.[9] “For as the heavens are higher than the earth,So are My ways higher than your ways,And My thoughts than your thoughts."

Next he goes into the value of the words of God (Isaiah 55:10-13). Rain and snow is his example. Just as the rain and snow accomplishes the purpose of watering the plants, God’s word accomplishes the purpose it set out to accomplish. It will not return void or useless, but rather truth will always accomplish the purpose. It will always prosper. It will cause rejoicing. It will turn the thorns into fir tree. It turn the brier into myrtle tree. The word of God will change the hearts of men!

Isaiah 55:10 “For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven,And do not return there,But water the earth,And make it bring forth and bud,That it may give seed to the sower and bread to the eater,[11] So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;It shall not return to Me void,But it shall accomplish what I please,And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.[12] “For you shall go out with joy,And be led out with peace;The mountains and the hills shall break forth into singing before you,And all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.[13] Instead of the thorn shall come up the cypress tree,And instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree;And it shall be to the LORD for a name,For an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.”

Even today the truth of God is freely available to any and all who will listen. The great spiritual riches of salvation and the eternal blessings of the kingdom are free both to the rich and the poor, the hungry and the cast down, the accepted people and the unknown nations. Truth is for all! Any and all who will seek the Lord, Trust the Lord, and forsake their evil ways will have the great blessings that He offers. Truth will allow any and all to have these blessings. It will accomplish the purpose. It will save souls.

So, how is the free and saving word of God proclaimed today? It is proclaimed in the lives of Christians. It proclaimed when Christians teach their neighbors, brothers, friends, and others the truth of the word of God. We as Christians are the tool that God has chosen to proclaim His saving message to the world. It is God’s will that we take truth to the world. The power to save is in the truth and it is freely available to any and all receive it. It is guaranteed to accomplish His purpose. If we take truth to the world, it will save souls.

Let us commit to fulfilling the role that God has given us. Let us commit to taking the truth of salvation to the poor and rich, the broken and fallen, the troubled and weak, the confident and proud, the accepted and the rejected. Let us let God and His truth work through us to change the world by using His truth to save souls!