Instruction for evil people

• a1qJcTq.jpg

Israel had just gone against Gods will and appointed themselves a king. This turned out to be one of the greatest mistakes in the history of Israel. Before they had a king they had God to lead them. They didn’t need an earthly king, yet in their desire to be like other nations they wanted a king. Samuel was God’s judge for Israel and he was a very righteous man. He was very disappointed in Israel for their choice in appointing a king. Part of his response to the people is found in 1 Samuel.

1 Samuel 12:23-25, “Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and the right way. [24] Only fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things he has done for you. [25] But if you still do wickedly, you shall be swept away, both you and your king.”

Even though Samuel feels betrayed and utterly gutted at the actions of the people, he still continues to pray for them and to instruct them in the right way. Yet his instruction quickly warns them that if they don’t change and turn back to following God, both them and their king will be swept away.