Overcoming Temptations

• a1qJcTq.jpg

Overcoming Temptation and sin is a constant battle in the Christian’s life. The battle that we fight as Christians is a spiritual battle that is fought against principalities, powers, rulers of the darkness of this world, and spiritual wickedness in high places (Ephesians 6:12). It is no wonder that we continually fight this battle and yet never seem to completely be free from temptations in our lives. Overcoming temptations is possible, yet it is not something that we can do by our own power.

We need God, Christ, and Grace to overcome temptations. God has promised that we will not be tempted above that we are able (1 Corinthians 10:13) and that He will always provide a way of escape from the temptations that we face. Without these assurances facing temptations would be hopeless. Yet God is protecting us as we face temptations and limiting the powers that Satan has to tempt us. God has also given us prayer to be used in overcoming temptations. When we face great temptations, how many times do we turn to God in prayer and ask for deliverance. Jesus as He taught us how to pray, He prayed that we would not be led into temptation. James 5:14-16 teaches that prayers can deliver us from spiritual sickness.

Yet even when though God always provides us a way of escape, we don’t always take it. We need His grace and forgiveness in order to be right with Him. We need the blood that He shed to forgive our sins (1 John 1:7-2:2). Without that forgiveness we would all be hopelessly lost.

Have you also considered that God has given us each other as a way of dealing with and escaping temptations? The spiritually minded are to help restore those who have fallen to temptations (Galatians 6:1-2). We are to bear each others burdens and help one another realizing that we also might find ourselves fallen to temptation and in need of others help. James tells us to confess our faults to one another and pray for one another. Again, the importance of helping one another work through and resist temptations is emphasized here.

It is often easier to recognize the short comings of others. We can see where others need to change or need to grow much quicker than we can see our own shortcomings. Godly people who love us will help us see our shortcomings and help us grow out of them. When David sinned with Bathsheba, Nathan was sent to confront David. Surely David knew he was wrong. Surely David could see his own sin in this situation, yet he didn’t. Nathan told David what he had done and David then realized just how ungodly he had been. Sometimes it takes someone like Nathan to confront us and get us to realize our sin and flee from it. Sometimes it takes someone who is willing to be truthful, loving, and straightforward with us in order for us to recognize where we need to change.

Are you one who is willing to be the “Nathan”? Are you willing to confront those you love who you know are struggling with sin? Are you willing to help them, encourage them, and pull them up out of the sin that they are involved in?

Are you willing to listen to others when they confront you? Are you willing to hear the truth that they bring and then from that truth recognize your shortcomings and seek to grow? We can overcome sin when we work together and help each other!

• Thank you again for sharing the Word.

I shall strive to understand why aspects of David are within me. Each day, I grow stronger in Christ and resist temptation. In turn, when my role as Nathan arises, I shall reach out to my friends and family with great reserve.

Temptation for all is inevitable. Prayer for all is my hope.