If you aren't doing this... you're crazy.

• If you ever saw how much crap gets sprayed around when cleaning, you'd never clean without doing this again:

MvO5V0E.jpg

• Clever, but do you not remove the jag or brush before pulling the rod back through?

I've always been told to do that lest the crown gets damaged.

I put a towel down so I get the major drips.

• Drips are easy, but the spray goes everywhere when a brush exits the muzzle.

No, I do not remove jags or brushes before pulling them back through. When using a jag, the patch falls off at the muzzle. When using a brush, I know that a bronze/brass brush won't damage stainless steel. What little carbon may be on it, certainly won't either. Point in fact, it will help me clean if anything. Been doing this for about 10 years... and well, you've seen some of my groups.

I can't prove it's right. Yet no one can seem to prove I'm wrong either. ;)

• Fair enough

Most literature says "only push the brush the direction of bullet travel" but you can't argue with results.

• It is my understanding that when using a brush you always push or pull completely through. You can scrub both ways but don't reverse direction until clear of the barrel.

• @mamalukino said:

It is my understanding that when using a brush you always push or pull completely through. You can scrub both ways but don't reverse direction until clear of the barrel.

The people that say that have obviously never had a patch of barrel that fouled really bad, nor have tried to get rid of a carbon ring before.

You guys can either take my word for it, or you can test this yourself. One day I took my favorite 308 barrel, and I set about wrecking it with a set of bronze brushes. I didn't use a bore guide. I reversed directions all throughout the bore. Scrubbed as if I had gone mental. Did this for about an hour until I could no longer physically do it. If that bore could be wrecked by a brush, I was going to wreck it. I have no idea how many strokes and how many times I reversed directions mid-bore... but it was hundreds... thousands. I did it for an hour straight, and when I wore out one brush I'd switch to a brand new one and go at it again.

Rifle shot 1/4moa before. Rifle shot 1/4moa after. Nothing I did to it hurt it. I shot several thousand more rounds through that barrel before it was replaced. I think I might do this again sometime, and document it for all to see. Most guys are so afraid of their rifles, it makes me laugh a bit. After my little experiment, I felt as if a giant weight were lifted from my shoulders.

Cleaning a rifle, as with so many other things, seems completely shrouded in mystery to most folks. Solution: Go grab one of your rifles, and go to town on it with a bronze brush. I bet you can't ruin it.

truth.jpg

• @orkan The fear of screwing up the barrel is strong; therefore I have hesitated to go against the "consensus". I will take your word for it and go to town on my new barrel. It will make things easier not babying my honeys.

• Worst that can happen is you need a new barrel. If you've shot so much, that you've cleaned enough to ruin your barrel, then it's likely time for a new barrel anyway.

• Yea, that video shows Ryan going to town with the brush, scrubbing the barrel. I guess I've been a big pussy when it came to scrubbing my barrels. I am going to scrub my .223 down this week and try some different powders the next chance I get to shoot.:thumbsup: Got to overcome my scrubbaphobia :worried:

• Found this old gem: http://www.6mmbr.com/borebrushing.html

Notice the lack of agreement among them all. All shooters in that lineup scored well and are very well thought of... yet none say the same thing. Whats that tell you?

The first two items on that list pretty much say it all:

1. Each barrel is different. Some may clean up fast with just patches; others may demand scrubbing with bronze brushes. You may have to experiment with longer/shorter cleaning intervals and various solvents to find the right system for your barrel.
    1. High velocity rounds tend to shed more copper than lower velocity cartridges. A no-brushing routine that works well with a 2700 fps .308 may not suffice for a 22BR running 3800 fps.

• Well after reading that you can find opinions to support brush, no brush, clean, no clean etc.
    It is funny that some guys use carb cleaner and such as I use mechanic in a bottle for carbon and brakeclean.
    I usually only clean when the groups start opening up and I am not the problem.

• Save your arm next time. Hook a cleaning rod up to a sawzall😄

• I have always found it hard to believe that you can damage a steel barrel with a bronze rod and brass brush.

• Well shit, I'll give it a try.
    Its not like I care that much about a factory barrel anyhow and if it saves me some trouble cleaning why not.

Maybe it'll tighten up those damn groups from last week.

• I've far too often seen barrels that are not shooting well because of lack of cleanliness.
    I guess if brushing decreases the life or accuracy of the barrel, I haven't noticed and will continue to brush at every cleaning to keep my rifles shooting bugholes!

• maybe im the minority, but the only time a cleaning rod goes down any of my barrels is if i have an obstruction. i do 99% of my cleaning with a boresnake. havent had any issues yet,and it keeps the mess down quite a bit.

• That's the key take-away thorn... If you find something that works, then it works! Simple as that. ;)

There are tons of different folks using tons of different methods, and all reporting their method works.

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.