Trains

• a1qJcTq.jpg

When I lived in Cleveland, Tn, I lived near a train track. It wasn’t right out my back door, but it was close enough that when the train went by the house you could hear it clearly and feel the rumble in the house. The first few nights I was there it woke me up and almost startled me until I realized what it was. Of course, after being woken up, it took me a while to settle back down again. I was not real happy about this situation, but I had bought the house and didn’t have a lot of choice but to live with it. After the first couple of weeks I got more used to the train. I would wake up when it came by, but would not stay awake very long and would just doze right back off to sleep. After a year of living there, I got to the point that I didn’t even wake up when the train came by. It was still just as loud as ever, but I had gotten so used to the noise that I didn’t even notice it anymore.

We often react to sin in the same way as I reacted to the train. The first few times we are exposed to sin we are shocked, astonished, and appalled by it to the point that we are greatly upset. Yet it doesn’t take very long until seeing the sin becomes almost expected and we are no longer appalled by it, but rather we come to expect it. Eventually it gets to the point that the sin would be out of place if it were not there. Satan is good at desensitizing us to the sin that is around us. He wants us to get used to the sin so that it no longer shocks us.

Once Satan gets us to the point that the sin around us no longer shocks us, He then will work at getting us involved in that sin. He will start very small and the first time we dabble in that sin it will shock us. We will inevitably feel the guilt and shame that should come when we sin. However with time the guilt will fade and with it the shame will also fade. We will have given into the world around us and will have been molded and shaped by Satan to the point that living in sin no longer bothers us. Sin won’t even make us cringe, but it will be normal in our lives.

We must keep Satan from pulling us down into sin in this way. The first step in being pulled into sin is to be desensitized by the sin around us. In this step, Satan has began to slowly harden our heart to sin around us so that we will eventually let the sin into our own lives. Yet we must not allow our hearts to be hardened by sin. Hebrews 4:7 says, “...To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.” We will not allow Satan to pull us into sin as long as our hearts are not hardened to sin. We must continually realized the damage that any sin causes and the fact that sin puts souls in jeopardy. We must realize that any sin leads to eternal death and therefore is something to hate and to fight against. It is with true and pure hearts that we will recognize sin for what it really is and refuse to become involved in that sin. It is only with a true and pure heart shaped by the word of God that we will follow God and keep our conscience clear and unseared by the sin around us. 1 Timothy 4:1-2 says, "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;". Sin is a danger that constantly tries to creep into our lives so slowly that we don’t even notice that it is there. We must keep our hearts right, our conscience pure, our lives obedient so that we don’t fall prey to the efforts of Satan to destroy our souls through desensitizing our hearts.