Is the Lord’s Supper for me?

• a1qJcTq.jpg

Jesus established the Lord’s supper in Matthew 26 before His crucifixion. The New Testament church made a practice of partaking of the Lord’s supper on the first day of the week (Acts 20:7). Later on when Paul wrote to the church at Corinth, he emphasized the purpose of the Lord’s supper once again.

1 Corinthians 11:23-29 says, “For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, [24] and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body, which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” [25] In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” [26] For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.
    [27] Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord. [28] Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. [29] For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself.”

Just as Jesus commanded, the bread represents His body that was broken on the cross. The juice represents His blood that was shed on the cross. We are to partake of these Remembering examining ourselves and remembering His death. It is a memorial to be partaken of until He returns again. Under the Old Testament, they celebrated the Passover with a Passover lamb. The significance was that God had passed over every house that had obeyed Him in sacrificing the lamb, but the firstborn of every house died where they did not obey in sacrifice. Today, Jesus Christ is our Passover lamb and the Lord’s supper is our memorial to remember that God has passed over our sins because of the sacrifice of Christ.