Give me some advice for my first PRS match

• A couple weeks ago, I unknowingly ran into one of the PRS shooting ambassadors for Alberta at the local range. We spoke for a while about PRS matches and how to get my foot in the door to some matches. After checking out some web sites and contacting some event organizers, I will be attending a PRS match at the end of April, and this will be my first PRS match. I'm pretty excited to get out and see what the PRS craze is all about. I am not expecting to do very well against experienced veterans, but I'm going in with the mindset of just having fun and learning from the experienced shooters. The layout of these matches seem pretty secretive and I understand they don't want anyone having an advantage over another, but I cant even find a good suggested equipment list for newbies. The fellow I spoke to at the range said it appeared I had everything I need, which was a rifle, bipod, rear bag and 10rnd magazine. Is there anything else I should have even for a newbie?
    Other questions I have are, what shooting positions should I be practicing for the next month and a bit? Also I'm planning on using hold overs for 400yd and less, and dialing for anything over 400yds. Good plan or bad? The ranges are 200-1200yds. What is the best dope card format, or is there a better way to have your drops available?
    Thanks for any help.

• A rifle, bipod, rear bag, and mags will get you started to see if you want to pursue it further. If you wanted to go ahead and buy something I’d suggest a game changer bag. It’s a very versatile bag that can be used in almost any situation and doubles as a decent rear bag as well. As for positions to practice basically anything that’s takes you out of your comfort zone. A barricade like you see in every PRS match and video is a good training tool and most other positional stages are based off the same principle so it’s a good one size fits most training tool. I like the dope card holder that Bullet Central sells because the attach to the pic rail and don’t cost an arm and a leg. You can also make your own with some twist ties and a small piece of white plastic and right on it with a grease pen. As for hold overs I use hold over primarily throughout the match with a few exceptions, movers I dial for and stages that have a mover and stationary target at a different range I’ll dial the mover and hold over or under for the stationary target. Find what works for you and what your most comfortable doing and run with it but be proficient at both dialing and hold overs in case you find a situation where you need it.

• @bull81 I’ve heard a couple guys talk up those game changer bags now, so maybe I’ll pick one up. A buddy was saying they would be great for shooting gophers off of fence posts as well. The only thing I didn’t like was the weight, I think I read 7lbs. That’s a little much to be bringing in the field in my mind, but I wonder if guys have used poly beads instead of sand or whatever they come filled with?

• @donnie they make theee different sizes, I’m not sure of the weight but mine is the medium sized one. They are a bit heavy but I think the weight is what makes them work the way they do.

• Im new to PRS as well, its a great community, there is always someone willing to let you try their equipment out before you buy it. My squad mates let me use their tripods, pump pillows (big lightweight bags) and anything I didnt have. Unless the targets are all similar distance I personally dial all my corrections (then your just holding for wind), though depending on the match director they might make you do nothing but holdovers for a stage. Also practice shooting support side, doing everything opposite is a challenge. Ask for help and advice for wind calls, body/prop positions and watch everyone. Also if you have any time before you shoot try to memorize the target locations. You can use a dope card on your rifle, a wrist coach, I put masking tape in my rear scope cover and write with a sharpie.
    Equipment list
    Rifle capable of min MOA accuracy
    10rnd mags
    Bipod
    Rear bag
    The game changer is nice, i use mine quite often. But they make lots of options for that kind of bag, Tactical Udder, fortune cookie, game changer ect. I would ask to try someones and see what you like.
    Knee pads are nice depending on terrain. Nothing to crazy just a thin soft barrier, cheep works.
    I have a bunch of videos on YouTube from my last 2 matches if your interested, Patxd45 is the channel.
    And the biggest piece of advice from a new PRS shooter , have fun, you will miss targets, dont get to upset just learn what you did wrong and try not to repeat it. Oh and always check your dope before a stage, i have seen lots of guys shoot with a previous stages dope. And if you dont know what the wind is doing, get stable and send one, and watch what it does carefully.

• You guys helped put my mind at ease. Thanks for the pointers. My only problem now is, do I use my 308 or the 6.5cm? I am very comfortable on my 308. The scope is a S&B 5-20 Ultra short. Wind holds are memorized, and I can usually hit MOA targets any distance first shot shooting prone. Of course it kicks a little more but I can spot my own shots shooting prone. Don’t know about shooting off a post or something. The 6.5 I don’t know drop or wind, but I have used half the distance to target as a MOA wind hold and usually connect eg 600yds=3moa wind hold for 10mph wind. I can work up a holdover chart pretty quick. The scope on the 6.5 is a Burris XTR 5-25, mechanics are good but glass sucks! Should have went with another TT or S&B. Thoughts on which rifle to use?

• @donnie
    I would recommend using which ever rifle your most comfortable with. The 6.5 would have a advantage but if your not comfortable with it and familiar with it losses it’s advantage.

• What divisions are there? There are 3 main ones here, production, Tactical and open.
    Tactical is limited to .308 and .223 (I shoot tactical division)

• @gunguy308 I believe this one is open. Like bull81 said, I’ll probably stick with the 308 since I’m comfortable on it. Could always switch in the next one.

• @donnie one big advantage you will have with a .308 is if there is a spinner target, the 6cm, 6 dashed 6xc take a few more shots to spin one.

• @gunguy308 a guy was telling me it’s really hard to spot splash at extended distances with 6br. Makes a valid point.

• Shoot the .308, get a game changer bag, and have fun.

• @donnie thats why they have been using light up hit indicators for the tagets past 800 yards.

• @donnie
    I actually shoot a BR and have had no problems out to 1200 yards spotting splash, impacts on the other hand are harder. Most ranges we compete at have hit indicators on targets past 1000 yards. On high mirage days you can’t see splash but usually can’t see it with larger calibers either at that point.

• Speaking for myself, my problem wasn't getting impacts so much as getting all the shots off in regulation. We had 90-120 second stages where we had to change positions in some cases 2-4 times and engage up to 4 targets with 8-10 rounds. In most instances the targets were known distances but a few were unknown. Most targets were inside 700 yds. We had to shoot prone left and prone right, seated left and seated right, standing supported left and supported right. I did notice the guys that shot before me that tried to engage multiple targets and cranked their dope did not fire all their rounds. It seemed that the guys that were proficient with a tree reticle were more successful. I used my tree reticle but my transition to different positions was admittedly bad mostly because I have some weight I need to shed. If you are in good shape, practicing getting locked into the positions I mentioned as quickly as possible might increase your score.

Best of luck.

• Looking back on this post, best advice I got was grab a game changer, get to a match and have fun. I've made it to 4 matches so far this year, with 2 being 2 day matches. I started out around the bottom 25% of the pack and have been steadily working my way up. Once again my rifle, gear and fundamentals have changed drastically. I'm actually planning on getting my passport in order so I can attend some Matches in Montana next year. Last match at the RFMA Canadian Sharpshooter Classic, I was able to pull off 1st place finish in tactical division and 19th overall. I was no wear near top 10 though lol, and this Jon Pynch guy came in and kicked all our asses by a fair margin. PRS shooting has been a major eye opener for me and is hands down my favorite sport to date.