22lr as a stand in for center fire pistol training?

• So as I've mentioned, I used to be fairly awesome at both CQM and pistol marksmanship. I thank my wealthy Uncle Sam for this, he used to give me around 2500 rounds of 5.56 and a couple hundred 9mm for free each week.

Well unfortunately its a perishable skill.

Thanks to orkan's gunhive shooting challenge I've been back at the range trying to get it back.

But because I'm no longer military I don't have access to the runaway ammo budget I used to have and I'm rapidly running through my stockpile of .40 cal.

So whats the consensus here on using a 22 pistol for training? I have a ruger MkII I've been neglecting and a crapload of federal .22 automatch. I realize the recoil control will be different, but near as I can figure all the mechanics will be damn near the same.

I do something similar to a dot drill but at 3 yards. I'm thinking something to the effect of shooting 200-300 rounds of the 22lr a week through my dot drill and then another 25-50 of .40 as a way to remain familiar with the recoil.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

• @ragnarnar

I can only speak to my experience with less than .22LR, BBs.
    I do it as if it was dry fire practice with a visual impact.
    The mechanics pretty much remain the same as to acquiring sight picture and trigger pull. You get instant confirmation of your proficiency.
    Due to the restrictions here and lack of ranges I have not fired a real handgun in a couple of years.
    I still try to keep some of the acquired skills functioning anyway I can.

• 22lr conversions for your normal sized handguns would have to carry some value I'd think. All the mechanics would be the same. The recoil aspect would be different. Should still have some value.

• Like @orkan said, the closer you could get to the same handgun the better. Any good trigger time can't hurt though!

• Eventually I'll get a 22lr M&P for this purpose.

• Unfortunately the mkii won't match the ergonomics of any of my other handguns, but I'm going to try it for a couple weeks and see if it helps.
    I could still qualify if I had too but nowhere near as good as I used to be.
    Untill I'm able to get a progressive for my handguns the 22 will have to do. I'm able to get bulk brass for free so my only expense would be the powder, bullets and primers.
    Thanks folks

• @ragnarnar

I think this is a really good idea. Over the years I have attended a number of shooting classes. Many of the instructors suggested this. The fundamentals remain the same. The benefit was not only cost but you could focus on the fundamentals without having to deal with recoil management. More specifically the report of the gun in your face which is probably one of the biggest issues for the average joe. For awhile it was difficult to get a conversion kit. Most guys I heard talk about it said they were on a waiting list. I say have at it.

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.