Big Chief

• AKA Savage 458 SOCOM. I had mentioned this rifle I threw together a couple of years ago in another post and a sample target picture but it's gone I guess. I had taken this Vortex off and put another conventional Vortex on to do some load testing. I believe I have a 325 grain FTX load that will suffice and recently I bought a pretty good amount of Barnes projectiles at a reduced price at my favorite estate sale. Today I put the Strike Eagle back on and now it's time to go to the recipe book for a Barnes load. Sitting at a bench launching 300 grain bullets through this thing gets old kinda quick, about like shooting a nine pound 12 gauge 3.5" magnum over and over. Shooting 22's has spoiled me I guess. That brake on it keeps the muzzle flip out but doesn't do nothing for straight back, and it's a little loud. Anyway, I have a lot of choices for powder and brass galore so maybe in a couple of weeks I'll have something to show besides a bruise.
    PuKAzZn.jpg
    zpmAj0y.jpg

• Dang, the recipes for these Barnes bullets are way different than the jacketed ones I have been loading. I have Teppo's quickloads and Barnes data from their site so I guess I better play by the rules and go by them and get the chronograph out of mothballs. Nothing I have shot in this thing has even flattened a primer yet. From what I have read it can de a fine line from safe to sorry with some powders especially Lil'Gun which i don't think I have tried a load yet.

• Solids are definitely a different animal than jacketed.

• @orkan
    Yes sir, words from the wise. I would like to get this thing in tune for some pig work after deer season. I've never shot one with it.

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.