.308 150 grain, Varget - Hodgdon vs. Sierra Load Data

• Hello,

I picked up a pound of Varget and a box of 150 grain Sierra MK’s.

I have multiple load data books, but am wondering about the wide discrepancies between them. I’ve noticed that IMR and Hodgdon publish hotter charges than any other source I’ve seen.

Sierra recommends 41.4 (2600) - 44.8 (2800)
    (26” 1:10 barrel)

Hodgdon recommends 44 (2788) - 47C (2937)
    (24” 1:12 barrel)

This is in a Remington 700 with a 26” 1:12 varmint barrel.

What do you all recommend? I’m unsure if I should go by the bullet or powered manufacturer’s load data.

Should I just start at the minimum and work up toward the max and watch for pressure signs? Or maybe target a specific velocity for target practice? (Unfortunately I don’t have a chronometer)

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Book data is just a starting point. Organizations and lawyers have heavy influence over the data. So much in some cases that the data itself is nearly useless.

Proper load workups are important in all instances.

My pet load with 150gr noslers in 308 was 46.5gr of varget.

Starting at published minimum and running your own pressure ladder is the best methodology.

• @orkan said in .308 150 grain, Varget - Hodgdon vs. Sierra Load Data:

Book data is just a starting point. Organizations and lawyers have heavy influence over the data. So much in some cases that the data itself is nearly useless.

Proper load workups are important in all instances.

My pet load with 150gr noslers in 308 was 46.5gr of varget.

Starting at published minimum and running your own pressure ladder is the best methodology.

Thanks Orkan, that helps quite a bit. I’ll work up from the Sierra minimum and check for over pressure signs, especially when playing with seating depth. Its good to know that 46.5gr worked for you, that gives me a good target range for load development.

• Today I headed to the 100 yard indoor range to try the new bullets. The combination of the 150 grain SMK’s and my recent pillar and glass bedding really increased accuracy. It also seems to have helped my consistency between cold and hot barel shots.

Before I was shooting > 1 moa, today with 42 grains of Varget I shot a 0.53” group. This was the tightest for the 41.5 - 46.5 grain loads.