Swinging for the fences

• https://www.gunbroker.com/item/786092326

This guy is really going for the gold. lol

If it really is an MSR, someone ruined it by attaching that bag rider to the stock.

• Honestly, the bag rider mounting can be fixed but that dogknot on the barrel cannot. He’s either bragging or fishing for a sucker. Maybe both. I paid $600 for the one my wife shoots and it shoots lights out.

• @rr2241tx said in Swinging for the fences:

I paid $600 for the one my wife shoots

Oh my goodness. That's like having a gold brick in the safe. lol

Dogknot on the barrel?

• @orkan Tuna?....er

• @orkan I think most of you refer to that particular abomination as a tuner.

Gold brick for sure but not in the safe, she shoots it in regular competitions at the New Braunfels Schuetzen Verein in the offhand matches where she does very well against some really top shooters. Her rest gun is an Anschutz 54 Match made in the first year of production that makes a good match for the MSR. They'll shoot just about anything but really do well with R-50 and Tenex.

@orkan I think most of you refer to that particular abomination as a tuner.

Yeah, on that rifle, it for sure is an abomination. For some reason, a common one. My 54.18MSR also had one on it. Luckily the guy put some brass shim stock between it and the barrel, so there was no damage to the finish. I suspect most won't be as lucky.

Tuners surely don't have much of a place on a free standing silhouette rifle, and the folks that tortured the forearms on MSR's to accept bag riders or bipods deserve 10 lashes in public square. No reason to do that, when as you so easily pointed out, there are a ton of 54 match action rifles which already have rails that are better served in benchrest than trying to convert a silhouette rifle.

• Seller is getting desperate, throwing in $300 of Tenex already. Chumming works when fishing, I think when he gets up to 3 cases of Tenex I might have to rescue that poor rifle.

• @rr2241tx lol ... yeah, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone buys it for a whole lot more than either of us would snag it for. These critters are getting mighty rare.

• https://www.gunbroker.com/item/809874980

This rifle is still on gunbroker, all these months later. However, the price is starting to get reasonable. Hard to say what kind of damage, if any, is under that bag rider block at the front of the handguard. These 54.18's didn't ship with bipod studs or anything... so this critter is not original.

Anyway, I saw this rifle is still going. It's not the $5500 he was originally asking 7 months ago, but a more reasonable $3500. The going price on an un-modified 54.18MSR is about $3k these days... so if you're after one, you might not get a better chance for a while. I won't vouch for the seller obviously... so you'll have to do your own vetting. The most important factor, is not pictured... and that is the magazine in the bottom. If it's just a 54.18 MS and it's being listed as an MSR... then that dude is all about fraud. The MS single shot models can be had for $1600-1800'ish.

• The probable reason this rifle is still not sold is that by fitting the tuner he has ruined the choke in the barrel, creating a small counterbore that will accumulate fouling beneath the tuner mounting threads. My guess is he knows it doesn't shoot acceptably in its current condition. He has proven the old adage that a custom rifle is $3,000 of parts added to a $1,000 rifle that is worth $500 when completed.

The probable reason this rifle is still not sold is that by fitting the tuner he has ruined the choke in the barrel, creating a small counterbore that will accumulate fouling beneath the tuner mounting threads.

Not necessarily true. My MSR had a tuner fitted, but the tuner was bored out to accommodate the diameter of the factory spec barrel. Also, there were factory MSR's which didn't have the larger muzzle.

@rr2241tx said in Swinging for the fences:
    My guess is he knows it doesn't shoot acceptably in its current condition. He has proven the old adage that a custom rifle is $3,000 of parts added to a $1,000 rifle that is worth $500 when completed.

That is most likely true. Still not a risk I'd be willing to take on this rifle at that price.

• @orkan said in Swinging for the fences:

Still not a risk I'd be willing to take on this rifle at that price.

I agree, too many unknown variables to be worth the gamble when there is a declining market for these rifles and the used market is flooded with less expensive examples that have not been subjected to Harlow Parkenfarker's excellent gunsmithing.

declining market for these rifles

From what do you base that statement? They seem to be in higher demand than ever, due to ridiculously low supply.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/811177070

There's a custom shop version with a lilja barrel. A case of center x and some accessories... puts the bare rifle cost at right around $3000. Seems goofy to try to make these rifles into benchrest rigs... but many have done it.

• @orkan said in Swinging for the fences:

From what do you base that statement? They seem to be in higher demand than ever, due to ridiculously low supply.

Supply of these rifles is about as good as ever, just the US Dollar is weaker than dishwater stew. The new retail price reflects the value of our money, not the supply of firearms. I base my assessment of the market for high end 22LR target rifles on the proven resale value of a considerable number of them that change hands locally. Prices in your area may vary but in the "German Belt" of Texas supply of top tier target rifles exceeds demand.

Supply of these rifles is about as good as ever,

Say what now?

To find a 54.18 MSR is quite a feat. There's only ever a few of them for sale each year. ... and by a few, I'd say less than 10, across an entire year. I routinely cruise the auction sites as well as gunbroker and various forums in search of them... and they are extremely difficult to find.

If you have that many 54.18 MSR's at your disposal in your area, I'd appreciate if you'd share the wealth! I'd love to have contact information of the sellers.