New Vortex Diamondback FFP scopes

• So I've been doing some side-by-side comparisons of the Vortex Diamondback FFP scopes, as well as a GenII PST. I'm not sure what vortex has up their sleeve here, but at this point, I'm having a hard time seeing why anyone would buy a genII PST with these diamondbacks on the market. I have a 4-16 and a 6-24 diamondback ffp, as well as a 3-15 genII PST.

The diamondbacks have non-translating turrets, no zero stop, and the standard removable cap single-screw rezeroing design. The PST's have a translating turret, and better clicks on the turrets, though not by a huge margin.

All of these scopes have the EBR-2C reticle... and to look through them, there is literally no difference that I can notice between the $350 4-16 diamondback and the $950 genII PST. I mounted the 4-16 diamondback on a 10/22 this morning and @irish and I killed 272 prairie dogs with it in a few hours. The FFP reticle is outstanding for holds. We didn't dial anything all day, just used holds. Great optics for a scope of this price point. It held zero all day while getting knocked around in the UTV. Prairie dogs from 20yds to 265yds were engaged using the 10 mil christmas tree.

Yes, I feel they are better than the athlons. These scopes are going to devastate athlon in the budget FFP category. If you're looking for a cheap scope to throw on a rimfire... these diamondbacks seem to be a win. I mounted the 6-24 on one of my sako quads and will be trying that one out for a while.

• Interesting, thanks.

• I ordered two of the PST 2-10 for the pair of RP rimfires, after they came in the Diamondback tactical came out. Half the price of the PST. I wasn't a happy camper, but the new Diamondback tacticals aren't available in MRAD yet (made me a little happier) but still, they are half the price and i can't tell the difference in the glass quality. Nice thing with VOrtex is the vet discount and the new diamondback can be had for under 3 benjamins i believe. I think for someone just starting in PRS it would also be a great optic to start with.IMO

• @racegunnr said in New Vortex Diamondback FFP scopes:

but the new Diamondback tacticals aren't available in MRAD yet

Uhh... you sure about that?

M925qlUh.jpg

• I might have to check one for these out! Thanks for the post.

• @orkan
    Well now...........guess I'll have to have a little chat with my dealer........

• @orkan said in New Vortex Diamondback FFP scopes:

Yes, I feel they are better than the athlons. These scopes are going to devastate athlon in the budget FFP category. If you're looking for a cheap scope to throw on a rimfire... these diamondbacks seem to be a win.

==
    So the reason I got an Athlon was to have something that would parallax down to 25yds. Do these Diamondbacks do that ???

• @kansas said in New Vortex Diamondback FFP scopes:

So the reason I got an Athlon was to have something that would parallax down to 25yds. Do these Diamondbacks do that ???

Yes.

• I should clarify something.

The lack of zero stop takes this scope or revolution indicator takes this scope out of the running for anything serious. If you aren't planning on touching the turrets and simply using holds, I like it for that.

The GenII PST has zero stop and illumination, which puts it in contention for a full-duty centerfire. Not having a turn indicator or zero stop is pretty much a deal breaker for a regular use centerfire, in my opinion. So while the really cheap scopes have their place, the cheap scopes also have their place.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out for vortex.

• Here's the 4-16 model on the 10/22. Cows at about 900yds+ at 10x magnification.

gtkd26kh.jpg
    L15QU0lh.jpg
    l0VWULvh.jpg

• Hoo Lee Bat Stuff - that looks pretty dang good to my olde eyes ... at least towards the center of the scope ...

• Now if they would just offer a version of this with capped turrets....

• @orkan

If they had capped turrets they couldn’t call it “tactical”

• @kansas said in New Vortex Diamondback FFP scopes:

Hoo Lee Bat Stuff - that looks pretty dang good to my olde eyes ... at least towards the center of the scope ...

If you think that looks good, you really need to buy that Tangent Theta you were talking about. Or maybe not, because when you do it is going to get very expensive to replace every other scope you own as well. I can tell you are like me in that once you find out what "top shelf" is like, you can't be very satisfied with anything else.

Your comment does put some validity to my statement in the other thread about people not understanding what good glass truly looks like. Trust me, this is not it.

• @flyinphill said in New Vortex Diamondback FFP scopes:

Your comment does put some validity to my statement in the other thread about people not understanding what good glass truly looks like. Trust me, this is not it.

Very, very true.

• Only issue I had with the lower end vortex at one point was the reticle was not glass etched and had a strange color to it with uneven edges. If I remember right it was a viper HS. This was just one sample so may not be a real or a common issue.

• @bull81 Pretty sure this reticle is etched/lasered standard, same as higher end reticles in their higher end scopes. I don't see how something like this could be created with a wire. Reticle is clean in all three of the above scopes. I can't tell a difference between them.

Makes sense that they would use the same reticle lens as they use in other models, from a cost standpoint. More units of the same, makes things cheaper. Maybe they would use a QC process to segregate them for the higher end units, getting units that test higher.

I dunno, that's all just speculation.

• @orkan or locking, I have a bushnell engage (cheap and sfp unfortunately) that has nice tooless zero and locking turrets. If it was FFP it would be really useful. But i think the glass on it is as good as my gen 1 PST. I used it for hunting but the reticle is too thin so it’s on a 22 right now.

• @orkan> Makes sense that they would use the same reticle lens as they use in other models, from a cost standpoint. More units of the same, makes things cheaper. Maybe they would use a QC process to segregate them for the higher end units, getting units that test higher.

I dunno, that's all just speculation.

Never thought about it like that but you make a good point. The reticle that was in the one I mentioned was a fairly simple reticle. It had a strange yellowish coloration around the edges, reminded me of the cheap tasco Walmart specials and how their reticles were. Glad to here they stepping up quality on the lower end models now

• Kind of irks me they are selling Viper's for a couple of hundred less than what I paid for one several years back. Guess they got a surplus of them and or can make them cheaper/more efficiently. SWFA had a sale on Vortex for Labor Day but it's off as of yesterday and me being a resident of Texas would pay sales tax so that would have negated some of the discount. I expect to see more backorder's for these new Diamondback units. Already one variant is out of stock at Midway. These things are tempting and saving up for prime equipment is hard to do. My dad always would say that don't sound like much if you say it real fast. Threefiddy.

• How would you compare this to a ss 3-15? Anyone has any experience with both?

• @alfmoonspace Had some students in a recent class with SS scopes. I feel that these are significantly better.