Good multi purpose bullet for 308 win?

• Looking for recommendations on good multi purpose bullets to shoot out of a 308win with 26" barrel, 1-10 twist. By multi purpose, I mean hunting, target shooting, mid range hunting and long range target shooting. I currently load 168gr nosler BT & CC, but wouldn't be opposed to shooting heavier bullets. I've been eyeballing the 178 gr Hornady Eld-x bullets cause they seem to be plentiful around here.
    I upgraded my scope to a S&B PMII Ultrashort 5-20, and have 86 moa of adjustment so 3 moa difference in drop at 1000 yds isn't going to sway me one way or the other.
    Let me know what bullet you are using, jump, powder etc. if you don't mind giving that info.

• @donnie

I would look into the Berger hunting bullets, depending on your set up either the 168 classic hunter or the 168 VLD

• 308 is not a cartridge I recommend for hunting, but if I had to, I'd not use a bullet heavier than 168, and the berger vld's are quite good.

Something between the 150-168gr category.

• @orkan Are you thinking along the lines of velocity and bullet expansion not being adequate if going with a heavier bullet? Also, are the Berger vld's insanely jump sensitive, or was that a different bullet?
    This rifle has killed moose 30yds-100yds, elk at 200yds with complete pass through of shoulder, big horn sheep at 414yds and complete pass through of shoulder, antelope at 368yds, and plenty deer, but I am using the 168gr Nosler BT's.

• @donnie
    The classic hunter is not going to be jump sensitive which is why I said it or the VLD depending on your set up. Also VLDs can shoot very well with a lot of jump at times.

• @bull81 Good to know. I see they have vld hunting and vld target bullets. I take it you are referring to the vld hunting bullets? I see a lot of guys saying to use the vld target bullet, so just want to clarify which one. Thanks for the help.

• @donnie no I’m referring to the hunting version. I have seen where a lot of people use the regular target version as well but have never tried them on game. The hunting bullets work very well on game though

• @bull81 Ill see if I can pick some up. I haven't seen to many Berger's on the shelves lately. looks like Hornady is taking over the shelves, at least at the local cabelas.

• @donnie said in Good multi purpose bullet for 308 win?:

@orkan Are you thinking along the lines of velocity and bullet expansion not being adequate if going with a heavier bullet? Also, are the Berger vld's insanely jump sensitive, or was that a different bullet?
    This rifle has killed moose 30yds-100yds, elk at 200yds with complete pass through of shoulder, big horn sheep at 414yds and complete pass through of shoulder, antelope at 368yds, and plenty deer, but I am using the 168gr Nosler BT's.

Difference in mindset, basically. I like light switch lightning strike kills. Hydrodynamic shock. Velocity is what provides that most effectively and the 308 isn't providing much in the velocity department. In that capacity, the 6.5CM or 260 provides that kind of performance much better than a 308. However, if you're talking put a hole through the lungs and they will die within 200 steps, sure... 308 is just as good as anything. You can get lucky and have them tip over on the spot, but shooting something the size of a moose or elk with a 308 wouldn't even occur to me to attempt. Not when there are so many significantly better options.

• Like that 7mm Norma Magnum you are working on or the 22 Creedmoor.?

3500 fps with an 80 is wild.

What fps is the 7mm doing out of the Norma Magnum case?

• @hypo I wouldn't really call the 22 Creedmoor an elk or moose cartridge... but it does hit with about the same foot pounds of force as a 308 at 600yds.

The 7 Norma Mag Improved on the other hand would be perfect. Even at the slow slow speed of 3000fps, the 195's hit with 2500ft/lbs at 600yds.

• I got out and shot some of the 168 Berger VLD hunting bullets. I haven't even done load development yet, but was punching 1 hole 10 shot groups, well under 1/2moa at 100yds. I even loaded these rounds on the progressive but verified the charges on the 505 scale. Thanks for putting me onto these bullets!

• I had great luck with the Nosler 180gr Partition on my Elk last year. However, I consider this a single purpose bullet. Shot was about 235 yards out of a 26” 1:12 barrel. These pattern under 1 moa from this rifle. The bullet dropped it in its spot - but it was a heart shot, so YMMV.

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.