Prairie Dog Termination

• I haven't shot a jackrabbit for probably 8 years. There used to be tons of them around, but there are hardly any now. When I was a kid you could pull into a quarter of alfalfa and shoot 200 of them in a single night.... but that's long gone thanks to the ag industry poisoning the earth with millions of tons of chemical every year.

Today was rough out in the dog town. Wind swirling and going from 3mph to 20mph every couple minutes. Horrendously difficult with the 16" .223AI. It's days like this which illuminate the total superiority of longer barrels. I was still able to get some kills however. There just wasn't any 400yd+ headshots happening.

h7rZQxnh.jpg

One was peeking at me through the grass at 75yds. All I could see was his little black eyeball through a hole in the grass. I put that 80 berger right into it. Threaded it through a hole in the grass that was opening and closing with the wind and not bigger than a dime.

hdJsDkBh.jpg
    IQGptsoh.jpg

This one tunneled through a bunch of rock! The entire mound was comprised of chunks of shale. Personally, I'd have picked a different location to dig. :)

lJHiGkXh.jpg

I killed a lot inside of 300yds today, but that wind sure had me bouncing around out past that. Shoulda brought my dasher instead. It's pretty easy to hit C-zone sized targets with this rifle in conditions like that... but when you're trying to nail something the size of a 12oz soda can, it's harder.

• We used to have Jacks down here on the coast but fire ants and rice farms took a toll on them and for a while they got scarce around the Pearsall area where my Dad grew up. I guess they come and go up there with the coyote population being a huge factor as well as agriculture and the general population growth that is associated with residential expansion and loss of habitat. The last few years though they are on the rebound, and the peanut farmers hate them. Along with the pigs. My grandfather would wreck his old International truck trying to run over a Jack Rabbit or a rattler and that ain't no lie. He grew peanuts on the ranch and I remember riding in the back of his truck with a 410 shooting Jacks as they ran in front of us on the turn rows. I shot one and rolled it one day and it got up running side to side in front of the truck with its ears laid back and went he popped its ears back up there were holes in them the shot made. Grandpa got a good laugh. I have his old Winchester model 62 in the safe along with a 94 bought with ration stamps during WWII. I wish they could talk. Sorry if I hijacked, i'm just reminiscing. About due for a trip down south.

• @bigfoot said in Prairie Dog Termination:

We used to have Jacks down here on the coast but fire ants and rice farms took a toll on them and for a while they got scarce around the Pearsall area where my Dad grew up. I guess they come and go up there with the coyote population being a huge factor as well as agriculture and the general population growth that is associated with residential expansion and loss of habitat. The last few years though they are on the rebound, and the peanut farmers hate them. Along with the pigs. My grandfather would wreck his old International truck trying to run over a Jack Rabbit or a rattler and that ain't no lie. He grew peanuts on the ranch and I remember riding in the back of his truck with a 410 shooting Jacks as they ran in front of us on the turn rows. I shot one and rolled it one day and it got up running side to side in front of the truck with its ears laid back and went he popped its ears back up there were holes in them the shot made. Grandpa got a good laugh. I have his old Winchester model 62 in the safe along with a 94 bought with ration stamps during WWII. I wish they could talk. Sorry if I hijacked, i'm just reminiscing. About due for a trip down south.

What is a jack?

• @martino1 jackrabbit, I believe.

• @martino1
    Lazy typing, short for Jackrabbit. I have some pictures of really ugly ones. They are tick magnets and seem to look sick to me. In my younger days I killed them with a Benjamin 177 air rifle. My great uncle would ride me around the pasture on the hood of his old station wagon he had at their ranch and I would pop them safari style. He taught me how to whistle them to a stop, they're not the brightest critter in the world but when they turn on the jets they can run. We wouldn't even feed them to the dogs pretty sure they had some nasty parasites.

• Killed about 7 of these in the last couple weeks. Danger worm is dangerous.

Prairie Rattlesnake, for those unfamiliar. Lethal, and everywhere. Less lethal after I blast their head apart with a subsonic hollow point.

uD0W1E0h.jpg

5VuXNZah.jpg

• @orkan
    That sucker has an impressive set of noise makers!

• @orkan said in Prairie Dog Termination:

Killed about 7 of these in the last couple weeks. Danger worm is dangerous.

Prairie Rattlesnake, for those unfamiliar. Lethal, and everywhere. Less lethal after I blast their head apart with a subsonic hollow point.

uD0W1E0h.jpg

5VuXNZah.jpg

Plump sucker...

• Got a chance to help with the Praire Dog Termination. My TS Customs .204 Ruger does quite the job:

75 yards
    Mnv1Fts.jpg

225 yards
    h6LAhx2.jpg

300 yards
    OPJezfy.jpg

And those damn snakes....ugh...they can right piss off! I wish I could have gone another 37 years without ever having seen one.

• I love what that .204 is doing. I am going to have to load up some of my lighter bullets in my 223ai for next trip. I sure will suffer at distance but inside of 300 yards it's going to be comical.

• Man @gash that one at 75 yards is huge! That’s a big ass prairie dog! Good shooting!

• She shot a LOT more that aren't pictured. Definitely helped the cause! hehe

She shot a LOT more that aren't pictured. Definitely helped the cause! hehe

Can't wait for a group outing on a big town to see how many we can rack up in a day!

• @gash said in Prairie Dog Termination:

Got a chance to help with the Praire Dog Termination. My TS Customs .204 Ruger does quite the job:

75 yards
    Mnv1Fts.jpg

225 yards
    h6LAhx2.jpg

300 yards
    OPJezfy.jpg

And those damn snakes....ugh...they can right piss off! I wish I could have gone another 37 years without ever having seen one.

great day.... that thing looks like someone stuck a firecracker in it and lit the fuse.

She shot a LOT more that aren't pictured. Definitely helped the cause! hehe

I couldn’t have done it without your help! Thank you :)

• Ran out of .223AI ammo so it was time to switch to 6BR. I loaded up the last of a batch of 95gr VLD's I had.

9xRF4SYh.jpg

The 95 VLD's were being launched at 2750fps, and were surprisingly effective. Pretty good in the wind and this load I'm running was very stable in the 98 degree weather.

GkaV0hIh.jpg
    OcrJnRmh.jpg

Here's one I shot with my 16" 22-250 at about 130yds with a 52SMK at 3700fps. He took it square in the chest, got knocked down, and ran down the hole. Bullet selection is very important if you don't want these critters running off. :)
    opqCju2h.jpg

• @orkan

We just had a big hullaballoo about an unlicensed slaughter operation just north of us. The complaint was the animals were not killed quickly humanely .....CLEARLY NOT AN ISSUE HERE.

• Believe it or not, some people have a major problem with pdogs running down the holes after getting shot.

I find them to be overly sensitive.

Believe it or not, some people have a major problem with pdogs running down the holes after getting shot.

I find them to be overly sensitive.

I agree 100%, usually those are the same people that complain about anything animal related. I don’t like to admit it but my sister is one of those people. She thinks riding bronc’s and bulls is animal cruelty as well. We are over run with hogs on our place and she throws a fit about me killing them by the dozens. We couldn’t be any more different.

• @bull81 There are the animal activist types, sure.

... but I'm talking about hunters. Guys that claim to be on "our side" are some of the worst.

• @orkan this is the truth. My blood boils when I see “I’m a hunter but x isn’t hunting”

• It was a rough one out there today. Hotter than hot. The pdogs were still moving around though. Killed a solid 45 of them in 3hrs. I've already picked this town over pretty good. After that I had to retreat from the heat.
    t7SsAVdh.jpg
    3r18Aqoh.jpg

You need a really good 10 ply tire to drive around in my country.
    sYcykqTh.jpg
    ifM8vJyh.jpg

Playing peek-a-boo with me at 100yds is unwise. It's typically unwise at 200yds as well. On a day like today when there was barely a 1mph wind gusting to 3mph... I was evacuating cranial cavities out to 400yds.
    AOKBnZEh.jpg

• Good work. Color me jealous

• @rhyno said in Prairie Dog Termination:

@orkan this is the truth. My blood boils when I see “I’m a hunter but x isn’t hunting”

About the only kind of hunting I don't care for is high fence. Sounds like Pdog elemination is a simple matter of necessity for the AG community.

• Sometimes they really get sent for a ride. This one did the helicopter of doom as it was launched about 6ft in the air and landed about 6ft from its hole.

Tjwm1kMh.jpg

2wYiPFph.jpg

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.