Magpul’s new bipod

• Two big pluses to me on this over a Harris...Atlas feet and panning. The lighter weight is nice as well. Pretty obvious this still won’t play in the arena with an Atlas, but it’s price and features sure are going to challenge Harris and some knock offs.

Having a KRG Bravo, the M Lok mounting seems pretty cool too. For ARs I’m sure having a direct mount will also be a selling point.

• @norcal_in_az said in Magpul’s new bipod:

panning

Explain why panning is a good idea.

• @orkan moving targets

@orkan moving targets

How many times have you engaged a moving target? Describe those instances to me in detail please.

Then explain in detail why the panning bipod is providing a significant advantage.

• Well it’s pretty obvious I’m out of my league here today. Think I’ll step away from the internet for a while.

• The nice thing is the panning can be locked out according to the video.

Well it’s pretty obvious I’m out of my league here today. Think I’ll step away from the internet for a while.

It has nothing to do with being out of your league. It has to do with refusing to speak without being able to demonstrate significant experience and competence, so as not to mislead anyone with your words.

That governing principle has not changed on Gunhive since day one.

Those that are attending the class next weekend will learn all about the consequences of panning bipods. :)

• @orkan
    I’m not trying to get in the middle of anything here, but was curious which bipod you use? I thought you were a big advocate of the atlas and I thought they all panned except for one of newer models they just came out with. I’m not a fan of the panning feature either because it can make the rifle recoil out of line if not squared to the target.

• I hate that "feature" of the atlas. Atlas PSR is still the best thing going, however.

• @orkan you had a chance to try one of the new non panning ones out yet?

• @bull81 Yes. Not a fan. The tilt mechanism can not be set so you can reliably tilt from behind the rifle. You have to break contact and move up to adjust the bipod lock lever while you are not behind the rifle. Which is completely stupid.

• Orkan

Are you going to give one of these pods a try? I have a PSR with a QR that I thought was a good idea to switch between rifles. The PSR pretty much stays on the DT so the 700P is out there if I forget to switch before I head out to Range. Well thinking I'll just get a dedicated POD for each rifle and call it a day is the reason I ask.

• I was very optimistic when atlas was releasing the CAL, however it is not nearly as nice as the PSR. The can’t knob is either all or none...there is no in between “tensioned” adjustment like on the PSR. Therefore to adjust it by a few degrees I have to reach to the front of the rifle and twist the knob at which point the bipod becomes completely “floppy”. One really has to crank on the knob to stop the floppy. I have gone back to my PSR.

• Wonder why atlas did that, I can’t see that saving them any money in production cost.

• @martino1

You need one for each rifle that you shoot on a regular basis. Not worth the trouble of switching them over every time. I also have QD on all of them. The QD is worth the money for the few rare occasions which it is used.

• @dddoo7 said in Magpul’s new bipod:

@martino1

You need one for each rifle that you shoot on a regular basis. Not worth the trouble of switching them over every time. I also have QD on all of them. The QD is worth the money for the few rare occasions which it is used.

@dddoo7 said in Magpul’s new bipod:

@martino1

Sage Advice DDD that's my sentiment as well. Just curious who's going to be the Guinea pig on Magpul Pod.

• @martino1 I'm sure I'll give one a go eventually.

• @dddoo7 said in Magpul’s new bipod:

I was very optimistic when atlas was releasing the CAL, however it is not nearly as nice as the PSR. The can’t knob is either all or none...there is no in between “tensioned” adjustment like on the PSR. Therefore to adjust it by a few degrees I have to reach to the front of the rifle and twist the knob at which point the bipod becomes completely “floppy”. One really has to crank on the knob to stop the floppy. I have gone back to my PSR.

Atlas has addressing the issue and sent me a spring to add tension. In addition they are sending a washer set to all customers of the first batch.
    The subsequent lots should be good to go.
    Even with it's lockup or no lockup as it arrived, I really like the CAL.
    I love the PSR but CAL edges it out due to it's wider stance and nopan feature
    I got the 2 screw model and it also sits lower into the apex of the bipod "triangle".
    8vTkwdl.jpg

• @mamalukino Shooting off a bench or concrete as you always do, the ability to adjust tilt from behind the rifle isn't nearly as important.

If wide stance is something you like, you should check into the LRA F-class or other true F-class bipods.

• @orkan All I'm saying is that Atlas is addressing the issue and I really like the bipod.
    I have and have had wide F class type bipods as well as Harris and some others in the past. I also modified some making them wider and changing leg angles.
    I prefer Atlas bipods, and up untill the CAL, the PSR was my favorite.

• I read about the spring and washer tension revision(s) in the works, but I never saw either in the mail...yet, anyhow. Islanders must get special preferential treatment!

• I received springs for mine...but no washers yet. Springs made a little difference, but not much. If washers allow tension to be set and the can’t adjusted without reaching for the knob I will give them another shot. I would have rather waited another 3 months and had it right then to have a bad tast in my mouth that I now have to overcome.

• I have not received the washers either; however, I had some left over .033" non ferrous washers, #NF9320 from the Argos Zero stop fix and used 1 behind the tension cone and under the brass washer. This seemed to helpa bit.I think a slightly thicker washer would work better or 2 of the .033s.

• @mamalukino said in Magpul’s new bipod:

I have not received the washers either; however, I had some left over .033" non ferrous washers, #NF9320 from the Argos Zero stop fix and used 1 behind the tension cone and under the brass washer. This seemed to helpa bit.I think a slightly thicker washer would work better or 2 of the .033s.

It's almost like they don't even beta test their products. If they do, I have no idea which "operator as fuck" guy they have doing the testing. A simple spring with tension adjustment would largely solve the issue. Both the cal and the 5-H are a disaster from a tilt operation perspective.

• I’ve never owned one but the only 5H I have seen and handled had fits with tilt/cant, it would bind up in the tracks and wouldn’t tilt smooth then it would flop.

• Unfortunately for me, it’s the one thing I’m not that big on for most rifles; it’s a bipod. You can get a stud that attaches to the bottom of the oem hand guard. You can attach a short rail to the bottom of the hand guard.

Check out the GPS 'Grip Pod" doubles as a forward grip and a bi-pod, plus they are very light. Several makers from cheap to spendy. Hanging a Harris on a carbine is just wrong IMHO. Harris on a 21-24 inch precision rifle is fine. Aero Precision I use a USGI AR bi-pod some times. It clamps around the FSB, it's not for precision work, but great for range fun.

• If a bipod doesn't work for you, maybe something else will:

alt text

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.