NET NEUTRALITY



  • One of the cornerstones of our Democracy is the ability for our citizens to express their opinions and ideas in forums like this one. In December 2017, the FCC, staffed with appointees, voted to remove NET NEUTRALITY rules put in place by former president Obama. This rule prevented internet service providers from controlling what we see on the Internet.

    Our news outlets filter news stories that do not support their agendas. Net Neutrality IS THE ONLY THING STANDING IN THE WAY OF INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDERS DOING THE SAME THING.

    I don't often agree with Democrats, but Republicans are on the wrong side of this issue.

    PLEASE CONTACT YOUR REPUBLICAN CONGRESSMEN AND SENATORS AND LET THEM KNOW YOU DONT WANT ISP's CONTROLLING WHAT YOU SEE ON THE INTERNET. This really is a freedom of speech and freedom of information issue. Your access to forums like this one may be affected if the repeal of Net Neutrality is allowed to take effect.



  • Democrat, republican, libertarian. I don't give a shit what you call yourself... if you don't support Net Neutrality, I will call you a cunt. Because that's what you will be if you support the demolition of the open internet.



  • PLEEEEEESE BANG ON YOUR REPUBLICAN CONGRESSMAN'S AND SENATORS EMAIL AND PHONE LINES ON THIS MATTER TODAY, TOMORROW AND AS OFTEN AS YOU CAN. I'm doing that just as soon as I'm done with this post.



  • It's already started. Google has already begun filtering searches and regulating what we can do inside their browser. If they have their way the big internet providers will turn the Information Superhighway into a toll road.



  • Not just a toll... the real information WON'T be there.

    It is a very real possibility that Gunhive.com would cease to exist in that new environment. While it may be there, you simply will not be able to access it... at any price.

    That would be true for EVERY website that refuses to support the ultra-liberal leftist views, given that most media companies/ISP's are owned by libtards.

    The good news is that there is enough right-wing owned ISP's and media companies that the left thinks the same thing. So there is unequivocal bipartisan support for this among the citizenry. The question is whether the cock sucking politicians are going to do what WE want, or what THEY want.



  • @orkan In the overwhelming majority of cases our elected representatives vote the way they are best paid to vote. End of Story. Idealism and Integrity are two things most quickly discarded as counterproductive by newly elected officials. They want to be re-elected and doing that requires Cubic Dollars. Despite what we were told about all those millions of $5 donations to Obama's re-election fund, they were not coming from housewives and college students. Really large blocks of campaign contributions come from really profitable corporations who pay for favorable legislation to hinder competition and transfer tax money to their ledgers. How does a politician making a $100,000 annual salary manage to leave office after less than a decade and have a net worth of hundreds of millions of dollars? Sure isn't by being frugal while living in Suburban Washington, DC.



  • X2 on what Orkan is saying. Take note of how many times you hear of the shooting in parkland and the media's vilifying guns. Now note how many times your hear the stories of firearms used to protect citizens as portrayed in the Armed Citizen sections of the NRA sponsored magazines. Every month almost a dozen or so stories are posted showing how firearms were actually used to protect law abiding citizens, yet these stories get but a footnote in the media if they are covered at all. Not even close to balanced reporting is it.

    Why does this happen... because a pro-gun message is not the agenda of our liberal news media.

    I hear the comments regarding Google and there are efforts to reign in what Google is doing. Lets get Net Neutrality back then go after Google.



  • The problem is that "internet" isn't considered a utility. Not truly.

    What happens if a company shuts off your water? What about shuts off your gas? Right now, internet access is not considered vital. For some it is not. So, there is an argument to be made for ISP's that lay copper or invest in technology. After all, it is theirs. That equipment and that tech is privately owned.

    So imagine yourself as the owner of a company that provides internet, and you had the capability to restrict ALL liberal garbage being trafficked across your infrastructure. Would you? Is it not your right to determine how YOUR property is used?

    This is an extremely complex issue and people need to engage their brains and be VERY careful about the message they are promoting. The best possible solution would come from the private sector, in the form of a company providing unrestricted access internet to the ENTIRE united states or possibly the world. There are talks of this actually happening. Then the gov nor the libs will have any say... no one would.



  • Be great so long as some one like George Soros didn’t own the private company controlling and distributing the internet.



  • @orkan said:

    The problem is that "internet" isn't considered a utility. Not truly.

    What happens if a company shuts off your water? What about shuts off your gas? Right now, internet access is not considered vital. For some it is not. So, there is an argument to be made for ISP's that lay copper or invest in technology. After all, it is theirs. That equipment and that tech is privately owned.

    So imagine yourself as the owner of a company that provides internet, and you had the capability to restrict ALL liberal garbage being trafficked across your infrastructure. Would you? Is it not your right to determine how YOUR property is used?

    This is an extremely complex issue and people need to engage their brains and be VERY careful about the message they are promoting. The best possible solution would come from the private sector, in the form of a company providing unrestricted access internet to the ENTIRE united states or possibly the world. There are talks of this actually happening. Then the gov nor the libs will have any say... no one would.

    Maybe the "internet," isn't a utility in the technical sense of the word, the internet has become a integral form of communication between people that I believe is quickly overtaking telephone in its usage. As a CPA, I am sending 2-3 times as many emails as I am making phone calls in a day on average. I find that I get quicker responses from clients if I send an email than if I leave a voicemail on their cell phone.

    During the aftermath of hurricane IRMA in South Florida we had almost a month of no power. Once power was restored, we found out that we still were heavily reliant upon the internet for access to many resources that we needed to operate. So many programs we rely on in our profession rely on internet access or they simply don't function properly without that access.

    I fear that if Net Neutrality is not restored, I fear our internet searches can become as useless as those performed on Bing.

    I don't know that one company providing internet access to the world is a good thing. Companies that dominate the marketplace don't always treat customers well. Here in south Fla we have two choices for ISP's AT&T and Comcast. Both have terrible customer ratings which speaks volumes on their customer service. Just check the BBB complaints against these companies.



  • Elon Musk.

    THAT dude understands American freedom.



  • I really want the Internet to be open and free. However I am also a very strong advocate that the government needs to keep their nose out of the private sector and business. I am almost always against more government regulations. This issue has me very torn.



  • @dddoo7 said:

    I really want the Internet to be open and free. However I am also a very strong advocate that the government needs to keep their nose out of the private sector and business. I am almost always against more government regulations. This issue has me very torn.

    Same for me. I dislike government involvement in almost everything. But this one issue I see where the government involvement may be a plus.



  • I was as well.

    However, all internet in our area goes through Century Link, or Mobile carriers.

    There are no choices, they have monopolized it (and our idiotic state laws helped them) so if they shut down access to something, there’s nothing we can do (doubly so because of our state laws, you can’t even start a new company)

    Without Net Neutrality anyone in my area is screwed.



  • @norcal_in_az said:

    @dddoo7 said:

    I really want the Internet to be open and free. However I am also a very strong advocate that the government needs to keep their nose out of the private sector and business. I am almost always against more government regulations. This issue has me very torn.

    Same for me. I dislike government involvement in almost everything. But this one issue I see where the government involvement may be a plus.

    In a perfect world, there is fair and honest competition, government officials and APPOINTEES operate in the best interests of the public. Then there's what happens in the real world.

    When companies grow to such a point where they dominate their industry and literally buy out any potential competitors before they become a serious threat that becomes a problem The company's respond by saying they are better in providing services that the other companies which is why they grew to dominate the industry.

    While this may be true, if there is only one supplier for a particular good or service, that provider can charge anything they want. Many may think this is OK but think about services as vital as water and sewer. If a private company owned the service and was not regulated somehow, you could find yourself paying ridiculous sums for something as simple but vital as water.

    Ma Bell reached this level of market dominance years ago and was forced to be broken up. The breakup wasn't without controversy, but we now have more choices for our phone service providers.

    Government stepping in should be a last resort. They seldom have the best and the brightest advising them, usually the best and the brightest advocate for private companies. While they may foul up from time to time, having no system throws the public to the wolves and IMO is a worse alternative.



  • Every job that government does, the private sector would do better.

    Privately owned companies, who's job it was to monitor other companies... is the answer. The government monitoring companies as you suggest, doesn't work, and has been proven to not work for a couple hundred years.



  • @orkan said:

    Every job that government does, the private sector would do better.

    Privately owned companies, who's job it was to monitor other companies... is the answer. The government monitoring companies as you suggest, doesn't work, and has been proven to not work for a couple hundred years.

    I see you were unmoved by the Ma Bell example.



  • If you think those in GOVERNMENT are moral enough to play watchdog... why don't you think there are those in the PRIVATE SECTOR that are moral enough to play watchdog?

    Go looking to the government for your answers... and they'll give them to you. Sure as you're alive, they'll give them to you... whether you fucking like it or not, and they'll see that you TAKE those answers. Or else.



  • @orkan said:

    Every job that government does, the private sector would do better.

    Privately owned companies, who's job it was to monitor other companies... is the answer. The government monitoring companies as you suggest, doesn't work, and has been proven to not work for a couple hundred years.

    This is something I could get behind. Private companies have to fight to win the contract for being the watchdog, fight to keep that business and can fire employees at will. Something like this would be great for the VA. Let the private sector battle out for the contract to run the VA and then hold them responsible for keeping the standards set.



  • I have started noticing some Youtube videos won't play on chrome. Is that google censoring them? I can get the sound, but the video is just black. It is not the adblocker because I turned it off. They play fine in microsoft edge.



  • Yep! And some don't even play the sound. Google doesn't think you should be exposed to ideas nor words they find offensive. Now run along, nothing to see here.


 

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.