South Dakota Self-Defense Legislation passed

• A step in the right direction:

South Dakota Senate Bill 87 passed yesterday. It allows law-abiding individuals to carry a firearm for self-defense in any building, structure, park, campus, or other area if those locations choose not to provide adequate security.

The following revisions were made before it was passed:
    No building, structure, park, campus, or other area may be posted as a firearm-free zone unless any person entering the area is required to pass through an electronic device to detect the presence of a firearm on the body of that person or unless personnel trained by the entity or a delegate of the entity posting the area are located in the area. The provisions of this section do not apply to:
    (1) Any county courthouse
    (2) The state capitol; or
    (3) Any law enforcement office or building.

http://www.sdlegislature.gov/Legislative_Session/Bills/Bill.aspx?Bill=87&Session=2018

• Thats great news! We had a state senate rep trying to get a bill similar passed here last year.

Federal buildings are still off limits to you though, correct?

• Very good.

Schools?

• @dddoo7 said:

Very good.

Schools?

yes schools.

• @norcal_in_az I'm not sure.

• Apparently this bill still has a ways to go, but it's picking up ground....onto the House then to Gov. Daugaard. Would be nice if the changes get signed into law.

I apologize for the misleading information originally. The news outlet I was reading apparently didn't have their facts straight (not surprising, but I should have checked into it more before posting).

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.