Bear9350's RRT

• I figured I should start one of these up for myself to track my progress and hopefully gain some insight for the rest of you. I won't be able to shoot every day or even every week but I do try to get out about twice a month. Easier for me to shoot in the winter and early spring before field work starts.

Almost 2 months ago now I received a barreled action from Travis in 6.5 CM. I threw a Timney 517 trigger on it and then slapped it in one of those KRG Bravo chassis. I started out cleaning, shooting a few rounds and cleaning etc... over a few weeks as I had time to do so. I had cleaned/ shot a few times and decided to actually do some shooting with it last Monday for the first time. I started out with a couple 5 shot groups. The second of the 2 was about a 3/8" group.

[IMG]c17Agpq.jpg

I adjusted my zero, and then shot the Monthly target from one of the other forum's. I was having a heck of a time getting comfortable. We had gotten a couple inches of snow earlier in the day, there was a bit of wind, and it was actively snowing. Never-the-less I was pleased with most of the shots I took. There were definitely some I knew where not where they needed to be when I squeezed. But even then, now that I am shooting a good gun, it seems the bad shots aren't nearly as bad and much more predictable.

[IMG]jDltDSI.jpg

• Saturday I got together with my brother and did some shooting behind his house. We started at 200 and worked our way out to 500 yards. Again pretty pleased with the majority of shots that I took. Most of the shooting was done at the 500 yard target. I was shooting about a 2" group with primarily horizontal spread at the 500 yard target.

I did learn that I need to re-level my scope. It was tracking right, and I needed to keep making adjustments left as we were moving out. (There was virtually no wind Saturday and the little there was would have pushed the bullet left, not right.) I didn't want to take the time to do that Saturday though.

I did have a few issues with feeding Saturday. Not sure if the problem is in the Bravo chassis or the cheap Magpul mags I am using or a combination of both. I had no issues with the same mags feeding the R700 308 with PTG bottom metal. I need to study that a little closer to see what is going on.

We can shoot to nearly 600 yards from my brothers haymow. I want to build a responsive target to place on the edge of the field. The plan is to build something tall enough that we can set on a rock pile and get above the corn during late summer/ early fall. I have a design modeled up but wanted to do a little proof-of-concept before spending money on having steel cut. I did some quick fab work Friday night and cut a 6" gong and made a stand out of angle iron. I was able to ding that consistently at 500 yards and I believe it will work as intended so I started procuring parts for it this morning.

I figure I will clean the barrel one more time now for the final barrel break-in clean (74 rounds through the barrel as of today) and then just clean when the gun tells me too.

• You should switch to imgur for pictures. Can't see those ones you posted.

• Joined a fairly local gum clinic today. I've been looking for somewhere nearby with longer then a 200 yard range. This place has a lower range from 25 out to 200 yards, and a second from 300 out to 600. I need to go to the long range class before using the long range. Hopefully I can get that scheduled soon. They seem to be pretty active and have a league on the 600 yard range Monday nights spring through fall.

Did some shooting at 100 and 200 after the orientation today.

Best group at 100 was this .18" group. I just did the last break-in cleaning last night so I put about 10 rounds through to foul the barrel before this group.

[IMG]w8WjicX.jpg

Then backed up to 200 yards and shot this 5 shot group. I was starting to have issues by this point. It was cold, my eyes were bugging up and both glasses and scope lens were fogging up. I know I pulled the 2 low ones. Everything after this one was not so good.

[IMG]GASORAJ.jpg

Put 41 rounds through the gun today.

• Made it to the range today. Started with doing a tall target test to check the scope level. It wasn't perfect but wasn't horribly of. Here is the bottom. 3 shots here. The zero was a bit off.

[IMG]EBlmbw5.jpg

And here is the top 2 shots.

[IMG]iTTy4Am.jpg

This was with 10 mils of elevation adjustment. I figured it is about .2 mils right over 10 mils of elevation. I can live with that until I have time to make it better.

If anybody has any suggestions for how to better do this I would be open to suggestions. In the past I've just tried to make minor adjustments from this point to try and perfect the alignment. It's kind of time consuming and a little more guess and check then I would like.

Then I tried my hand at a dot drill. The top 2 rows were shot on the bench. The bottom 2 were shot prone.

[IMG]thYr4LB.jpg

• Did some shooting at steel Saturday. I had a spinner style target at 200 yards and a plate rack at 500 yards. Both the spinner and rack had 6" gongs.

Last summer/ fall when putting my plans together to build this rifle I asked Orkan on another forum what action he would use and why. A the time I didn't understand what was meant by the ergonomics of the Lone Peak Arms actions are better than others. After doing some shooting at the spinner, working the bolt and getting back on target/ staying on target seemed effortless. I think I atleast understand some of what was meant by improved ergonomics.

I've also been trying to work on my position/ form. It seems that I must be doing a little better in this area. I was able to watch nearly every one of my hits on the steel targets in the scope at 500 yards.

Total of 70 rounds put down range through the 6.5CM. Then some other assortments of .223 and pistol. Finished the day by pulling out a baggie full of old 30-30 ammo my uncle gave me and had some fun with that for a bit.

• @bear9350 said:

Last summer/ fall when putting my plans together to build this rifle I asked Orkan on another forum what action he would use and why. A the time I didn't understand what was meant by the ergonomics of the Lone Peak Arms actions are better than others. After doing some shooting at the spinner, working the bolt and getting back on target/ staying on target seemed effortless. I think I at least understand some of what was meant by improved ergonomics.

Lots more to it, but that is certainly one of the things I was referring to. The ability to get back into battery without violating NPA.

• The range I recently became a member of had a RSO open up the 600 yard range today. Because I haven't taken there long range course yet I am not able to shoot on the range without an RSO.

There was a cross breeze varying from 5-15 mph this afternoon with it varying from 0 out to 600 yards. I spent most of my time working on some clay pigeons on the 600 yard berm and doing my best to play the wind.

• Monday night rifle league last night.

Made a cold bore hit on a 12" plate at 600 yards. I know that is probably not that impressive for most of you here but I was pleased. I would have center punched it but I over estimated the wind call. The follow-up shot was centered in the plate.

Then move to the 4" plate and was able to make some hits on that until I tangled the gong up in the chain. The first shot to the 2" plate at 600 yards was also a hit but I tangled that up also.

I finished up at the 600 yards by shooting a 4" group.

I then worked back from 500 to 350 yards in 50 yard increments shooting steel to check and record my holds at each interval for last nights conditions.

• @bear9350 said in Bear9350's RRT:

Monday night rifle league last night.

Made a cold bore hit on a 12" plate at 600 yards. I know that is probably not that impressive for most of you here but I was pleased. I would have center punched it but I over estimated the wind call. The follow-up shot was centered in the plate.

Then move to the 4" plate and was able to make some hits on that until I tangled the gong up in the chain. The first shot to the 2" plate at 600 yards was also a hit but I tangled that up also.

I finished up at the 600 yards by shooting a 4" group.

I then worked back from 500 to 350 yards in 50 yard increments shooting steel to check and record my holds at each interval for last nights conditions.

Nice shooting on the small plates at 600 especially the 2".

FYI my range uses heavy duty tow strap material to bolt the steel targets to a frame. They do have to be replaced occasionally but they do not tangle like chains do on smaller targets.

• @martino1 said in Bear9350's RRT:

Nice shooting on the small plates at 600 especially the 2".

FYI my range uses heavy duty tow strap material to bolt the steel targets to a frame. They do have to be replaced occasionally but they do not tangle like chains do on smaller targets.

@martino1 I do a little metal fab as a hobby/ side business. There are a few improvements such as this I plan to propose/ offer to do to the guy running this range.

• Bear

The straps they use look like 5" or better that they use for pulling boats out of the water. If you know anyone at a port that ships pleasure boats to various destinations they could probably get you some that are used. They use them for other things as well. They do get snatched up pretty quickly because they do work well pulling 4X4s out of the mud.

• You can also go to any crane and rigging company and get them. They have to be cut up and thrown away after so many years or if they get any damage to them at all. Crane companies always have them laying around that can’t be used any longer for lifting

• Monday night rifle league again last night. Shooting prone tonight. About 73F when we were shooting with about a 10 mph from 4:30. My cold bore shot at 600 yards I over estimated the wind again. Winds had been much stronger at home. It took me a couple rounds to get dialed right in at 600 yards but was good to go after that.

After a bit of shooting I was having trouble nailing them like I had been earlier. I realized I was muscling the gun more than I should have been. I re-built my position and the guns NPA and back to center punching targets.

Finished up with a 4" group on paper at 600 yards. I seem to forget that the steel is really at about 580 yards, and the paper targets are at 600. When I switch over to the paper I seem to forget I need to take this into account and dial another .1 mil. As such my groups are always just a bit low.

• Cleaned the barrel last night. Went to the range tonight to foul it back out for this weekend.

The shot far to the left was the first. Forgot to dial the windage back to zero after shooting last time. Second shot was at 10 o'clock. Then a couple in the bull. The next few I rushed and those are the ones too the right. Reset, relaxed and then the last few were back on mark. A total of 10 shots here.

[IMG]0QLljd5.jpg

• I added 1-1/4" to my lop last night.

Took about 5 shots to check the zero on my rifle. Then shot 20 dots. Wasn't truely happy with any of these. I've got some ideas of what might went wrong though. First, half way through I realized I needed to adjust my eye relief after I adjusted the lop. I also think I need to pay closer attention to where I place the butt pad in my shoulder pocket.

[IMG]ww6tjkM.jpg

• I've made it out to the range several times since the class. Prior to the class I always had an issue where the reticle would move far to the left. My reticle would move 5+ mils off target regularly. During the class I was getting close to no movement most of the time. A few tenths of a mil sometimes.
    The last few times out I have been having the issue of the reticle moving far left. This last time out I was shooting on relatively smooth concrete. I have noticed that the front of my bipod legs are sliding to the left during recoil I think. I tried several different things to correct this but had no luck. Next time out I am going to try to get the legs of the bipod on the gravel pad and see what happens there.

• Note, I had this problem in the class until Greg showed me a pic he took of me from above and behind. My right shoulder was to the rear, my left shoulder was to the front. So the rifle was following path of least resistance. Rear of rifle going to the rear, front of rifle going to the left. I just couldn't see that myself. It had to be someone seeing me to the rear.
    The solution was to push up into the rifle a bit more. Mostly just to take the slack out of the bipod.
    Once I started doing that, the left move of the barrel stopped.
    Of course, your situation could be different, but that was the case for me.

Follow the steps we learned in the class and don't forget to take the slack out of the bipod ... and let us know if that helps.
    :)

• @bear9350 Shooting on a smooth slick surface will certainly enhance the problem, but the problem is still there, even if you shoot in the dirt.

• Headed to the range yesterday. Instead of setting up directly on the concrete I placed a hard rubber mat under my bipod. This made a significant improvement on my reticle movement during and after the shot. Still not nearly as good as I was seeing while shooting in gravel during the class though. My reticle was moving primarily up, about 2-1/2 mils and about 1 mil to the left during each shot and staying there.

I started out shooting some groups with the 6.5 CM. This is a load I've been working on.
    Hornady brass
    140 grain Hornady ELD-M
    40.5 grains H4350
    My goal was to seat the bullet .01 from the lands. I used the method Greg showed to find the lands. I had some difficulty seating bullets to my desired length with repeatability. I am on the search for a Forster Co-ax, to improve my reloading results. Until then I think I will continue with this load. It is giving me decent enough results to use to improve my position/ technique I think.

[img]4eLX7Sl.jpg

After spending some time with the 6.5 CM I wanted spend a little time with the .223. This is a Savage Model 11. I've never had much luck getting good groups with this gun, and it had always given my issues while cycling the action. I've not done much shooting with it the last couple of years.

This is the standard group at 100 yards with this gun and most ammo I've tried through it.

[img]557Ammu.jpg

This is probably the best group I've shot with this gun. 100 yards with Match Hornady ammo.

[img]qtIwr22.jpg

Still not nearly as good as I was seeing while shooting in gravel during the class though.

Getting into the dirt has always been the best! :)

• I was setup in the gravel last night doing some shooting out to 600 yards. If I was setting up/ taking my time I was pretty happy with my results. When I was rushing/ not focusing on all the stuff taught in class, I would get a little more reticle movement. I was still able to get hits on 6" steel at 600 yards, I just wasn't able to see it happen.

Overall a pretty good night of shooting. I put one 5 shot group down on paper at 600 yards. There was about 6" of vertical spread and about 1-1/2" of horizontal spread. I do know when I was making those particular shots my reticle was primarily moving up about 3 mils during the shot. These shots were also made with the last of the Hornady American Gunner Ammo I had so maybe some variation in ammo is being seen here?

• I was planning on working some loads up last night for this weekend. But then I found a Forster Co-ax to purchase. Tracking info leads me to believe I should see it Saturday. So all reloading activities will be on hold until it arrives.

• @bear9350 you’ll enjoy that co-ax

• I got the Forster Co-ax Saturday. Saturday PM I sized a lot of brass. Sunday I loaded that lot up. Wow, what a difference compared to the Lee press I had been using. Every round I measured was right on the money after getting it setup. Setup was a lot easier too. Much less frustrating to do setup when you make an adjustment and see the expected result in the next piece formed or bullet seated. Reloading time sped up a lot as I didn't feel I needed to measure nearly every case to see if it was right.

Monday night rifle league last night. I only put 25 rounds down range, but they were very purposeful rounds. Did a lot of dry fire in between live rounds to really vet my position etc before sending one down range. Still fighting some rather extreme reticle movement on some shots. Sometimes if I really focus on doing everything perfect I can turn it on and off. Sometimes know matter how well I pay attention to the things Greg taught in class I seem to not be able to change the movement of the reticle during recoil.

Sometimes know matter how well I pay attention to the things Greg taught in class I seem to not be able to change the movement of the reticle during recoil.

Diagnosis can be tough sometimes. Making honest shots, you at least see whats happening. Choosing which corrective action to apply may not always be self evident or right on the surface. The way you apply correction is as important as the correction applied.

• @orkan The real frustration comes on the days when no matter what I do a can't get the reticle to stop moving left. Even when I am majorly overcompensation with things that should be pushing the reticle right instead of left. It makes me wonder if there is something fundamentally wrong with my position or how I shoulder the rifle. It feels like I am doing this all the same as I was during the class though.

This next time I think I am going to borrow the GoPro from work. I can set the camera up behind me and not only video but also connect it to my phone and maybe get some real time video of what my body is doing.

• Had a good night at the range last night. I was able to turn the bipod hop on and off and keep my crosshairs on target (+- .2 mil). Most of my issues were related to how I was positioning my head. I was also quit happy with my results on paper at 600 yards. I had about a 3.5" group. The vertical was right on but I missed the wind call a bit and the hits were just a bit left. I had dialed in on steel at 600 yards then took a brief break prior to shooting the group on target. Realized my error after going back to steel for the last few shots.

• It has been a busy couple months with some shooting mixed in here and there. The last couple weeks I have been doing some regular shooting with a small group of guys to test out some PRS style stages for an event we are hoping to hold Oct 6. Been having a lot of fun doing that with that group of guys. I plan to make an official proposal to the board of directors of the club to hold the event tomorrow evening.

Finally had some time to finish up some load development and get a good zero with the new load last night. It was a bit of a challenge as we currently have a thriving mosquito population due to all the rain we have gotten the last month. On the occasions where I was able to really concentrate/ forget about all the bugs I was having great results. When I was rushing myself because of all the mosquitos that were flying around/ landing on me the results were not so great, still sub 1 moa but not nearly what I know this gun/ ammo combination and myself are capable of on a good day.

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.