Bear9350's RRT

• I figured I should start one of these up for myself to track my progress and hopefully gain some insight for the rest of you. I won't be able to shoot every day or even every week but I do try to get out about twice a month. Easier for me to shoot in the winter and early spring before field work starts.

Almost 2 months ago now I received a barreled action from Travis in 6.5 CM. I threw a Timney 517 trigger on it and then slapped it in one of those KRG Bravo chassis. I started out cleaning, shooting a few rounds and cleaning etc... over a few weeks as I had time to do so. I had cleaned/ shot a few times and decided to actually do some shooting with it last Monday for the first time. I started out with a couple 5 shot groups. The second of the 2 was about a 3/8" group.

[IMG]c17Agpq.jpg

I adjusted my zero, and then shot the Monthly target from one of the other forum's. I was having a heck of a time getting comfortable. We had gotten a couple inches of snow earlier in the day, there was a bit of wind, and it was actively snowing. Never-the-less I was pleased with most of the shots I took. There were definitely some I knew where not where they needed to be when I squeezed. But even then, now that I am shooting a good gun, it seems the bad shots aren't nearly as bad and much more predictable.

[IMG]jDltDSI.jpg

• Saturday I got together with my brother and did some shooting behind his house. We started at 200 and worked our way out to 500 yards. Again pretty pleased with the majority of shots that I took. Most of the shooting was done at the 500 yard target. I was shooting about a 2" group with primarily horizontal spread at the 500 yard target.

I did learn that I need to re-level my scope. It was tracking right, and I needed to keep making adjustments left as we were moving out. (There was virtually no wind Saturday and the little there was would have pushed the bullet left, not right.) I didn't want to take the time to do that Saturday though.

I did have a few issues with feeding Saturday. Not sure if the problem is in the Bravo chassis or the cheap Magpul mags I am using or a combination of both. I had no issues with the same mags feeding the R700 308 with PTG bottom metal. I need to study that a little closer to see what is going on.

We can shoot to nearly 600 yards from my brothers haymow. I want to build a responsive target to place on the edge of the field. The plan is to build something tall enough that we can set on a rock pile and get above the corn during late summer/ early fall. I have a design modeled up but wanted to do a little proof-of-concept before spending money on having steel cut. I did some quick fab work Friday night and cut a 6" gong and made a stand out of angle iron. I was able to ding that consistently at 500 yards and I believe it will work as intended so I started procuring parts for it this morning.

I figure I will clean the barrel one more time now for the final barrel break-in clean (74 rounds through the barrel as of today) and then just clean when the gun tells me too.

• You should switch to imgur for pictures. Can't see those ones you posted.

• Joined a fairly local gum clinic today. I've been looking for somewhere nearby with longer then a 200 yard range. This place has a lower range from 25 out to 200 yards, and a second from 300 out to 600. I need to go to the long range class before using the long range. Hopefully I can get that scheduled soon. They seem to be pretty active and have a league on the 600 yard range Monday nights spring through fall.

Did some shooting at 100 and 200 after the orientation today.

Best group at 100 was this .18" group. I just did the last break-in cleaning last night so I put about 10 rounds through to foul the barrel before this group.

[IMG]w8WjicX.jpg

Then backed up to 200 yards and shot this 5 shot group. I was starting to have issues by this point. It was cold, my eyes were bugging up and both glasses and scope lens were fogging up. I know I pulled the 2 low ones. Everything after this one was not so good.

[IMG]GASORAJ.jpg

Put 41 rounds through the gun today.

• Made it to the range today. Started with doing a tall target test to check the scope level. It wasn't perfect but wasn't horribly of. Here is the bottom. 3 shots here. The zero was a bit off.

[IMG]EBlmbw5.jpg

And here is the top 2 shots.

[IMG]iTTy4Am.jpg

This was with 10 mils of elevation adjustment. I figured it is about .2 mils right over 10 mils of elevation. I can live with that until I have time to make it better.

If anybody has any suggestions for how to better do this I would be open to suggestions. In the past I've just tried to make minor adjustments from this point to try and perfect the alignment. It's kind of time consuming and a little more guess and check then I would like.

Then I tried my hand at a dot drill. The top 2 rows were shot on the bench. The bottom 2 were shot prone.

[IMG]thYr4LB.jpg

• Did some shooting at steel Saturday. I had a spinner style target at 200 yards and a plate rack at 500 yards. Both the spinner and rack had 6" gongs.

Last summer/ fall when putting my plans together to build this rifle I asked Orkan on another forum what action he would use and why. A the time I didn't understand what was meant by the ergonomics of the Lone Peak Arms actions are better than others. After doing some shooting at the spinner, working the bolt and getting back on target/ staying on target seemed effortless. I think I atleast understand some of what was meant by improved ergonomics.

I've also been trying to work on my position/ form. It seems that I must be doing a little better in this area. I was able to watch nearly every one of my hits on the steel targets in the scope at 500 yards.

Total of 70 rounds put down range through the 6.5CM. Then some other assortments of .223 and pistol. Finished the day by pulling out a baggie full of old 30-30 ammo my uncle gave me and had some fun with that for a bit.

• @bear9350 said:

Last summer/ fall when putting my plans together to build this rifle I asked Orkan on another forum what action he would use and why. A the time I didn't understand what was meant by the ergonomics of the Lone Peak Arms actions are better than others. After doing some shooting at the spinner, working the bolt and getting back on target/ staying on target seemed effortless. I think I at least understand some of what was meant by improved ergonomics.

Lots more to it, but that is certainly one of the things I was referring to. The ability to get back into battery without violating NPA.

• The range I recently became a member of had a RSO open up the 600 yard range today. Because I haven't taken there long range course yet I am not able to shoot on the range without an RSO.

There was a cross breeze varying from 5-15 mph this afternoon with it varying from 0 out to 600 yards. I spent most of my time working on some clay pigeons on the 600 yard berm and doing my best to play the wind.

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.