Powder and Boolit recommendations for a .223 24" heavy barrel with 12 twist

• My new barreled action is a 12 twist .223
    This action will be the base for my .223 mid-ranger FTR rifle, however, as I accumulate $$ and parts for the planned build I would like to burn this barrel out at the local 200 yard range.
    All of my experience with .223 loads have been with the 55s and up for AR platforms. So if you wouldn't mind, I would appreciate some advice here. This is for my rifle named Pupuka (Hawaiian for Ugly)

• I too have the same issue. Heavy bullets are all I shoot

I had a friend find some old hand loads somewhere. They were his olds room mates I think he said. Ten years old based on the card in the box.

If you believe the load card they were 55 gr vmax's and 23.5 gr of 2015 in LC 92 cases. I thought I'd burn through them in my rifle just to foul the barrel during load development, but they shot so well I saved a few for squirrels or what not. The rifle (700p 1:9 26") puts 5 into sub half moa groups off a bench and bags. I was actually amazed.

When I get around to it I'm going to attempt to reproduce the results with my own hand loads using the same components (Better brass though).

I consider 55gr light

Good luck. Post up when you find what works. I'm always interested in 223 loads.

• Thanks, Ragnarnar, I shot 50 rounds of crimped AR fodder, with cheap Remington 55 gn FMJ bullets on top of 24.0 gn 2230 on Sunday. Those were the first rounds fired from this rifle. I zeroed the rifle @ 100, shot the first 25 rounds, cleaned and shot the rest at pieces of clay pigeons on the berm just past 200 yards. All of my powders that I currently have are geared for the heavier .223/5.56 or .308s. I'm looking to get something in the 50-53 grain and a good powder to push. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be like Varget, unobtanium, around here.

• Have a look at the 52gr SMK in front of about 25gr of varget. Usually pretty tough not to have some good results there.

• @orkan said:

Have a look at the 52gr SMK in front of about 25gr of varget. Usually pretty tough not to have some good results there.

Thanks Greg, unfortunately Varget is a myth here.

• Anything in the same ball park regarding burn rate should be fine.

This should get you started: http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp

If you can get me a list of what you have available, I can give you better direction.

• Keep an eye out on sites that sell powder. they are getting it in stock. I got 16lb of varget from powder valley a few days ago. Hazmat is high, but if you buy a few kegs and split it among friends it is usually lower than buying local.

Powder valley
    Midsouth shooters
    grafs
    maybe even midway or brownells

• @dddoo7

Thanks ddd. I saw PV had 8 lbers, it is getting powder here that is so costly. Everything needs to go through a freight forwarder via surface.

• @orkan said:

Anything in the same ball park regarding burn rate should be fine.

This should get you started: http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp

If you can get me a list of what you have available, I can give you better direction.

I have IMR 4895, RL-15, IMR 4064 in my possesion and a local shop has BLC-2 and Vectan 5000
    The 4064 and 4895 are in the neighborhood of the Varget as well as the Vectan.
    I have no knowledge of the Vectan.

• @mamalukino said:

The 4064 and 4895 are in the neighborhood of the Varget

Yup, either of those should be workable.

• Alrighty then, I will try those untill I can score some Varget.

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.