Bullets From The Bible 11/15/17

• a1qJcTq.jpg

In Daniel 6, the king was foolishly influenced by his advisers to start a decree. His new law stated that anyone who prayed to anyone other than himself as king would be thrown into a den of lions. The advisers got the king to start this decree because they didn't like Daniel and wanted to see him killed. They knew that he loved and served God.

So Daniel, knowing the decree continued praying to God as he had in the past. Very soon after the kings advisers brought it to the king's attention and had Daniel, at the king's dismay, thrown into a den of lions. However...once a law was made...tradition held that they could not reverse that law...so the king reluctantly upholds the law and puts Daniel in with the lions.

Notice the text below:

Daniel 6:16-22 says, "So the king gave the command, and they brought Daniel and cast him into the den of lions. But the king spoke, saying to Daniel, “Your God, whom you serve continually, He will deliver you.” [17] Then a stone was brought and laid on the mouth of the den, and the king sealed it with his own signet ring and with the signets of his lords, that the purpose concerning Daniel might not be changed.Daniel Saved from the Lions[18] Now the king went to his palace and spent the night fasting; and no musicians were brought before him. Also his sleep went from him. [19] Then the king arose very early in the morning and went in haste to the den of lions. [20] And when he came to the den, he cried out with a lamenting voice to Daniel. The king spoke, saying to Daniel, “Daniel, servant of the living God, has your God, whom you serve continually, been able to deliver you from the lions?” [21] Then Daniel said to the king, “O king, live forever! [22] “My God sent His angel and shut the lions’ mouths, so that they have not hurt me, because I was found innocent before Him; and also, O king, I have done no wrong before you.”

God had a purpose for Daniel and God spared Daniel in this den of lions. The advisers thought they had beat Daniel by this law...but they missed the reality that God is in control. God was not ready for Daniel to die so God protected Daniel by shutting the lion's mouths.

The entirety of the book of Daniel teaches the principle time and again that God is in control. God's people were under captivity to foreign nations...yet God was in control. The kings often thought they were the power of the nation...but were quickly brought down and reminded that God is in control. If we ever forget that God is in control...we will have missed all that matters. If we continually trust Him and obey Him...then His will is accomplished through our lives!