Bigfoots RRT

• Brass can measure out perfectly, and still not shoot well. The core material used to manufacture it has quite a lot of bearing on the final result. That core material can turn into something entirely different in the end, as a function of the processes used to draw it and shape it.

Some companies have this process all figured out. Others are just muddling around in the weeds making money off quantity government contracts.

• @orkan
    And then it is kind of like a beer can, use it once and recycle it. I see where you are coming from. I think General Dynamics is a Canadian ordinance maker. Someone once filmed a round being fired in a chamber made of clear acrylic resin to illustrate how the brass flowed in the chamber. I wish I could remember where I saw that. Super slow motion too.

• Back in 2005 I believe I had two Mauser actions barrelled with Remington 260 Midway Barrels. One was a bull barrel for a friend of mine as a birthday present and the other was a lighter weight contour for a basic hunting rig. I did a little work on them mostly stock fitting and and some polishing before bluing. I might have drilled and tapped the receivers for scope mounts I don't remember. Anyway, I loaded all the ammo for my friends rifle up until two years ago when he was killed in a tractor accident. I grabbed a load using BLC-2 out of a manual with 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and never changed a thing and he came back every other year for two to three twenty round boxes and returned the brass. One year I loaded him one hundred and didn't see him for a while. I don't know how many animals he killed with it but he never complained so I figured all was good. I have the lighter barrelled rifle and after thirteen years I decided it's time to shoot it again. I found a target with a three shot group I suppose I shot using 35.0 grains of Varget and 120 grain Nosler BT's. It looked promising so I loaded a fifteen rounds starting at 36 grains of Varget working up to 37 grains. Book says 40 is max. I bought a box of Hornady 130 Gr. ELD Match yesterday for comparison and took everything to the range for a try. First shot with the factory load went four inches high and about an inch and a half left. When I got home yesterday I found the stock has warped putting some pressure on the right side of the barrel however slightly. The barrel is free floated except where it's hitting now and I will fix that. Not trying to make excuses but I had about the crappiest set up with bags and I couldn't get the bipod on it so I'm hoping this isn't a real representation of what I can do with some load work and better optics. Wind was steady sixteen gusting to about twenty and variable depending on the showers spitting rain everywhere yesterday. I got tired of messing with the scope and shot three of the factory for a group and moved on to my handloads. The handloads are messy, real messy so It's time to get started and I have some brass to work with. The 130 grain ELD delivered the best groups so that might be a good starting point for projectiles and I don't have a single one.
    98 Mauser / Midway .260 Remington Barrel
    Simmons Aetec 2.5x10 In Redfield Base And Rings
    Military Stock Recontoured And Barrel Floated
    Bold Adjustable Trigger 4#
    Bolt Handle And Machine Work Performed By Refugio Industries Refugio Texas
    w2NjOHx.jpg
    IHihW5F.jpg
    7YN2Ayd.jpg
    ku9xzae.jpg

• Jumped on my .260 today for a little maintenance. Ran some Hoppes copper solvent through the barrel since I don't believe I have cleaned it ever. Maybe when it was back from the machine shop thirteen years ago. I kept seeing copper so I used an ammonia free treatment that seemed to get it out, at least I can't see any streaks. I pulled the action from the stock and sanded the barrel channel and while it was out reset the trigger to 2.5#. Got the bipod attached securely but it's crooked so I've got to jack one leg up a bit. Don't know what's up with that. I did a tight patch barrel twist procedure and I measure nine inches for a turn, wish it was a little faster but I'm stuck with it. Got four projectile choices, 130 Berger's AR Hybrid OTM Tacticals, Hornady 140 grain A Max and 120 A Max and the 120 Ballistic tips. I do have some 95 grain V Max for later. Fuel is going to be H4831SC this time, stay tuned.

• After doing some 22 shooting this week I decided to break out my CZ 455 17 HMR that has been hiding in the safe for several years and put a scope on it for the second time in its life. I have shot this rifle very little and never really sat down and tried to shoot a group or even get a good zero. I believe I bought it eight years ago and might have shot it a total of twenty times then cleaned it and put it away. First off the trigger drastically needs some help. I don't think it is adjustable so that is a must. Second, the bolt is hard as heck to manipulate but that could just be from never being used and third the threads on the barrel are 1/2x20 so to use a suppressor an adapter is necessary and it didn't come with a thread protector so I bought a top port brake for it and my Englishman machinist friend made a shroud to cover the ugly adapter and time the brake. The only reason I got this threaded rifle was I had a rimfire suppressor waiting on paperwork that I thought was rated for 17 HMR, but it wasn't so I was stuck with it. Anyway, I set up targets at 100 yards and got zeroed pretty quick after bore sighting and shot some five shot groups first with Hornady 17 grain exclusively. The second target I tried three varieties of Winchester from 15.5 up to 20 grains. The last try lower right hand was back to the Hornady loads. By the time I was on the second target it seemed like the trigger lost some of the gritty feel but still is heavy, I suspect it is close to five pounds. I tried a challenge target but this Nikon scope's cross hairs are too heavy, they all but obstructed the entire circle and I only placed three hits in the circles most going left and low. Overall I am not too ashamed of the rifles performance and I take a lot of the blame for the wild shots. And as for this Nikon Monarch scope I am not sure what to use it for, it's definitely not for small targets at longer ranges. The ranging circles work good if you use their Spot On program and I actually got some hits on a 12" plate at 300 yards yesterday with a moderate crosswind. It started raining so I had to give up. One last thing, I had lots of split cases after firing in the Winchester ammunition. I looked at the Hornady and found a couple that had split as well. I thought they had this problem fixed with the brass and this is pretty darn new ammo stored in a controlled environment. Not on the dash of a truck or Polaris. And it does it in my other 17 rifle so who knows what's up with that.
    oGHTkpD.jpg
    TP8wzQe.jpg
    hb68uvx.jpg
    eumeKV4.jpg
    Mrne44B.jpg

• I went to the range yesterday to sight in my Anschutz with the Schmidt and Bender scope I bought. I went ahead and put a rail on the rifle and had some inexpensive 30mm rings that were the right height so I mounted it up last week. I took my CZ 452 22 mag also and my friend took his model 52 Winchester and a 17 HMR. He got lucky, I had a box of 17 in my stuff and he forgot all of his at his house. Maybe he planned it that way. We had a little wind but I have shot in way stronger but overall my performance was not good. The scope is great, nice eye relief, controls are crisp, just what I expect from quality equipment. Its FFP but I set it at 12x and left it there. Super easy to see with both eyes open not like the lower end stuff I'm used to. I went straight to Center X for ammo then later switched to CCI Sub Sonic 40 grain hollow points. After fifteen rounds through it of the CCI's I shot what I call the best group of the day. I had one crawl out of the hole but that's pretty much my trademark :( I did a change up in holds and grip and everything went horizontal in one series of targets and I'm still trying to get used to the thumb hole stock. Might try using a front bad instead of a Harris bipod next time. I switched over to the 22 Mag and shot my first group lower right hand corner of one target with some new ammo I haven't tried in it. CCI A22 Magnum, made for automatic I'm guessing a Savage. I was zeroed for 100 yards so it shot a hair high and right but made a nice cloverleaf shaped hole with five shots at 50 yards. Then Einstein started dikking with the scope and finally left it alone and tried some 30 grain V Max loads that I had been shooting at 100. Got a few good groups and my buddy took a stab at it but he's built like an orangutan with long arms and didn't like my set up and griped the whole time. I know it's only 50 yards but when I first started shooting this CZ I could barely keep it inside an inch and a half with Winchester and some other brands even at 50. I installed a Timney trigger when I got it and adjusted it to two pounds before I shot this time. Along with the ammo change it made a heck of a difference. That 52 of my friends is pretty cool. It's a civilian target model I believe. If I can get the picture to be straight I will attach it.
    XCcL7xm.jpg
    Different grip
    9dLfUwi.jpg
    CCI Sub's
    zUTgKxs.jpg
    22 Mag
    Uol2BQK.jpg
    U83pt7I.jpg

• @bigfoot
    His Winchester:
    pnPx0lo.jpg

• Made it to the range today to try some SOCOM loads and try to zero my 22 after a scope change. The 22 was a breeze, hit paper the first shot at 50 yards and then it was spin the dials. This scope has 1/8 moa clicks and for what I got in it I can't complain at all. Need to work on the zero just a little more. That tiny amount showed up on the challenge target I shot along with my poor handling of the rifle in general. I started out with a clean barrel and after group four, the happy one, I shot a challenge target. Still need some more practice. Think I will print a load of dot targets and train on them before I run out of Center X. The scope on the 458 was still pretty close after setting it back on so I shot four groups with four different loads at fifty yards. That scope isn't for target work but it will suffice and I can't explain the two shots that busted the two lower charged groups. Probably a position problem. The half grain increase really scattered them out I'm not sure I didn't cause that. I have several more loads to try with the Barnes projectiles and did recover one out of the dirt. I will get a pic of it tomorrow. The 4227 is dirty so I might stay away from it and load some 300 grain hollow points that are a little cheaper to play with. The last time I shot this rifle the action screws backed out. They didn't today but the brake came loose.
    NhnCd24.jpg
    b5WsQbc.jpg
    isTPg4k.jpg

• I finally got back to my Mauser .260 Remington I was messing with. Man, that was nine months ago a lot has happened since then. I did a run of hand loads with Berger 130's and some 120 Ballistic Tips starting with a .030 jump with the berger's and a .020 with the Ballistic Tips. I still had the Simmons scope for optics and after wasting all my ammunition messing with it I gave it a nice burial in the box it came in. So, now for part II. I pulled the Zeiss 3x9 off of my .257 Roberts that I know is good and for around a hundred yards I have confidence it will do what I need. My goal is consistent one inch or sub inch at a hundred for hunting. This is a utility rifle and needs way more money put into it to do anything but that. Might put out for a stock and a little more magnification but that's it. I loaded up some more rounds of the same projectiles and powder and shortened the jump to .010. I went back and got sighted in pretty close and started my ladder test I guess you call it and had another goof up. Had a primer failure, not from pressure it blew a pin hole of to the side of the firing pin strike and put a nice hickey on the bolt face. WLR primer that came out of a partial sleeve I had with the rest of them in a box. That's a real pisser. About five rounds later I had another one. This time it blew right at the ejector cut in the bolt so it didn't get the face. I had one more that didn't blow but leaked around the cup and that was it. I didn't take anymore chances and all the rounds that had dingy looking primers were quarantined. Basically I have started over using what little information I have gathered and came up with some more loads to try and yesterday I went come hell or high water. I went back to the lower charge weights that looked promising and stayed with the .010 jump and finally got through some rounds without anything happening. I got into some new primers and brass and some with once fired brass and got some useful stuff to work with. Maybe next time it won't be blowing twenty miles an hour and trying to mist rain. I believe the wind was a big factor for sure. I might leave the 120's alone and concentrate on 130 and up. The spire points shot better than I figured and three five shot groups doesn't mean squat. At least I have a starting place.
    The first group was 39.7. Clean barrel so I don't think it means much.
    R7uBUvD.jpg
    Ballistic Tips
    4JCICc0.jpg
    Number 11 Ballistic Tip load went vertical like crazy then I shot three loads of the spire points. By then the wind was shaking the target racks and loose objects were blowing off the bench. The two groups show a little promise subtracting the wild shots. I fired one 95 (#12) grain load and the impact was too far off to mess with. Maybe another day.
    qB15edN.jpg

• @bigfoot
    I have to make a correction. The three Hornady 129 grain Interlock loads were charged with I4350 not H4350. The rest are correct, sorry. H sure is more popular and the two have their own load data.

• The pinholes that appeared in Winchester primers that I was using seems to be a manufacturing defect. I wrote down the lot numbers and googled then came across some chatter on a website Called The Handloaders Bench with a list of numbers in a recall for the same problem I had. I have used almost 300 out of one box and lucky me that box is on the list. I have another thousand with a different number that I couldn't find on the list so I guess I will use them and destroy the rest. Comparing the two different lots the supposedly good ones are a different color like a shiny brass. The others are dingy, must have made them out of substandard metal. The numbers were released in 2018 but I have no idea the manufacturing date of either box of primers. One could have been bought around six or seven years ago but the good one I have was bought last year for sure.

• I had problems with the Winchester LRP a few years ago.
    Pierced the edges and fire cut the bolt face on my .308. Sent pictures and lot #s to Winchester and never heard back from them.....
    No longer a customer and started buying Lapua .308 small primer brass.
    The good ones were, as you said, like shiny brass and the pin holers were more coppery colored.
    Towards bottom of page...
    https://forums.gunhive.com/topic/657/understanding-pressure/10

• @mamalukino
    I didn't know there was any trouble with Winchester but I do now. They were about all that was available locally and I just got into this box a while back so I have a hundred or so 7x57 Mauser primed cases I need to punch back out and see what else I put them in. I have shot a few also, so it's not too bad. Sure jacked up the bolt face. I contacted Winchester regarding some 22 magnum they sell that were splitting and never heard back. I sent pictures and receipts from Academy and nada. I have eight boxes sitting on a shelf I guess I will deep six with the primers. I hope pistol primers are ok, that's all I have is Winchester.

• I will not buy anything from them.
    They were apparently aware of the problem and ignored their customers that had problems using their crap.

• @mamalukino
    I have a box of 1000 Federal Gold Medal Match I just bought and like a dummy passed on some at that estate sale I went to. I paid $65.00 for these and they had a mountain of them for $25.00/1000. Picked up one brick of small rifle GMM there for $20.00. With the humidity here I don't care to store a load of them even in ammo cans with desiccant packs. Some people keep them forever in coffee cans, don't know if I'm that lucky.

• I know humidity. I am 150 yards off the ocean and 65 yards to the Iao river. I keep my primers in 50 cal ammo cans with desiccant without any problems.
    Back in 1992 Hurricane Inicki devastated Kauai, many homes destroyed.
    A good friend of mine lived upon a hill and his home was totally destroyed, scattering all kinds of debris including primers. The street was literally covered with soaking wet primers for days. Once it dried up and the clearing began, equipment was brought in to clean up the destroyed homes. Cats of all sizes, were put into use and when they reached David's street they started running over and popping primers! The street was subsequently closed down and a hazmat team was called in to get rid of the primers. David and some of our gang cleaned up and saved as much as they could before being chased off. After all that David saved the primers and dried them out and used them even in high power matches. As far as I know not a dud in the bunch! Anyway 90%+ of those were Winchester primers and David swore by them due to that hurricane experience.
    I have never had a Winchester LR, LP or SRP fail to ignite, but on a few I wish they hadn't.
    I have primers over 20+ years and still expect them to go pop when used. Recently I shot some old Remington 91/2 Magnums that have been around for longer than I can remember.

• @mamalukino @bigfoot

Primers are actually very resilient to moisture. The pellet in primers made by most reputable manufacturers has a protective "varnish" laid over top of it to seal it, specifically to combat moisture. They can be exposed to air even in humid environments and last a very long time. Direct sunlight can be a no-no however.

• @orkan
    Heck, sounds like I'm good then except for the metallurgy issue Winchester had. Come to think of it the only time I had any misfires was one time with a Swedish Mauser due to the cocking piece coming in contact with the screw on a Buehler safety.

• Back on the .260 again. I shot some 95 grain VMax loads for a change using three different powders. I don't think the guy that developed this caliber had his mind on lighter bullets but like they say if you got em', smoke em'. None of these really were what I would call horrible maybe this cheap barrel is made for lighter stuff. I have a couple of 130 and 120 grain loads I am going to pursue and hope I hit something with Varget that I can live with. I have an excess of that stuff. I shot some Blackout also. I have a Wilson Combat barreled Spikes upper I switch out on a Colt lower with a Burris MTac 1-4 scope with a donut reticle for optics on it. Pretty much stock with a CMC trigger and I shot suppressed through a SRT Shadow can at 100 yards. I loaded 4227, 110, 296 and Lil Gun. Lil Gun took the trophy and the W 296 right behind it. With that optic the groups were inside 2" at 100 shot off of a bipod at a moderate rate of fire. Not quite up to Rambo speed just steady. The brass all landed in the same spot and no failures and no pressure signs on any of the primers. There are so many loads out there for Blackout I just go to the middle of the book charges and start there. I shoot mostly subs so I don't really give a ratsass about the rest of it. Any way, pictures.
    The BLC2 group one got away from me, way away and I did it twice. I had a Harris bipod that kept coming loose but that's been fixed. I mounted a short rail section on the bottom of the stock to attach a different style bipod.
    tjt4xWe.jpg
    Blackout ( I shot V Max and Z Max both were the same )
    U1zVo9S.jpg

• I made it to the range with a friend of mine last week to do some pistol shooting and chronograph some pistol hand loads he was messing with. I took my XDM 45 and my S&W 686 plus 38/.357 revolver that I hadn't shot in quite a while. The XDM Is basically new, I have only fired maybe three magazines through it. I haven't shot the 686 much either and sometimes carry it at the ranch loaded with snake shot. I was going to use it to dispatch trapped pigs but I gave up on the trapping. It's a pleasure to shoot with 38 Specials and magnums also. Just a great pistol if you like wheel guns. I brought a front rifle sand bag with me and just shot from the bench and a couple of attempts standing. I only salvaged one target, the rest got shot up pretty bad and it was of the XDM shot with two different types of ammo from the sand bag at around fifty feet. Next time I go I want to try at twenty five yards after I get a little experience with the pistol. I wouldn't mind doing something to the trigger on the XDM it does seem to have quite a bit of travel but once you get to the end of the pull it's pretty clean. I had to lower my point of aim while sitting but when standing I ended up pulling the shots low and to the right. Bad control of the pistol not a sight problem. I have a XDM 9mm Compact Mod 2 also. It's sweet.
    SWdNj93.jpg

• I made it to the range yesterday to try a few loads for my 260. Nothing too exciting going on maybe the lighter bullets but the 129's and up still need some work. Might be alright for short range hunting and about par for the set up. I still have the Zeiss 3x9 for optics and shot off of a bipod and a bag in the rear at 100 yards from a bench. Wind wasn't doing much and we were at about 91degrees at 2:00 pm when I got there. The Interlock loads were all hovering around 1.75" so I might get off of the 4350 and try another powder. I shot a couple of loads with Berger 130's with the lighter charge of 40.0 of H 4350 printing a .850" group. I don't remember the jump on those I have to go to my notes, I think .010. Bumped it up a grain and opened up the group. Might load more of the 40.0 samples and shoot a higher quantity. Five doesn't tell much. I switched to some 95 grain V Max samples and impacts went about 2" higher but I left the scope alone.The winner for these was 39.7 grains of Varget coming in at .600" and .700". I had twenty of them loaded and definitely going back to that load. I had some neck sized brass and loaded ten each with 48.0 grains of W 760 and ten of 41.0 of BLC2. The winner was the BLC loads if you throw the wild one out. Four went into .500 and the one that crawled out put it at 1.2. The W760 was 1.050 and note the higher impact. That's some old 760 powder I used. I sure was tempted to ask one of the regular guys that shoot at my range if I could strap his magnetospeed on my barrel and see what these 95's were doing. They would be a good coyote smasher I bet. Since I have a rail on this rig now I might upgrade the scope and get out the Acraglas and attempt to bed the action in the old stock. That straight carbine style stock isn't too good for shooting from the bench, they were made for combat shooting and a club when you ran out of ammo.
    0Kg6elU.jpg
    V Max
    RRNJXok.jpg
    Neck Sized
    Oce1uKu.jpg

• Back to the range yesterday with a sack full of sample loads for my .260. I discovered from the last time I was there that using a bipod for a front rest could cause the stock to come in contact with the barrel. The stock is pretty thin towards the front end. No problem, shoot off of a bag a little closer to the action. Another thing. I committed a sin at the loading bench. Shame on me and it's not going to happen again at this stage. I had mixed Hornady brass with my fired Remington brass and somehow a Nosler got thrown in there. I can't prove it had an effect and some of the fired brass from yesterday got mixed up but I did manage to have the correct empties grouped with their corresponding loads. I was shooting mixed brass in the previous load tests too. Might explain some of the wild shots, can't prove that either. Stupid mistake. Anyway, I did put a Vortex Viper scope on and retired the Zeiss back to my .257 Roberts. I shot some Scirocco 130 grain loads and that was a dead end. Bullets are too long, longer than Berger 130's and I'm out of Berger's anyway. Everything was shot at 100 yards from a bench using front and rear bags and all loads were 95 grain Vmax except two loads of Sierra Varminter 100 grain hollow points. Bet they would make a mess. I threw anew powder in a couple of samples of IMR 8208 XBR just for grins. I might work on it a bit that's some neat looking powder and measures well.
    First two with the 8208:
    pZ9OrnG.jpg
    bGT5QTi.jpg
    Sierra HPBT:
    bGT5QTi.jpg
    It starts getting weird and I confirmed mixed brass but don't know the order fired:
    sJ9wR3O.jpg
    Again mixed brass
    lmT1xlc.jpg
    Mixed but not a bad group:
    KA3MzXN.jpg
    One piece of Hornady:
    DL17aut.jpg
    Mixed:
    vzZaQaj.jpg
    I had these three left over and don't know if it's Hornady or Remington:
    pDHyQlB.jpg

• @bigfoot Shoot, I left the Sierra hollow points out and duplicated an 8208 load.
    a0b2QbU.jpg

• @bigfoot said in Bigfoots RRT:

e closer to the action. Another thing. I committed a sin at the loading bench. Shame on me and it's not going to happen again at this stage. I had mixed Hornady brass with my fired Remington brass and somehow a Nosler got thrown in there. I can't prove it had an effect and some of the fired brass from yesterday got mixed up but I did manage to have the correct empties grouped with their corresponding loads. I was shooting mixed brass in the previous load tests too. Might explain some of the wild shots, can't prove that either. Stupid mistake. Anyway, I did put a Vortex Viper scope on and retired the Zeiss back to my .257 Roberts. I shot some Scirocco 130 grain loads and that was a dead end. Bullets are too long, longer than Berger 130's and I'm out of Berger's anyway. Everything was shot at 100 yards from a bench using front and rear bags and all loads were 95 grain Vmax except two loads of Sierra Varminter 100 grain hollow points. Bet they would make a mess. I threw anew powder in a couple of samples of IMR 8208 XBR just for grins. I might work on it a bit that's some neat looking powder and measures well.
    First two with the 8208:

Are you only neck sizing your brass?

• @tan_90 I neck sized these samples with a Lee collet die with the exception of the loads charged with IMR 8208. I will full length size these empties and bump the shoulder about .002 before the next loading and keep the Hornady brass separate. Mixing them wasn't in the plan but happened. I'm going to order some Lapua brass and maybe one more loading of this brass then retire it until I can get it annealed. That is one piece of equipment I am lacking.

• Interesting day at the range yesterday. I had it all to myself except for the owner of the place and he was hovering around on a zero turn mower wanting to mow the grass. I offered to leave but he said he had all day and another guy showed up so we busted his bubble I guess. For a while anyway. First, I took my old 1908 Brazilian Mauser I re stocked about eight months ago with a couple of loads I came up with from a prior range visit that didn't go too good. On that trip I finally realized three shots was all this old barrel can stand. It is pretty skinny and heats up quick then throws bullets bad but it would tend to go back to zero when it cooled off. It started raining the last time and I lost my targets but wrote some notes and came up with the V Max load. I did scrub the heck out of the barrel before I shot but never touched the scope from the previous session. I only shot a couple of groups and one try with a 170 grain load but it shot eleven inches low and I only shot one. The clean bore group I shot is succession the other group of five I shot three then shot my other rifle and came back and shot the remaining two. I also shot a three in succession. Keep in mid this rifle and barrel are over 100 years old. The 46.6 load has four in a nice cluster and one away.
    tobx1nD.jpg

The other rifle I shot was my .260 Mauser. I still had some mixed brass loads so I decided to shoot them up. I had one load of matching sized brass of Vmax with 40.5 grains of Varget and it wasn't too good of an attempt. None of the attempts were good with the exception of the 40.2 load of Varget in neck sized mixed brass. Three into a tight spot and two away. I'm done shooting this rifle in the stock I have. I read Orkan's article on grip and this thing defies you to hold it steady. I urge everyone to read his articles I had heck finding them again. I didn't clean the barrel from the previous session. That's it.

4tABk0K.jpg

NhWz8N6.jpg

• @bigfoot said in Bigfoots RRT:

Interesting day at the range yesterday. I had it all to myself except for the owner of the place and he was hovering around on a zero turn mower wanting to mow the grass. I offered to leave but he said he had all day and another guy showed up so we busted his bubble I guess. For a while anyway. First, I took my old 1908 Brazilian Mauser I re stocked about eight months ago with a couple of loads I came up with from a prior range visit that didn't go too good. On that trip I finally realized three shots was all this old barrel can stand. It is pretty skinny and heats up quick then throws bullets bad but it would tend to go back to zero when it cooled off. It started raining the last time and I lost my targets but wrote some notes and came up with the V Max load. I did scrub the heck out of the barrel before I shot but never touched the scope from the previous session. I only shot a couple of groups and one try with a 170 grain load but it shot eleven inches low and I only shot one. The clean bore group I shot is succession the other group of five I shot three then shot my other rifle and came back and shot the remaining two. I also shot a three in succession. Keep in mid this rifle and barrel are over 100 years old. The 46.6 load has four in a nice cluster and one away.
    tobx1nD.jpg

The other rifle I shot was my .260 Mauser. I still had some mixed brass loads so I decided to shoot them up. I had one load of matching sized brass of Vmax with 40.5 grains of Varget and it wasn't too good of an attempt. None of the attempts were good with the exception of the 40.2 load of Varget in neck sized mixed brass. Three into a tight spot and two away. I'm done shooting this rifle in the stock I have. I read Orkan's article on grip and this thing defies you to hold it steady. I urge everyone to read his articles I had heck finding them again. I didn't clean the barrel from the previous session. That's it.

4tABk0K.jpg

NhWz8N6.jpg

Edit: I wrote Ballistic tips on the 7x57 target but they were V Max loads. Must be losing it.

• @bigfoot Boy, I'm really screwed up with these Ballistic Tips and Vmax. Hornady doesn't even make a 140 grain 7mm V max. I looked in my bullet cabinet and the Hornady box was spire points and I found the Nosler box of 140 grain ballistic tips. Duh. Typo screwed me up guess I will have to order some more BALLISTIC TIPS!