Brittel's RRT

• I have been mostly shooting steel lately so I don't have much for paper to show. I decided to change that last night. I needed to check out if anything has changed over the past 1600 rounds or so (and a new lot of powder). Below is a seating depth test, from .010" off the lands to .090". Barrel had 138 rounds on it since cleaned, 194 rounds at the end of the testing. Now to clean it and test again at .010" off the lands. This 6.5 Creedmoor is still running strong at 2430 rounds.

eCVdoIg.jpg

• both .010" and .030" off lands shoot really well. I'm going to load up my next batch at .030" off as the extra .020" room in the magazine is nice.

jdmwZUC.jpg

• That is the TS Customs Build with the Benchmark barrel? Really nice.
    I bet it goes another 1000 rounds without missing a beat. 3-5 in one dot.

• @hypo

You got it! Benchmark blank spun up by @tscustoms. This barrel just hit the 2500 round mark. The first 750 or so rounds were loaded with 41.5gr H4350. The rest have been at 41.0gr, shooting a 140VLD. Time will tell what kind of round count I can expect, I'm hopeful for another 1,000 just like this.

As soon as she starts to open up I might have to try some 85gr Sierra Varminter bullets...just cuz.

• That is still shooting really well for the round count. I went with a 308 partially because I didn't think barrel life would be that good on a 6.5 cm. That shows just how little people really shoot.

I hit 1,700 on my 308 barrel last week and I believe it will be good for at least that many more...but time will tell.

• @brittel, you've been shooting this same setup for quite some time. You should go find a dot drill from a year or so ago to compare to. :)

• I couldn't find much for old photos that weren't cherry picked. These were the best 2 from 9-18-14
    Ak818aN.jpg

10-4-14 best 3 5 shot groups
    lichMud.jpg
    4zCVhAd.jpg
    jIdwWOT.jpg

7-11-15 best 2 5 shot groups
    BUlxcVp.jpg
    lLH4Hrq.jpg

8-12-15
    SngAXUN.jpg

1-29-16
    MGEcS1N.jpg
    xlg65za.jpg
    J6olyjW.jpg
    1CwfJgA.jpg

3-26-16
    7IuiaY4.jpg

7-6-16
    P27PJ7W.jpg
    Pvo7teg.jpg

9-17-16
    SfcqZ6E.jpg

• Some good progress there.

• really makes me wish I did 5x 5 shot groups once a month since I first started.

• No paper this weekend, did very well in a 8-20mph 7/6/5/4 o clock wind at distance on steel.

• Shots #2698 to #2718 out of this 6.5 Creedmoor barrel
    Testing to see how the barrel performs with a high round count since cleaning. The start of this test was at 268 rounds since clean ending at 288 since cleaned.

4x 5rnd groups
    Dot 1 is cold bore cold shooter. I probably didn't wait long enough for things to all come up to temp.
    Dot 2 I yanked one right
    Dot 3 is after I let things cool down a bit.
    Dot 5 I let slip the rear bag, otherwise things still look pretty good.

qx56GWI.jpg

• No picture today, just a short story to remind myself.

Found a flaw in my shooting that would cause me to miss by .6 mils at 1,000 yards.

Fixed said flaw, (I was canting my rifle)... zero'd my scope.

A few days pass... I shoot today and holy crap bad... old habits crept back in. I was bulldozing and canting my rifle. Once that was figured out, back to smashing dots! I think I feel the need to bulldoze because with correct pressure it seems the rifle will be uncontrollable. This is the wrong kind of thinking as with just enough pressure to load the bipod the rifle was very controllable... more so than when bulldozing.

I had Orkan fire a few rounds through my DT... and my position is getting much, much better.

• Update: hit the 3300 round mark today.
    PUZ2lef.jpg

Still shooting!

• @brittel said:

Update: hit the 3300 round mark today.

Still shooting!

But all the internet says your barrel should be shot out by now. ;)

• @norcal_in_az but all the experts on snipershide say creedmoors only last 2500 before they become a shotgun! lol

• @m.mccarthy said:

@norcal_in_az but all the experts on snipershide say creedmoors only last 2500 before they become a shotgun! lol

Problem is the “experts” on snipers hide have probably never shot out a 6.5 creed barrel and therefore have no clue what the actual barrel life of a 6.5 cm is other than what they have heard each other say.

• @dddoo7 said:

@m.mccarthy said:

@norcal_in_az but all the experts on snipershide say creedmoors only last 2500 before they become a shotgun! lol

Problem is the “experts” on snipers hide have probably shot out a 6.5 creed barrel and therefore have no clue what the actual barrel life of a 6.5 cm is other than what they have heard each other say.

Exactly this. When I was looking into barrel life on the 6.5 Creedmoor a few years ago, lots of guys posting very low round count. 2500-3000 (on the extreme high end, they say) seemed to be the magic number. A lot of those guys are also big 308 shooters, and I suppose they see the rising popularity and have to "guard" against their 308s going out of style... or something.

Even today on other forums you can see guys still arguing that it doesn't get any cheaper than a 308 to learn on.

I was at a match recently where a 260 went down on a guy at the 1800ish mark. Can a 6.5cm barrel die around 2500? Perhaps... but certainly not this barrel with this load.

Is my load too light? 41.0gr H4350 puts a 140VLD @2750fps out of this 26" barrel. I've proofed my firing solution out to 1650 yards multiple times. This is a lower node but it sure is stable. Doing a 20 round string without pressure signs sure is nice as well :D

Part of me kinda hopes it goes out in the next 200-300 rounds as I'm about out of my current lot of H4350, and the 3 8lb'ers of a new lot I got should take a new barrel to about 4,000rnds...or 2 barrels, because a 6.5cm magically turns into a shotgun after 2000 rounds.

• I don't know if 308 is cheaper or not...all I know is that the 185 bergers sure put a dent in my wallet. They do shoot really well though.

Part of the reason I went with 308 was because it is such a popular round I just couldn't see myself not having one. Part of the reason was barrel life. I like my 308 barrel...but it is probably the last 308 I will buy.

• @dddoo7 said:

I don't know if 308 is cheaper or not...all I know is that the 185 bergers sure put a dent in my wallet. They do shoot really well though.

Part of the reason I went with 308 was because it is such a popular round I just couldn't see myself not having one. Part of the reason was barrel life. I like my 308 barrel...but it is probably the last 308 I will buy.

I simply didn't want to go through the hassle of selling off all my .308 supplies to buy 6.5 or 6mm supplies. Plus I kinda like being a bit different.

• @dddoo7

I should clarify I wasn't talking down on anyone for having a 308 vs a 6.5CM. I'm just really tired of seeing low ball expected round counts and +200fps velocities. Maybe that's why my barrel is so far past what others say to expect? Because I'm not shooting super hot loads at 2900fps? Do I just have an amazing barrel that is out of the norm? Perhaps. We will revisit this next year when my new barrel is at this count.

• I would bet your load helps, some of the velocities guys post are crazy (to me) to me (with my 260) pushing the 140 class bullets around that 2700 FPS mark has been wonderful.

• @rhyno said:

I would bet your load helps, some of the velocities guys post are crazy (to me) to me (with my 260) pushing the 140 class bullets around that 2700 FPS mark has been wonderful.

If by "crazy" you mean "stupid," then yes... :)

• @dddoo7 with the DT platform always nice to have a .308 barrel around.

• @brittel

I didn't at all take it that way. I agree with you completely that 308 is an outdated round for which there are much better replacements. I should have let greg talk me into a 6.5 cm when I bought this barrel.

The more I am around Greg the more I have found that if I just listen to his advice when it comes to guns I will be better off in the long run.

• @tpk936 said:

@dddoo7 with the DT platform always nice to have a .308 barrel around.

Yeah...and that was another thought. I am not "married" to a barrel with the DT as one would be with a conventional custom rifle. I can always just buy another barrel.

• @dddoo7 said:

I should have let greg talk me into a 6.5 cm when I bought this barrel.

I did try. ... I really did. lol

• I would think too that barrel life depends on rate of fire as well. I wouldn't expect a barrel to last as long shooting F class as it would shooting something like PRS. I'm on my second 6.5x47 barrel, the first one went out on me at 700 ish rounds. The first also had some major chamber issues due to a crooked smith in my area. I would think the creedmoor and the Lapua would be pretty close in barrel life.

• @bull81 said:

I would think too that barrel life depends on rate of fire as well. I wouldn't expect a barrel to last as long shooting F class as it would shooting something like PRS. I'm on my second 6.5x47 barrel, the first one went out on me at 700 ish rounds. The first also had some major chamber issues due to a crooked smith in my area. I would think the creedmoor and the Lapua would be pretty close in barrel life.

I have gotten this one plenty hot a few times. Get carried away at a spinner and realize I just went through 2x 10rnd magazines. I typically do 10-15 rounds and let it cool for a little bit, and then shoot again.

• @orkan I didn’t think stupid was strong enough a word. Lol

• @brittel yea, I usually run a 10 round mag through my rifle then walk up and do a magazine or two of pistol shooting.

• Ive been running 20 round dot drills non stop. Barrel is warm...but not crazy hot. You don’t want to lick the suppressor though. It is quite hot.

• I know after a 20 round string mine is pretty hot, you don't want to hold it. I have no idea at what point it would cause problems. I'm no expert I just figure it would be harder on the barrel than a slower rate of fire. Your right about the suppressor, you can't even hold onto the cover after 20 rounds