Surgeon 591 Switch Barrel

• A recent build that went to Texas for a gentleman to shoot local and national PRS style competition with. We did a 22" 6.5x47 Lapua barrel for his main practice barrel and hunting barrel; as well as a 26" 6x47 Lapua barrel for his main competition barrel.

Spec's are as follows:
    Surgeon 591 receiver
    Bartlein MTU contour barrels - both 8 twist
    Manners T4A w/ Mini Chassis
    Jewell HVR Trigger

4eb3c176-9be4-46f6-923c-b8a91713a68c_zpsjor81111.jpg
    IMG_20160127_142310796_zpsnen9pzpw.jpg
    IMG_20160127_142336687_zpsrqf4isns.jpg

• Beautiful.. beautiful rifle. I love the MTU contour.

• Nice looking rifle.

What bottom metal is that? It doesn't look like a surgeon.

• @dddoo7 It is the Mini-Chassis from Manners. Essentially it's a v-block for the barreled action to rest in up top and Badger M5 bottom metal integral to that sticking out the bottom of the stock.

• Ok. Yeah I saw the mini chassis...it just didn't connect.

Again...it looks great!

• So my ignorance is going to show, but what makes it a switch barrel? Do you simply just time both barrels to the receiver so the owner can un-thread and thread them on himself?

Beautiful rifle sir.

• The Surgeon 591 as well as other actions with integral recoil lug can allow relatively easy swap of barrels. While it's not as simple as a Desert Tech, it can still be done with relative ease if a guy has a barrel vise and action wrench. Travis headspaces and installs both barrels, and the customer can change between them with relative simplicity, and as long as the same torque values are used, you can have pretty repeatable results.

• Okay thats along that lines of what I was thinking, thanks Greg.

• @orkan said:

The Surgeon 591 as well as other actions with integral recoil lug can allow relatively easy swap of barrels. While it's not as simple as a Desert Tech, it can still be done with relative ease if a guy has a barrel vise and action wrench. Travis headspaces and installs both barrels, and the customer can change between them with relative simplicity, and as long as the same torque values are used, you can have pretty repeatable results.

That seems like a much better route than the Sabage style barrel nut.

• @mamalukino said:

@orkan said:

The Surgeon 591 as well as other actions with integral recoil lug can allow relatively easy swap of barrels. While it's not as simple as a Desert Tech, it can still be done with relative ease if a guy has a barrel vise and action wrench. Travis headspaces and installs both barrels, and the customer can change between them with relative simplicity, and as long as the same torque values are used, you can have pretty repeatable results.

That seems like a much better route than the Sabage style barrel nut.

In my opinion, it is very much better than the barrel nut types.

• @orkan So, now I will need to talk to Travis........:neutral_face:

• @mamalukino said:

@orkan So, now I will need to talk to Travis........:neutral_face:

I better call @tscustoms and warn him! ;)

Yes definitely give Travis a call and he'll be happy to talk out the options with you. As you can see, he's got plenty of experience with this type of thing. It isn't new, and guys have been doing switch barrel rigs for a long time now.

The kind of action wrench a guy needs is dependent upon the kind of action you get, to some degree. Then a barrel vise such as this one here will probably work fine for light duty work. I have this one and it's a tank. Nothing I can't crack loose!

A little bit of good anti-seize is nice to have around too. I like the copper based stuff, but any quality anti-seize is likely to work. A little goes a long way. With TS Custom's tenons, they are nice and tight so it isn't like you need much.

Typical torque needed is going to vary a bit dependent upon action too, but most of the time 55-85ft/lbs will do the trick. Any standard ft/lb torque bar from an automotive store will handle that just fine.

• @mamalukino hmm weren't you looking at a barrel nut on a howa? That has a integral recoil lug, I would think it could be done on a Howa.

• As a point of clarity, you can do switch-barrel setups with actions that do not have integral recoil lugs as well, it just gets a little more complicated. You need something like this to keep the recoil lug aligned when you are torquing the barrel back down. There are also two mating surfaces to tend to, on the front and back of the recoil lug rather than just the front of the action on the integral.

• @rhyno @orkan

I dropped the idea of the barrel nut in favor of this route.
    The integral recoil lug is one of many reasons I prefer the Howa action to others.
    It has a few refinements that would be considered upgrades on some of the non custom actions out there.

• Black on black on black. I like it. Well done Travis

How much does something like that weigh?
    I know a MTU is like 7 pounds at 26 inches and I know those mini chassis aren't light...
    Seems like a lot of gun to compete with, and way way too much to hunt with unless its from a blind or on stand. I wouldn't want to try an offhand shot.

But hey, shooter preference. And again, nice work.

I was kicking a similar idea around, but with different barreled actions on a mini chassis. Practice and fool around with a .308, then switch to 6.5 or whatever if I ever needed to go way long.

• @ragnarnar I really couldn't say for sure. I'd guess around 12#, no optic.

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.