TPK936 RRT

• Great idea @orkan id definitely be in on that

• I just can't give up on this so I measured run out on the alpha 6 creed brass I just received. I had 4 pieces out of 100 at .0020 the rest where less then.0010 . I then took a few pieces and ran them through the whidden 22 creed sizer die 5 times back and forth. This process yielded me run out at the neck in the .0010 to .0015 on the pieces I tried this process on. I then loaded 80gr smk seating a little bit then turning, seating a little more, then turning till seated at proper depth. I then measured run out at the tip of bullet and it ranged from .0020 to .0045. I separated those into 3 categories with 3 at .0020, 3 at .0025 to .0030 and 3 over .0030 to .0045. I plan on shooting these Friday and am interested to see what the results are.

• Those are pretty good results, which would suggest it's not entirely the die.

I had a good talk with John Whidden today. The real answer to our problem gents, is quantity. If we could get orders of 10 dies or so together, and a bit of lead time... we can have some real good concentric dies for whatever we want. I wasn't surprised by anything on the call. John was professional and courteous, just as suspected, and the technical problems and limitations were unsurprising as well. We're going to get together on this a bit into the future here and see what we can put together.

• @orkan Keep us posted. Derrick at Horizon firearms has 20 sets of dies coming in from whidden for 22 Creedmoor. He stated that 16 are spoken for already. I think I am going to purchase a set (FL Sizer & Seater) this could test the theory above of a bulk run.

• Make sure those die sets are built using a REAMER and not single point cut like the majority of whiddens dies.

• @orkan Will do. A quick question , When necking down with the die and running the piece of brass through it multiple times it seems to eliminate .0015 to .0020 of run out. One pass avg around .0030 of run out. My question is should you have to do this? By running it through multiple times why is it decreasing run out?

• @orkan said:

Those are pretty good results, which would suggest it's not entirely the die.

I had a good talk with John Whidden today. The real answer to our problem gents, is quantity. If we could get orders of 10 dies or so together, and a bit of lead time... we can have some real good concentric dies for whatever we want. I wasn't surprised by anything on the call. John was professional and courteous, just as suspected, and the technical problems and limitations were unsurprising as well. We're going to get together on this a bit into the future here and see what we can put together.

Greg this would require all the rifles to be made by the same smith, with the same reamer, preferably one after another wouldn’t it?

• @orkan reply from Horizon: They are cut using a carbide reamer made from our prints by PTG.

• @tpk936 Are you using adequate lubrication inside and out of the case neck?

@rhyno said:

Greg this would require all the rifles to be made by the same smith, with the same reamer, preferably one after another wouldn’t it?

For the absolute best fit, sure... but as long as the spec of the reamers were close... it should suffice.

Another way to do this is to buy your own reamer, resize reamer, and gauge... and send them to whidden to have a set created. I'm thinking I might go down that path for my next barrel.

• Made it to the range today and shot a lot of 22lr. Some 22cm and a few 6.5 cm.
    O3oKBMU.jpg
    E82R55c.jpg
    Shot with the 40X repeater.
    9yyq9hA.jpg
    YNAhxVn.jpg
    22cm with all different combos. I did neck down some Alpha 6cm srp brass to try. I loaded with same load as peterson 6cm srp brass. All I know is took 1 shot and had all sorts of pressure. Will reduce load and try again. Also shot some necked down 6.5 lapua srp.
    KDGxuVg.jpg
    6.5 creed at 200 yards. Cold bore clean barrel. It took about 7 shots to settle in, but once it did was a very nice cluster.

• Was able to get to the range today and test out my new method of sizing the brass. It was in the low 50's with wind blowing 10 - 22 wnw.
    EEYcwmd.jpg
    This target has some 6 br groups at 100. The last 5 all the way to the right where focused honest shots. Then I took the suppressor off the 22 creed and fired nine shots with lapua srp 6.5 brass necked down to 22 creed. This has promise.
    aQ1y1rE.jpg
    The Alpha 6 creed srp brass necked down still has to much pressure at 40 gr. Will anneal, size, and clean this brass and go to 39.5. The copper creek brass did pretty good. The 82gr bergers shot well. The 80.5 last group also did well.
    gP1Z8kT.jpg
    This is the perterson 6creed srp brass with 80.5 and 82 grain bergers. The 82 grain bergers did very nicely and the second group of 80.5 is as good as I can do.
    The 22 creed barrel has 1124 rounds through it. It still seems to be shooting good. I will load up some more in all the different brasses again. I am out of sierra 80grain bullets but do have 80.5 and 82gr bergers. I have given up on 80gr vld. I have an unopened box of 100 and 40 left in an open box if anyone needs let me know.

• I just bought 2K of the 80’s. I hope they shoot well in my barrel. Lol. Guess we will see.

• @dddoo7 I think I sent you a picture of a 5rnd group that measured in the .1's when I was testing with it last week. If not, I just told you about it on skype that day. I've been shooting 80gr bergers through it with alpha brass and it's definitely capable.

If it EVER stops being winter, I'll lay down and put a few serious groups on paper for show and tell. ;)

• @orkan

That is true!

• @dddoo7 If Greg has it working should be no problem. Your load development is done just follow the recipe. I am sure it is worth it to have a load developed for a wild cat before you receive the gun. With Greg's expertise it is a no brainier and will save hours of time. I will look to go that route in the future.

• @tpk936

Yeah, that wasn’t even load dev. Just the first 10 shots or so to get me some fired brass so I can order dies. I had just forgotten about it.

Brass however is the wildcard that has me the most nervous...but it will work one way or another.

• I was able to do some shooting today. 3 weeks between range trips is way to long. I now have 1186 rounds on my 22 creedmoor. The temp was 52 wind 7-18 wnw. A lot of mirage today.
    kYe532G.jpg
    h9ZsKQr.jpg
    some 22 lr at 50 yards. Wind did present a lot of challenge.
    l4PIGYZ.jpg
    The 14 twist 6br continues to deliver.
    9Ep5nPE.jpg
    22 creed with peterson 6 creed srp brass and 82gr bergers and 80.5gr bergers
    HbJnSWs.jpg
    22 creed with alpha 22 creed brass. 82 and 80.5 gr bergers
    rBspMJD.jpg
    22 creed with lapua 6.5 srp brass.
    It was good to get to the range.

• Range day today. The weather was 72 degrees when I got there and in 30 minutes the temp dropped to 55 rain and wind blowing 8-25 S. Good thing I had a sweatshirt in truck. I continue to throw rounds down the 22 creedmoor. The barrel now has 1234 rounds.
    9Jfc4YR.jpg
    I now have 6 reloads on the alpha 22 creed brass. The 80.5 and 82 bergers are doing much better for me. The 3 at the bottom of the paper where first three shots then I adjusted scope.
    0fKAo17.jpg
    This is the third reload on Peterson 6 creed srp brass.
    I8xA0uu.jpg
    Here is three shots with 8 twist 6br with 107 smk.
    7iffaS6.jpg
    Here is 10 shots with 107 smk at 200 yards. The 2 at the bottom of the paper are because I dialed the wrong way.
    P81Dq9Y.jpg
    Here are 7 at 200 with 105 barts.
    I struggled with the wind.
    Greg I plan on loading another 150 rounds for the 22 creed, will see how many more can put through it till new barrel.

• Was able to make it to range for some shooting today. Light rain with a swirling wind.
    2Z6fcQm.jpg
    150 shots with 40X at 100 yards with Geco ammo
    HDxEdLX.jpg
    It has been quite some time since I shot the the DT with 6.5 creed barrel. I pulled out 22 creed barrel and re-zeroed.
    nWRbsuE.jpg
    10 with DT 6.5 at 100
    WbWQ0ZM.jpg
    3 with DT at 200
    gIZT3a9.jpg
    Been a while since shot some prone, through 5 in at the end when everyone left with DT 6.5.
    ttVjhnn.jpg
    Some 22 creed at 100 yards. This is the last rounds I had loaded with old dies. I bought a new set of 22 creed dies that where made by whidden from a reamer. Will size and load some up to see if there is a difference. The 22 creed now has 1271 rounds . Also a 5 shot group with DT 6.5. Should have quit at 3.
    G8fBSE8.jpg
    5 shots with 22 creed at 400. First 2 a little high and left. I think this is the second time I shot the 22 creed at distance.

• The weather was awful today rain, sometimes heavy and temp in the low 50's. I missed last week and may not be able to shoot next week so had to do it. The 22 creed now has 1312 rounds down the pipe. I used my new sizer and seater 22creed dies. The alpha brass is on 7 reload and the Peterson is on #3 reload.
    DrkCNjQ.jpg
    100 yards 22 creed. The Peterson srp brass with 82gr bergers is working nicely. The Alpha bras with 80.5 not bad the last 5 bottom right was pretty good focus.
    XeCnMNp.jpg
    This is 22 creed at 200 yards. 8 shots, 3 where 82 gr bergers and 5 80.5 bergers.
    Q6ZsD2A.jpg
    Put 10 down the DT 6.5 barrel before switching to the 22 creed barrel. They have a 1 mil difference at 100. I just could not make 5 honest shots. Poor focus.
    7RY7rQa.jpg
    Took 5 shots with factory Hornady 6 creed ammo. 108 eld out of Bob Harts 6 creed. He lent it to me to play around with. I am going to develop a load for it using 107 smk but the factory stuff did pretty good.

Even though the weather sucked it was good to get out and shoot. I did struggle with trying to make honest shots each time I pulled the trigger.
    Need more practice.

• Made it to the range yesterday. It was another crappy day. Rain, rain and rain with wind ENE 10 to 17mph. I did not have some targets make it.
    Qmo20dz.jpg
    I finally finished cleaning my .308 suppressor and broke out the .308. I have not shot it since December of 17. The ammo worked fine. 3 with 168smk and 5 with 175smk.
    LFDcBWR.jpg
    5 at 200 yards with 168smk. last 3 shots where good.
    3qd9rkH.jpg
    12 shots with .308 at 400 yards with 168smk.
    SYeIMeE.jpg
    8 shots with 22 creed using alpha 6 creed srp brass. 39.5gr of H4350 with 80.5 bergers. I now have 1345 down the tube and it continues to shoot. The single shot below was one shot at the dot with .308 175smk.

• It was a challenging day at the range. On and off light rain but the wind was blowing east at 13-30 mph. Needless to say very challenging.
    nGDp7Tt.jpg
    22 creed at 200 yards. This is 25 shots. The 22 creed has 1414 rounds down the pipe. It likes the 80.5 and 82 gr bergers.
    z9Pw5Yi.jpg
    doing some 6 creed load work.
    ABY8aZV.jpg
    40X at 50 yards
    Blk4lq8.jpg
    40X dot drill at 50 yards. I am pretty happy considering the conditions. I still need a lot of work on making every shot an honest shot.
    Overall a pretty good day. A nice turkey came out at 200 yards. good thing season is over, it was hard not to zip with the 22 creed.

• It has been a while but made it to the range today. Kind of a crappy day on and off light showers / overcast and blowing 7-15 mph SE. I opened new bottle of Varget for my 6br so loaded a few to test. Opened a new bottle of IMR4064 for my .308 so loaded a few to test.
    T3orgA2.jpg
    The .308 is working, now need to load up the rest.
    zUkXVoC.jpg
    The 6br was working.
    t2GVvPB.jpg
    The 6br and the .308 at 200 yards. Why do I let one get away from me. At the top with the .308.
    pRf99gW.jpg
    5 shots with the 6br at 400. The first one was a little high adjusted and shot 4 more. Did not adjust to the wind change on the last shot.
    dWJRUWs.jpg
    5 shots with 300wsm. The last 2 shots had firm bolt lift. Some thing was different with those two loads / shots.
    GP3cG7S.jpg
    Some 40x 22lr at 100 yards with Geco ammo.
    Always a good day when I can get to the range.

• I had to make it to the range today. I had 2 new barrels show up for my DT from Primal Rights. A new 22 Creed 7 twist and a 6 Creed in 7.75 twist. They arrived Friday. I only had time to load up 20 6 creed and 30 22 Creed.
    I also had some 300WSM load development waiting to be shot.
    kqWpHXN.jpg
    The 6 creed where all 5 shots. loaded some 105 Barts at .020. The 22 Creed was all 3 shot groups with 95smk at .020 and H4350 started low and worked up. Had to put a few through new barrels.Then had some 300wsm with IMR4350 at the bottom. 185 Bergers at 60.5 gr 4350and some 168smk at 62.3 gr 4350.
    jAhPXul.jpg
    f9Rk8Am.jpg
    hDyA4Sq.jpg
    The 168 are looking good. I only have about 30 Berger 185 left but I have a couple 1000 smk.
    yJ0E1xV.jpg
    40X 22lr. The second row down was all 5 shot groups that I focused on and made honest shots.
    BMrGR5e.jpg
    Dot drill with 22lr at 50 yards. Needs a lot of work. While shooting a groundhog came hustling across the range. I shot it and it rolled back but then hustled into woods. Tried to get pic but is was to deep in brush, but kill confirmed.

It was 82 degrees today with wind blowing 6 too 14 mph ENE. It was a beautiful day.

• Had a rare opportunity to get to the range this evening. I brought the DT with the 6 creed & 22 Creed barrels. Both barrels now have 40 rounds down the pipe and I am impressed with both. Thank You Primal Rights and Travis at TS Customs. Also brought 300wsm.
    u6VaRrw.jpg
    22 creed 30 inch 7 twist barrel.
    XsS5VPy.jpg
    39.6gr H4350 and 95smk at .020 off lands. Alpha 22 creed brass. 1 low clean barrel cold bore next 4 nice cluster. 39.6 is the limit as 39.8 blew a primer.
    eWBmnMO.jpg
    6 creed 40.8 H4350, Barts 105 infinity bullets .020 off lands, fed 205 primer, Alpha brass. 1st shot clean cold bore low next 4 nice group.
    DcKjNV9.jpg
    Confirmed the 300wsm load with 185 bergers, and 168 smk.
    AD8zAaT.jpg
    9Pidl78.jpg

I am liking these new DT barrels.

• @tpk936 said in TPK936 RRT:

Thank You Primal Rights and Travis at TS Customs.

Happy to be of service!

• Looking good @tpk936, glad to help!

• Finally had a chance to do some shooting and I took advantage of the time. It was a beautiful day.
    hFwINVS.jpg
    yifjePD.jpg
    Did some 6 br shooting. I really like this cartridge.
    nXfzi8h.jpg
    d3rMC4I.jpg
    shot a bunch of 22. this is just 2 of the targets.
    10Y8oXg.jpg
    gVTTyOg.jpg
    VcV0wya.jpg
    Worked on dialing in the 22 creed with 95smk bullets. The 36.6gr H4350 seated .015 looks good will load some more to confirm and chrono.
    X1ESwbh.jpg
    UMrIJjJ.jpg
    r2AJywA.jpg
    bqmElbe.jpg
    Then swap the 6 creed barrel in and did some work. The 107smk at 40.4 to 40.6 look good will load some 40.4 and 40.5 to see. The 105 Barts needs some more work. 40.4 is close but need to play with seating depth. I sprayed the high one.
    I am liking the DT more and more. I must say those new barrels are awesome. Thanks Greg and Travis

• Some time range trips are fun and sometimes filled with BS from other shooters. Today had a guy next to me with his 4 buddies borrowing tools and every thing else to get his 6.5x284 zeroed. Piece of junk scope took him an hour to hit paper at 50yrds. I offered to help but he was a genius. When he told me he was going to shoot 2000 yards and he knew everything I just took my tools back and said good luck with that.
    lg6V7Dw.jpg
    300wsm Bench gun. Just fouling the barrel after cleaning.
    NJ2jBgF.jpg
    Some 6 creed with 107smk and 105Barts. This DT barrel is liking the 107. Some 22 creed with 82gr bergers and 95gr smk.
    XcSm9VK.jpg
    Maybe I should stick to the 107smk and leave the 105 in the box. The 105 are finicky with seating depth.
    KkjVa6G.jpg
    8 twist 6br with 107smk this was 15 shots at 200yrds. Shot 2 strings and the wind did lie down on second string. I always seem to let 1 slip away.

• @tpk936
    For some reason I can’t see any of your pictures on any of your post.

• Working fine for me.

• @orkan
    I can see all your pictures as well as everyone else’s, but for some reason none of his show up

• It has been a while since I shot. Was able to do some today. Took the DT with 22 creed, 6 creed, and 6.5 creed barrels. The 40X 22lr and a 300 wsm.
    G5ZnM6H.jpg
    Did attempt a dot drill with the 40X. Shot 150 22lr rounds.
    ae5rAoS.jpg
    I shot some 22 creed using necked down Peterson 6 creed srp brass. I did not get any pressure signs like I have been with the Alpha 22 creed brass. 36.8gr H4350 with 95smk made a nice whole. The 90grsmk did pretty good with 37gr H4350. I have Lapua 6 creed srp brass on order. The 6 creed did nicely with Peterson brass also.
    kgrTrRd.jpg
    I had some 185 bergers laying around so I loaded up what I had left and shot them at 200 yards. I just held my aim point and did not correct till the last shot.
    haoxfh4.jpg
    I put the 6.5 barrel in after the 22 creed and took 10 shots at 200 yards. It took me 3 to get adjusted but the last 7 worked nicely.
    All in all a good day at the range. This was the first time I took all 3 DT barrels to the range. It is very impressive how you can switch the barrels and they all shoot. I could have saved thousands if I would have jumped on this platform earlier.

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.