dddoo7's RRT

• Excellent run down @dddoo7

As I always tell people; cleaning 22lr's isn't necessary... unless it is. ;)

• 40x at 50. Slight cold bore...but not quite as bad as it has been.

VoQIDWf.jpg

• Cold bore better today.

Can0PPC.jpg

• @dddoo7 Nicely Done!

• 40x was showing about 3/4” cold bore yesterday. This morning it was about the same.

This is tonights group...including cold bore.

rHieGHo.jpg

• 40x at 50

XYmN3dx.jpg

• Still working on cold bore yesterday and today. Tried without suppressor a few times today to no avail. Good groups except for first round. Wind accounts for side to side on a few of these.

WiW9slv.jpg

XTcB786.jpg

JONdiJ7.jpg

HDd3TtQ.jpg

And one group shot without a cold bore shot.

U0r3tbB.jpg

And a group from my 308 too.
    ykHsYZg.jpg

• HAndgun yesterday. 40x today.

62 yards. 5-20mph wind. Wind doesn’t do much for my groups.

L6cf1Xy.jpg

• But it’s great oppurtunity to learn.

• 40x at 62 yards. The extra 12 y makes a difference.

6IwR27I.jpg

• Adjusted torque one more time. Cold bore in there too...so if it repeats it is better.

RrHROuS.jpg

• Been shooting every day, but nothing precision til today.

.22 40x at 50.

Top row were sitting by the fire place. Starting out about 85 deg. Second row were about 24 deg. Cause they had been sitting outside.

UrGBTT4.jpg

• 40x at 50y.

Wind is a good 20mph today along with 20 deg high made for interesting shooting conditions. The flier in the third group was not me. Could have been wind or cold.

I also shot a blackbird at about 75y.

oqoRCIq.jpg

• Ugly groups tonight. Try again tomorrow. Hitting high and stringing.

40x at 50

BSUOa2C.jpg

• 308 at 100. Adjusting zero for new load.

ZsxXeX5.jpg

• 40x at 50y.

First three groups are horrific. Subfreezing weather is not nice to rimfire. Fourth group (5 shots) is probably the best one I have ever shot and I can’t explain the difference.

HqSrnjJ.jpg

IomKWao.jpg

• @dddoo7 was it cold enough for the nice mirage to show up too while shooting? Hats off to you for shooting in the cold.

• @gash

Yes. I was getting mirage after the first group due to suppressor heat. I was outside shooting tonight. I get almost unmanageable mirrage when shooting out the window when it is this cold. Although our cold is nothing like your cold. It is 26 tonight.

• @dddoo7 we’re 21 today night, not too far apart. Mirage is mirage though....tough to deal with on top of .22lr ammo’s hatred of the cold.

You did great considering the circumstances.

• 40x at 50y. 46 deg tonight. FIrst round low...then four. Adjusted .2 mil down for warmer temps. Shot second group.

Rm9iERJ.png

• Seems like it won’t quit raining here. It rained yesterday. Rained this morning early. Rained tonight. And rain scheduled for next couple of days.

40x at 50 From kitchen table while it was raining.

SLu6xnz.jpg

• 40x at 50...still raining.

PvNa4AY.jpg

• 40x at 48 yards (just shy of my 50 yard target stand)

BTW-- I was complaining about the rain...it is gone now.

First cold bore shot...three kills.

uwIuDA1.jpg

• man... why can't a few of those be around when I'm plinking...

• It has been a while here. The snow apparently brought them out.

Just shot another one at 110y according to the rangefinder!

• 40x. 96 yards.

CjEku9m.jpg

• @dddoo7 very nice! Y'all have more snow than we do. How long does snow stick around down there?

• @gash

It is normally gone by noon. This one however could be here for a few days. It is supposed to be 7 tonight...but it is also supposed to be 44 high monday.

• Well. Actually forgot to shoot yesterday. First day since July.

Today...40x again. Cold windy. Miserable.

jIVLtCw.jpg

• 40x at 50. Calm today.

6yADzy9.jpg

• @dddoo7 thanks for the 'reminder'. I've been meaning to shoot when it's been nice out, but as the day progresses I forget. It's suppose to be near 50 for the next few days. I just set a couple reminders in my phone to get out and shoot my Annie.

• @gash

Looks like it is gonna be warmer up there than here. Lol.

• @dddoo7 that's crazy!

• 40x at 50

2Rf9xqz.jpg

• 40x at 50

JxdVzpt.jpg

• I've been shooting just about every day but not with powder and bullets. Mostly 15 gauge nails and staples of various sizes with pneumatic guns. Hitting everything I aim at luckily except when a nail follows the grain and makes a mess. I did throw down on some European Starlings a few days ago with my .22, got three in a row before they new something was wrong. I'm ready to finish this job and do something else, at least it's inside work. We are stuck in a rainy foggy spell down here. Always happens this time of year after a cold spell with the sea fog.

• @bigfoot said:

I've been shooting just about every day but not with powder and bullets. Mostly 15 gauge nails and staples of various sizes with pneumatic guns. Hitting everything I aim at luckily except when a nail follows the grain and makes a mess. I did throw down on some European Starlings a few days ago with my .22, got three in a row before they new something was wrong. I'm ready to finish this job and do something else, at least it's inside work. We are stuck in a rainy foggy spell down here. Always happens this time of year after a cold spell with the sea fog.

I have run tens of thousands of nails through my nail guns...but it sure ain’t a daily Thing. There is a sense of satisfaction with working construction...but I’d rather be shooting.

• 40x.

Been shooting starlings the last couple of days. Target today.

brykDaM.jpg

• Do you laminate your targets? Some of your recent post have been in the rain and looks like water is beaded up one them.

• I don't laminate all of them...but I have started laminating some of them. It lets me leave them out for multiple days and they are still in good shape. Laminating sheets are like 12 cents each...so it is cheap to do that.

• I went 5-5 on birds today. All were at about 45-60 yards.

• @dddoo7
    I go to war with Starlings when the Purple Martins show up here. I have three Martin houses that are about thirty yards or so from cover I can shoot from but the darn things get wise to me and one sounds the alarm when they see me. I don't live in the city limits but I do have neighbors close enough for a high velocity 22 rimfire to reach shooting elevated so I stick with the CCI Quiets. They chronograph around 650 fps out of my garden rifle suppressed. The segmented version usually puts them down and if I miss the projectiles don't make it too far. Most of the time I hit my bird houses if I miss so they have a few dents in them. An English Sparrow is hard to hit when it's head is poking out of a little hole but I have done it but then I have to lower the house and get it out. That reminds me I need to get my Wildcat out of the safe and sight it back in for thirty yards with Quiets. Been shooting Standard velocity at targets, something to do that's not work.

• @bigfoot

I am outside the city limits here as well...but have neighbors. About 6 months ago I broke the silence here. I started shooting 308 suppressed and then 9mm unsuppressed...and once in a while 308 unsuppressed. As of today about 75 percent of my neighbors shoot on a weekly basis in their back yards. The rest don’t bat an eye because it is an almost daily thing. It is wonderful that people are no longer scared of gunfire!

• @dddoo7
    I sure would like to shoot skeet behind my house but my neighbor on that side raises sprint horses and has all the either pregnant mares there or those that just dropped babies at his stables. It's about 500' to the fence and I don't think skeet loads would rain on the horses but the noise might spook them. People shoot all around us daily. During dove season it's really on. About a quarter mile east from my place a guy has two earth berms and bangs steel at four hundred yards behind his house. He has a pistol range in front of the short one and does LTC classes so it's pretty active. He was a tower guard at the nuclear generating station here and did a lot of practicing. He has neighbors directly on each side and they aren't bothered a bit, at least one has directly told me so. They figured if someone saw the range there it would be pretty likely there's an armed person close so it's not a good place to snoop around. I used to shoot at a friends private range about five minutes from my house but some punks messed that up. Apparently they thought if you got an invite once it was for life and they went out unannounced one day and shot his ducks that were in his pond next to his house. I always texted him my time going in and out of the range but the last time he answered back the gates are locked forever and told me what happened. If he's home he lets me in but I don't bother him about it. I think he has a 600 yard berm and has markers every 100 and a nice covered pistol range also. It was sure handy to go shoot a new load right close but one bad apple is all it takes. He's a class III dealer also which makes it interesting, never know what he's playing with.

• @bigfoot said:

@dddoo7
    I go to war with Starlings when the Purple Martins show up here. I have three Martin houses that are about thirty yards or so from cover I can shoot from but the darn things get wise to me and one sounds the alarm when they see me. I don't live in the city limits but I do have neighbors close enough for a high velocity 22 rimfire to reach shooting elevated so I stick with the CCI Quiets. They chronograph around 650 fps out of my garden rifle suppressed. The segmented version usually puts them down and if I miss the projectiles don't make it too far. Most of the time I hit my bird houses if I miss so they have a few dents in them. An English Sparrow is hard to hit when it's head is poking out of a little hole but I have done it but then I have to lower the house and get it out. That reminds me I need to get my Wildcat out of the safe and sight it back in for thirty yards with Quiets. Been shooting Standard velocity at targets, something to do that's not work.

Here's an idea for you. A super light weight .17cal projectile would likely be "safer" than slower heavier 22lr bullets in that situation. A 17HMR with 15gr bullets comes to mind. They lose steam fast and disintegrate if they hit anything.

• @orkan
    A 15 grain HMR hitting a Starling at close range would be dramatic, and satisfying. I have one bird house in my garden that has a clean path downrange of it that doesn't worry me. I have been tempted to light one of those devils up with it I just always have the 22 in the shop. I'm curious to know at what range does that tiny pill run out of steam? I tried to kill a pig with one and all I did was piss it off. I finally ran it down with the Polaris and brained it with a 22 magnum. They claim if you send it down their ear canal it will do the trick but a running pig is hard to hit in the ear at dark.

• a 17 remington is VERY satisfying when shooting starlings. The "pop" when it hits is really cool!

• I ran a ballistic comparison on them once. The light weight bullets in the 17's really die off quick.

If you were looking for something exotic and time consuming, you could look at the sub-cal stuff. Very interesting!

http://shop.reedsammo.com/Sub-Caliber-Products-17-14-12-10-caliber_c84.htm

The .10 Eichelberger Squirrel looks fun.

http://www.saubier.com/smallcaliber/eichelbergerinterview.html

• I get a pretty good "pop" with the segmented Quiet loads and sometimes pieces of the bird will get plastered to my houses. Man a .10 would be like a flying needle, I could see my clumsy ass trying to get powder into a case. I briefly read over the article on the .10 and there might be the answer to a question I approached Hornady with concerning splitting necks with their 17HMR ammo in it. According to internet poop the first runs of brass were the wrong hardness and splits were common but I have had some split with newer loads. I had three HMR's so I don't think it was the firearm being every one did the same thing with their ammo. I sent pictures of split empties and pictures of split live rounds and the boxes and Hornady just said they were out of warranty and I should dispose of them. Same thing with Winchester gray box 22 mag except I never got an answer from Winchester. And that stuff was newer, I have nine boxes sitting on my shelf that will never be shot in any of my guns. I have lousy accuracy with my CZ 22
    mag with Winchester anyway so I switched to you guessed it, Hornady. Haven't shot any yet. On a side note I shot some just off the shelf Hornady .17HMR and no splits so maybe it was just bad luck.

• COld bore went low and right. Next 8 shots in the right dot. Five more in the left dot. 40x at 50y

fu2qaGS.jpg

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.