You shoot better unconscious

• leadoff_unconscious.jpg

http://www.primalrights.com/library/articles/you-shoot-better-unconscious

I consider myself extremely fortunate to be presented with people from all walks of life and experience levels during our Precision Rifle Fundamentals classes. We literally have had people from all over the globe come to our training. I consider this aspect of my experience with such a vast array of people to be the cause of some of the most valuable lessons I've learned regarding my advancement as a trainer. You simply can not perfect the art of teaching if you are doing it in a vacuum. Physicists, plumbers, doctors, mechanics, farmers, and countless other professions are present in these classes. All of them arrive with varying levels of competency behind a rifle, and all of them leave with a newfound understanding of themselves. Not just as it pertains to shooting, but the power they carry within. Today we are going to discuss the boundless power of the human mind and how it can help you become a better rifleman.

READ MORE

• Jedi Master Level information right there.

• Outstanding acticle. I will agree 100%. I spent four years living Ving Tsun kung fu with a teacher that embodied it and it is very much how you described. He does not teach anything like a typical dojo or school. For those who have never had that type of experience it's kinda like The Karate Kid movie. No I didn't paint his fence, but I did spent lots of time with his family and in his life doing everyday tasks just like we all do. Like help carry in the groceries, but how was I carrying it. Everything had purpose and meaning to kung fu to him.

Just one aspect on how the concept translates to shooting. We sit at our loading bench, but do with sit with good posture that is conductive to our health? That's a non obvious simple task that in a round about way also affects our shooting........back a little stiff today.

Positive changes in all aspects of our lives to affect the end goal can come from places we never thing to look, yet are right there.

Myself I'm still in the self doubting phase because I have not committed the details of my fundamentals to subconsciousness yet. Due to my life circumstances, got kids to put through school so my journy to shooting nirvana takes the backroad. Can be more colorful, but dam frustrating when the compass gets out of wack. Then again the backroad journy did land me here on this forum. 😎

• I have had fleeting moments like Greg describes when shooting.
    Tasting it leaves that desire to have it again.

I had them playing baseball and football as a youth.

Slow motion all autopilot perfection.
    I still remember my last home run hit over right center when I was playing Legion Ball at age 19.

Getting into the zone behind a rifle takes just as much practice as all of those years of hitting balls.
    I has to be more focused though.

Making time is the biggest obstacle for me.
    Got 100 rounds of slow fire pistol today.

• This is a very well written article and I believe it to be true to the core. It is something that will come with time and I see getting easier everytime I get behind a rifle. There are fewer fundamentals that I have to think about now than I did when I got home in May...but I am still plagued with the "did I do that right" feeling sometimes as I am shooting.

Last night I shot a five shot group quickly. Each shot broke at the proper time in breathing...but the fact that I know that says it wasn't subconscience. This group (minus one shot) was an extremely tight group that I would have trouble repeating regardless of time. I do believe when I force myself to shoot quickly I think less and do better. I'm gonna try a dot drill soon that way and see how it goes.

Thanks for the thoughts and shared experience!

• Another excellent article. I remember your coffee cup comment you made to me a few months ago about shooting. This really went into depth explaining that thought process.

As I was reading through it, I was just recalling some of my past range sessions, thinking real hard on my trigger finger pull, the rear bag, not closing my eye during the shot. Lots of that stuff. Now I feel I have some practice ahead of me.

• So...I've been thinking about this some more.

I used to play ping pong...and at one point I got fairly decent. Usually when I started out ahead in a game I would win. I could play the same guy and start out a couple points behind and would usually lose. The difference was I started trying to calculate every hit on every volley and would start missing. When I didn't think about it I could hit the ball with full force and almost always make it hit the opposing table within 3" of the edge of the table after clearing the net by only about 1/2".

Now...when i haven't played for a while I still have the muscle memory...but can't hit with the same accuracy. I usually play with my mentor...who I at one time
    Could beat every game and he is pretty good. When I go back to play him now after going months without playing it takes me about 10 games to get to where I can beat him again. We have seen this several times.

10 games to 21. 21 volleys. Plus I usually get 12-15...so we will say 32 volleys. About 3 hits each per volley average. That is 100 hits (not counting any warmup we do) just to get my mind back to hitting the ball for me.

I am thinking that 5-10 shots a day will never get me to the point that my mind will take over. I am thinking that 50 shots once a month would be even more difficult. This is going to take 100 plus honest shots a day to really get anywhere with it...and then still a few each day to maintain it after it is turned over to subconscience.

Folks....I'm gonna have to buy some more components and center x.

• Outstanding observation @dddoo7. At the peak of my training I was burning a thousand rounds a week. That went on for months. If I'd have known what I know now, I think I could have shot significantly less and had more value... but that's how I learned.

You're in a unique position as you get to learn from my experience as well as your own. This should save round count, now that you know how to actually make an honest shot. I probably burned 10,000rnds just developing the technique required to make an honest shot. You already know that, so you can jump ahead to working on the specific aspects of the firing position which are giving you trouble.

• I've had that thought already as well, unfortunately at this time I cannot afford to shoot that much, plus shooting that much at the distances I can shoot at easily isn't very fun.

It's why I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't get a 223. The recoil won't be as much as others to proof my position. But it'll be cheaper and more challenging.

The downside is with the small amount of powder it uses, I question whether I would be able to load it accurately enough with my current set up. I simply don't trust my chargemaster anymore after the last few loading sessions.

• @rhyno

The illusion of progress vs actual progress. How much will it cost you to get setup properly with a .223?

You aren't talking about saving money. You're talking about spending money. I'm all for people getting rifles they want but your objectives you speak about in your post are diametrically opposed. How much powder, primers, brass, and bullets could you buy for your current rifle for the cost of getting setup with a new .223? You can afford to shoot as much as you want. You simply have to choose to do what is necessary to achieve it.

Regarding distance and "fun." Sure, long range is fun. However, working on fundamentals doesn't happen at long range. It happens at 100yds and closer. If that isn't "fun" then you need to mentally re-evaluate your goals. I spend the majority of my time at 100 and 300yds, but at least once a week I go out at distance beyond 1000yds.

• @orkan said:

Regarding distance and "fun." Sure, long range is fun. However, working on fundamentals doesn't happen at long range. It happens at 100yds and closer.

100% true!

99.99% of my shooting has been done at 50 yards or closer and with one of my rimfires. I very rarely go beyond that and the times that I do, the skills I've learned within 50 yards have proven to be invaluable and I have been able to successfully hit my targets at 100-300 yards. Just because I'm spending so much time in a close range, doesn't mean I haven't been having a crap ton of fun. Get proficient enough and shooting flies and other insects that land on your paper is a freaking challenge and freaking fun!

"A woman trying to function like a man is as ridiculous as a man trying to be like a woman. A unisex society is a senseless society—a society dangerously out of order. " - DP

• Heard some statistics today.

Our conscience mind can process 16 bits of information per second.

Our subconscience mind can process 11 million bits per second.

• Explains some things, doesn't it? ;)