Does you carry change when you're injured?

• So I've never thought about the scenario until earlier today after dislocating my shoulder.

I didn't even think about it right away, but eventually I thought, "Wait a minute can I draw my weapon at the moment?" I tried and the answer was, maybe.

Luckily it should be a fairly short term injury but I have no backup plan.

So I am curious has anyone ever thought about it? And what are your plans? (If you care to share)

I currently carry a M&P9c so I can flip it over to left hand if I need it, but I have been recently thinking of grabbing a Springfield XDS because the 9c gets a little heavy when I'm at work in a corn field drenched in water and the XDS would be a little lighter and slimmer for when I'm working on stuff and less likely to get hung up.

• My right arm was in a cast about 10 years ago for about 3 months. I bought a left handed holster and carried left handed. Not ideal without gobs of training...but better than nothing.

• That's part of the reason I carry 4:30'ish. I can reach behind my back and pull left handed if necessary. :)

... that and I'm afraid of blowing my junk off if I appendix carry. Also, my belly wouldn't like laying on my pistol when I sit down. lol.

• @rhyno

I tore my right labrum in November and could only start carrying again at my 5. I got a left handed holster and carried at my 11. I usually carry a Colt Defender but for comfortablity I carried my XDS.

• @orkan

Yes this was a worry at first and keep thinking about A Christmas Story.

• @dddoo7 yea that thought occurred as well, I don't train shooting left handed, that will probably change.

@orkan I'll have to try carrying it further back, right now I'm about 3-3:30 don't think I can reach it left handed.

@jibnast thanks, do you like your XDS?

• @rhyno said:

I'll have to try carrying it further back, right now I'm about 3-3:30 don't think I can reach it left handed.

Oh wipe the tear from your eye big boy. When you're big enough to wrestle a bull, God says you sacrifice some flexibility. :satisfied:

Yeah, I like carrying mine a little to the rear. That way it seems to sit against my body better and not print so much.

Looks like your connection to Gunhive was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.