My fellow South Dakotans...

• I hereby claim this category for the great state of South Dakota!

I look forward to conversing with you all!

Mt._Rushmore_Early_Morning.jpg

• administrators

It is a great place to live. I moved here in 2008 and have not regretted the move.

I do, however, dislike the new license plates something fierce. They must have hired the same firm that designed the Iowa license plates. They look the exact same at first glance when they are on a vehicle.

SDStandardnew.png

ia2010-2.jpg

• I agree. The new plates are ugly as sin. Someone should be slapped.

• @irish

What made you choose South Dakota? I can retire anytime now but will probably wait a little while longer. I am currently living in New York and would love to move. Don't know if I ever will move but think about it a lot. I would imagine the weather in SD is damn cold? I have been talking with friends about moving to an area with moderate temperatures. Someone actually mentioned SD. They tried to tell me there is an area in SD that actually has moderate temperatures year round. You ever heard of such a thing? If so where? Well, take care Irish.

• administrators

I chose South Dakota for a couple of reasons. I came out to visit @orkan a couple of times and really liked it. The ability to own firearms and to get a carry permit was a huge plus for me. I don't understand how people can go through life without the ability to protect themselves and be OK with it.

Orkan was expanding his business and asked me if I wanted to move out here and work with him. I was in college at the time and was quickly realizing that it was a gigantic waste of time and money. After thinking about it for a few days I decided I was going to do it. Packed up my stuff and drove out here.

I am from Illinois and it is so vastly different out here. The drive to work used to take over an hour even though it was only 30 miles. There is less people, less traffic, no state income tax, housing is cheaper, low sales tax (4-6%), less crime, good hunting, and when you get out in the country it is really a nice feeling. It is quiet and no street lights or typical city noises. Just a very relaxing place to be.

The downsides of living in a state like South Dakota is the weather can be pretty extreme on both hot and cold. Lately the winters have not been that bad and there hasn't been much snow but there were years that the wind chill would get down to -40 those are the days where you just stay inside. It can get pretty hot in the summer 90-100+ but it isn't all that bad. It is constantly windy here. If there is no wind you best be doing something outside like shooting. It is around 5-20mph almost everyday.

Some people complain that there is nothing to do in a smaller city but I have never been one to want to have the "social nightlife" or whatever people like to do. It doesn't bother me that there really isn't any live entertainment around this city. If you really wanted that kind of thing visit Sioux Falls or Rapid City. I can't stand going to the bigger cities anymore. Just too many people too close together it is unnatural.

I am not sure of the town you are referring to with the weather that is nice year round but maybe someone on here knows. Good luck with finding where you are going to retire to and if you have any more SD questions post them up!

• If I were to guess at the "temperate" place, it would be the Black Hills. More of a "mountain" atmosphere there.

http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/weather

Meanwhile, anywhere not above 3000ft in this state is liable to freeze your nuts to the side of your leg every winter. We have some of the most extreme weather available in North America, but the black hills is a little clump of area which is relatively sheltered from that.

• Yup south Dakota isn't bad. I like going there, and also thought of moving there just a year ago.

• South Dakota...the most gorgeous place I've lived! Yes better than Montana even :)

Freaking love it here!

I too hate the new plates.

"A woman trying to function like a man is as ridiculous as a man trying to be like a woman. A unisex society is a senseless society—a society dangerously out of order. " - DP

• @jekyl said:

@irish

What made you choose South Dakota? I can retire anytime now but will probably wait a little while longer. I am currently living in New York and would love to move. Don't know if I ever will move but think about it a lot. I would imagine the weather in SD is damn cold? I have been talking with friends about moving to an area with moderate temperatures. Someone actually mentioned SD. They tried to tell me there is an area in SD that actually has moderate temperatures year round. You ever heard of such a thing? If so where? Well, take care Irish.

As Orkan said the black hills area would be what they are talking about, the largest city in that area being Rapid City, about 71,000 people, is our "banana belt" if you will. I lived there for about 2 1/2 years and it still gets cold from time to time, but not as bad. You'll get more snow than other parts of the state but it doesn't last long. I think the longest I saw snow on the ground was a couple weeks. It's not uncommon to get into the 40s mid winter.

I'm not a fan of bigger cities and stayed on campus most of my time there as I grew up near towns of 400-800 people.

• South Dakota is a great place to live. I Lived in Custer for 2.5 years for work and moved back to TN a little over 2 years ago mainly to be closer to family again. There is a lot I miss about SD especially the ability to drive 10 min outside of town climb on top of a ridge (I was in the black hills) and see for miles in all directions with no houses and only the road you drove in on showing civilization. In fact my cover photo is from one such place right on the WY border. I have already told my wife that if she dies before me I am liable to become a crotchety old man living in a shack back in the black hills.

• You better make yourself a lot of money in the mean time... because the black hills is being over-run by liberal cunts from places like california, illinois, and colorado, and it's driving the land and housing prices to levels of insanity previously unheard of in south dakota.

• no kidding. I had a friend there at the time who had bought a lot in town several years prior and it was cheaper for him to build a brand new house on that lot than to buy a 60 year old house that was half the size down the street. but if you get in the edge of the hills like the Buffalo Gap area it ain't quite so bad and there are fewer terrorist I mean tourists in the summer.

• although doing a quick zillow search I see it has gone up a decent amount even just since we lived there. It is crazy how expensive it is up there for property.

• The Kalifornicator virus is spreading; they eff up a beautiful place then sell out and bring their viral selves to a nice area, drive prices up and get involved in local politics. Then they will tell you how they did it in Kalifornicate with a patronizing superiority.

99% of the Lawyers make the rest look bad.

• @mamalukino said:

The Kalifornicator virus is spreading; they eff up a beautiful place then sell out and bring their viral selves to a nice area, drive prices up and get involved in local politics. Then they will tell you how they did it in Kalifornicate with a patronizing superiority.

That's what they do. (I'm embarrassed to count myself among their number)

I'm trying to get out of here while I still can afford it. I'm afraid those rich liberal fucks will visit montana/wyoming/idaho/wherever and find a piece of heaven, move there and ruin it.

Rest assured if I ever move in next to any of you (and by "next to you," I mean "well outside small arms range"), you won't hear word one from me.

RLTW
    (This space for rent)

• @ragnarnar they've been in Montana since the late 80's polluting it. Northern Idaho since early 90's. Grew up in Montana and the place I grew up at is a mini-vail CO, tourist shit hole now. You have to look in the Eastern part of the state to find some places that aren't taken over by Kali shits. Stay a way from the college towns and get in the boonies. However, even then Kali idiots are there driving up the prices. Spent a lot of time in Idaho when I was growing up, use to be a pretty nifty place, however by the time I moved away, late 90's, it was shitty thanks to them. The once remote towns were turning into tourist traps and completely ruined.

Good luck finding something in those places, if that's where you wish to be :)

"A woman trying to function like a man is as ridiculous as a man trying to be like a woman. A unisex society is a senseless society—a society dangerously out of order. " - DP

• Much obliged @gash

I've talked to the wife and we think we'll be able to move in the near future, or failing that at least buy some land or something before it becomes too far out of reach.

RLTW
    (This space for rent)

• @ragnarnar Good luck to you, I hope you find a good spot to lay down some roots.

99% of the Lawyers make the rest look bad.

• I've lived in Ohio, Florida, Texas, Arizona, Alaska, Nevada, New Mexico, Alabama, Washington D.C., and now South Dakota. I will tell you that all have their highs and lows. Ironically, in New Mexico, there were more things to do with a gun in 10 miles of where I lived than anywhere else. Gun ranges, public land, trap/skeet ranges, cowboy events, and PRS. I was super excited to get to South Dakota, yet learned that the majority of the fantastic open areas are all private and the ranchers aren't too fond of you being out there. I've found some public land and two gun clubs. Everything is an hour drive one-way. Someday I will own 50-60 acres that my grass strip runway will double as my shooting range!

• I'm in Arizona right now. I will take it over any state that I been in. But keep this thought, I'm a old fart and have had my fill of cold winters, it's hard on the old bones. Two weeks be for I move here I was pushing 4 to 5 foot drifts off my drive with my John Deer. Just got tired of it. As where I live now for weapons and shooting it's the best. Ranges close by or the BLM land for real long shooting. Friend was out yesterday shooting his Mod 249. But if you do like snow, go up the hill to Flag and get all you want.

• administrators

@wilson said:

Someday I will own 50-60 acres that my grass strip runway will double as my shooting range!

That certainly sounds a fun time. The closest indoor range is Sioux Falls and I think Brookings has one. You are correct about having to drive an hour one way to get what you are looking for. How long have you been in South Dakota for?

• @irish

Been in the Rapid City area since July. Definitely like this state, just need to make friends with a local farmer or something!