Bullet necklace

• My daughter just turned 4. For one of her gifts I made her a necklace. She really likes it.

It is .22lr casings, 75gr bhtp, 175 smk's, 308 lapua brass bases, and turquoise beads.

292354F3-B42B-4886-86B9-97561A576E5B_zpsimjvzbgl.jpg

• @dddoo7 Very cool.

Did you HEAVILY wash everything? The priming compound in 22lr is toxic as all hell. Even if so, the lead core on those bullets would be no good if she's the type to put her jewelry in her mouth as lots of young women do.

• Nope. Sure didn't. I guess I need to take it apart and tumble everything. I didn't even think about it as the two older ones play with spent brass quite a bit. I guess that is something I need to change. Thanks for the heads up.

• Yup, I'd de-toxify everything. Priming compound is no good. Lead isn't either, if she's going to have that exposed lead in those bullets in her mouth all the time.

http://www.mwph.org/programs/lead-treatment/effects

http://mde.maryland.gov/programs/Land/LeadPoisoningPrevention/Parents/Pages/Programs/LandPrograms/LeadCoordination/parents/parents_know.aspx

Children are the most at risk, and one of the main effects of lead poisoning can be infertility. I take great care to ensure my kids don't play with spent 22lr cases and make them wash their hands after we're done shooting. Most of the powder and priming compound in modern 22lr ammo is less toxic than that of the past, but it can still contain mercury and other extremely harmful things. Ingestion is definitely a no-no. Skin contact usually isn't a big deal... but kids are all too fond of putting things in their mouths.

• There might be something that would eat the lead out of those bullets without harming the bullet jacket. maybe?

• I could try to come up with some Barnes copper bullets as replacements.

• @dddoo7
    Fix the potential problems and your daughter will have a beautiful necklace that could last for her lifetime.

99% of the Lawyers make the rest look bad.

• I have some copper bullets if you need some.

Should have some 308 130 Barnes and some 223 Hornady GMX of some kind of weight.

• If you cut the rims off the 22lr casings, the open ends would cradle the little beads nicely.

#nohomo

Better throw that out there, since I'm sitting here handing out advice on a necklace. Striving for perfection in all things is a worthwhile enterprise. ;)

• @rhyno said:

hould have some 308 130 Barnes and some 223 Hornady GMX of some kind of weight.

Do I see this as a joint project in the future dearest :) ;)

"A woman trying to function like a man is as ridiculous as a man trying to be like a woman. A unisex society is a senseless society—a society dangerously out of order. " - DP

• @orkan said:

If you cut the rims off the 22lr casings, the open ends would cradle the little beads nicely.

#nohomo

Better throw that out there, since I'm sitting here handing out advice on a necklace. Striving for perfection in all things is a worthwhile enterprise. ;)

I thought about that...but she loves shooting with me. She has started saying that my mark 2 is her 22. I wanted her to recognize them as 22 casings.

I feel the best gifts are things that two people share in common. This gift is the shooting we share in common...but she doesn't need anything shooting related at this point...hence a necklace.

• Just to throw this out there.

Be careful where she takes that too.

I don't know what schools are like there, but you'd get a phone call if you let her wear that to school here.

Some punk rock guy with a machine gun belt for a belt got thrown off a city bus a few weeks back. Got arrested too I think, but mostly because he got belligerent.

My wife then girlfriend had a bullet pulled and drilled for a key fob. The TSA in Oakland took issue with it.

I hope Tennessee is better than that.

RLTW
    (This space for rent)

• @ragnarnar

We homeschool for some of the very reason you have listed. I fully intend for precision shooting to be a part of their curriculum in the future. It teaches patience and discipline.