R700 action and PTG bolt deal

• http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/606-cfs-action-sale

I don't know if these are trued or not, but an r700 and PTG bolt for $380-$420 doesn't seem like a bad deal.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/606-cfs-action-sale

• Darn cheap way for someone to get started on a build! Have TS Customs screw in a nice barrel, add a decent trigger, throw it in a chassis and you'll have yourself a sub-$1500 nail driver for sure.

• That is a hell of a deal!!

99% of the Lawyers make the rest look bad.

• I could almost sell my current 700, get this combo and pay to have the barrel spun up.

• @norcal_in_az I would do it in a heartbeat. The bolt and blueprinting alone is worth it.

• @mamalukino

I don't think thats a blueprinted action though. I'm going to think about it for a day or so. If it was instock I wouldn't mind, that 8-12 week wait time though....

• Blue printed according to their description...Jump on it!!
    These will not last long.

MORE INFO

Remington RH SA actions with receiver lugs cut to precision ground PTG bolts are available in mag. Bolt face (.550), Std bolt face (.484) and 223 bolt face (.380 ) Bolts may be fluted or plain. FP diameter may vary, no other choices for color (anodizing and bolt finish may vary), handle style, extractor or FP. If bolt must have spiral fluting add $35. These are New Remington actions, Blueprinted with PTG bolts fitted.

Note: This item will only ship to a Federal Firearms License Dealer (FFL). Before this product is shipped your FFL Dealer must email or fax a valid FFL to Pacific Tool & Gauge, Inc. Your order maybe delayed if not received. Fax: 541-826-0773 E-mail: ffl@pacifictoolandgauge.com For fastest processing, please include customer name and order id with the required documentation. Your custom order will not start production until FFL Paperwork is received.

It is the responsibility of the purchaser, to check their local laws before ordering products from pacifictoolandgauge.com. Please check your State, County, and City laws for restrictions before ordering and always include the order number. All action kits have a varying ship time from 8 to 12 weeks, no statuses will be done on these items until the 12 week period has expired and a valid FFL is on file. NOTE: All actions and action kits will only be shipped UPS ground or global priority for international orders.

• It doesn't make sense to tear apart a Rem 700 when you can buy the action and PTG bolt for $380. Sell your current rifle and you are ahead. Tear apart your current rifle and you can't sell anything. If I were considering a budget build I would jump on this. As far as blueprinting goes...your current action is not blueprinted...so even if Travis has to do a little work on this one you still haven't lost anything. JMHO.

• The issues I have had with PTG would keep me away if they are out of stock. If they're in stock it's hell of a deal.

• Sale is to limited to stock on hand.....

• @jibnast said:

The issues I have had with PTG would keep me away if they are out of stock. If they're in stock it's hell of a deal.

I've heard horror stories about their lead times. Which is why I'm unsure I want to jump on the deal.

Anyone got a SPS stock laying around they want to let go for cheap? lol Thats the only thing I don't have to be able to sell the gun complete.

• I might have some of those plastic piles of junk around.

Though I might have let my kids destroy them all. I'll check.

• @norcal_in_az According to the add on their site the sale is limited to stock on hand. Call them and see if they are available and how soon will they be sent out.
    I have had excellent service from them when ordering in stock items.

• HyLbugPh.jpg

Hogue on the top you can have for $75 w/free shipping.

One of the two tupperware beneath it you can have for $25 to cover shipping.

• @orkan The middle one have the varmint barrel channel?

• I expect so, as they all came off SPS Tactical/varmint 308's.

• @orkan Sounds good. I'll call PT&G tomorrow and make sure those actions are in stock. If so looks like I'll be going this direction. I order one from them, I'll call you next to get the stock. Thanks!

• Not to discourage anyone.

I was looking at them a few months back before I built my surgeon. I did a few google searches just to check the quality of their company. I heard nothing but negative things.

One of the things that stood out was that they'd do a bait and switch kinda thing. Say its in stock then call up later and say it was out of stock. Or never ship it and string you along for months.
    Apparently customer service is awful.

I just want to throw this out there looking out for you, I have no personal dealings with PTG, I'd just hate to see someone here burned.

Take a look at their yelp page. Down at the bottom they have "reviews not recommended" because the reviewer is new to yelp. More than ten of the companies 15 reviews are only one star.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/pacific-tool-and-gauge-inc-white-city

https://www.yelp.com/not_recommended_reviews/pacific-tool-and-gauge-inc-white-city?not_recommended_start=0

With so many other options out there, I'd steer away from this one. Again my opinion only. I don't have any dealings with them.

Edit:
    They also charge a 20% CANCELLATION FEE. Not restocking. That was something else that stood out.

RLTW
    (This space for rent)

• Holy Cow! I read some of those reviews. I am sure glad I never had a similar experience.
    I can't believe we are talking about the same co.
    I have recommended them to friends in the past and never heard a negative from them.
    All I can go by is my experience which was a few years ago.

• @mamalukino

Yeah. I couldn't believe it when I read it. I had always heard they were right on with their reamers so I figured that would apply to the rest of their sales.

I decided not to take the chance.

I can't imagine how pissed off I'd be if I ordered something, after selling my rifle, and then got jerked around for months and in the end, lost money on the deal.

RLTW
    (This space for rent)

• I once bought about 10 bolts from PT&G for rem 40x rimfires. Five, all at one time. Of those five, 4 had the bolt handle fall off. Their suggested fix: "You could braze them back on." The company is certainly not without fault.

• While PTG hasn't had the greatest past, this is still a deal I would jump on if I was looking to go that route (R700 action)

It sounds like this is from a PTG offshoot company called Cabin Fever Sports, so maybe it will be run slightly better.

• I just clicked on the link this morning and it says "Made to order allow 8-12 weeks"

• In-Stock did not last long. Bummer.:frowning:

• @tscustoms it said that last night too. But it also says sale limited to stock on hand.

• After reading it again this a.m. I believe that CUSTOM orders will have the 8-12 week work and the ones already made are available to stock on hand.
    A call to them should clear up any confusion as long as they don't BS answer the ??

• So I just called. They have actions in stock, the lead time is there as they don't fit a bolt to the action until the order is placed. They also don't blueprint the reciever. I asked if the do anything to the reciever after they get them from Remington and the answer was no.

Not worth it to me.

• @norcal_in_az
    I just called them also; none made until ordered.

• @norcal_in_az

You will have to pay to have your current action trued anyway. For that matter...I bought a surgeon action and when the smith checked it...it needed a little truing as well. Not being blueprinted is no reason not to buy the action. I really don't trust a mass producer to true an action anyway...leave that to the smith that takes a personal interest in each rifle.

It is your money...but if you are building a Rem 700 anyway I don't see how you will ever find a cheaper/better option than this one.

• @dddoo7 if I have to have it trued anyways then why sell my current action to buy another? If I was starting from scratch then yes that's a fantastic deal.

• Replacing a 700 with a 700 is probably not the best plan of attack anyway. Replacing a 700 with a custom is progress.

• @orkan

Well this thread has me thinking about that very idea now. Homework time.

• @norcal_in_az said:

@orkan

Homework about what? If you have a question, ask. Unless you prefer to buy the wrong thing first and ask after like most folks. :)

• @orkan said:

@norcal_in_az said:

@orkan

Homework about what? If you have a question, ask. Unless you prefer to buy the wrong thing first and ask after like most folks. :)

Homework on custom actions and their cost.

• I know Travis has worked with the guys at Lone Peak to make their actions extremely nice.

If it were me I'd go with one of them, or a Bighorn.

But that's with absolutely no experience behind either so it's not really worth much haha.

• My point is that if you buy a separate action you can sell your current action as a complete rifle.

So...Your rifle will probably bring $500...maybe a little more in a tupperware stock. However...If you use your current action...you can only sell your factory barrel which is worth just over the cost of shipping. Your current action does not have a PTG bolt...which is close to $200. The ptg bolt is not necessary...but nice. If you don't use the ptg bolt...you will probably want an oversized bolt knob which is also additional.

Now...when I did my research for my first custom...I found it worth the money to sell my R700 and go with a custom action.

Actions run about $1200-1400 depending on options.

These actions include a quality bolt ($200 for ptg), an oversized bolt knob ($100+), a scope base ($150), a recoil lug ($50), and are much closer as far as machine work goes to being ready to screw a barrel in.

Now...lets say $1300 for an action, $325 for a barrel, $125 for a trigger, $600+ for a stock, $325 for a bottom metal and one mag, $350 to plumb the barrel, $100 to thread it for a suppressor, $275 to pillar bed the stock, $275 for ceracoat the barreled action...now how close are you to a Desert Tech.

Ok...now lets say a couple years from now you outgrow the 308 and want a magnum caliber. Guess what...start all over collecting parts...and you will need a second scope as well. The Dessert Tech is expensive...but if you ever want more than one caliber it will be cheaper in the long run.

I have gone several different routes that you are looking at. I had a rem 700 that I had over $3000 in before I realized it wouldn't do what I wanted. I have a full custom from tac ops that sits in the safe because I am afraid I'm gonna shoot the barrel out and have to wait forever to get a new one installed. Let me save you some money and frustration. Save up...get the Desert Tech and a really nice scope. It will be the last rifle AND the last quality scope you will need...until you are ready to step up to a cheytec.

• @norcal_in_az said:

@orkan said:

@norcal_in_az said:

@orkan

When you've had your fill of getting "advice" from people that have only used a tiny handful of actions telling you what to buy, and would like some real information... just let me know.

• @dddoo7 said:

My point is that if you buy a separate action you can sell your current action as a complete rifle.

So...Your rifle will probably bring $500...maybe a little more in a tupperware stock. However...If you use your current action...you can only sell your factory barrel which is worth just over the cost of shipping. Your current action does not have a PTG bolt...which is close to $200. The ptg bolt is not necessary...but nice. If you don't use the ptg bolt...you will probably want an oversized bolt knob which is also additional.

Now...when I did my research for my first custom...I found it worth the money to sell my R700 and go with a custom action.

These actions include a quality bolt ($200 for ptg), an oversized bolt knob ($100+), a scope base ($150), a recoil lug ($50), and are much closer as far as machine work goes to being ready to screw a barrel in.

Now...lets say $1300 for an action, $325 for a barrel, $125 for a trigger, $600+ for a stock, $325 for a bottom metal and one mag, $350 to plumb the barrel, $100 to thread it for a suppressor, $275 to pillar bed the stock, $275 for ceracoat the barreled action...now how close are you to a Desert Tech.

Ok...now lets say a couple years from now you outgrow the 308 and want a magnum caliber. Guess what...start all over collecting parts...and you will need a second scope as well. The Dessert Tech is expensive...but if you ever want more than one caliber it will be cheaper in the long run.

I have gone several different routes that you are looking at. I had a rem 700 that I had over $3000 in before I realized it wouldn't do what I wanted. I have a full custom from tac ops that sits in the safe because I am afraid I'm gonna shoot the barrel out and have to wait forever to get a new one installed. Let me save you some money and frustration. Save up...get the Desert Tech and a really nice scope. It will be the last rifle AND the last quality scope you will need...until you are ready to step up to a cheytec.

^ truths

• @dddoo7 said:

My point is that if you buy a separate action you can sell your current action as a complete rifle.

Thanks for the thoughts. A DT is for sure my ultimate want. I have no problem
    saving for a few years to get one either. I have a better financial situation now than I ever had in CA, but it's still just not in the cards right now.

I agree 100% that selling my rifle used and putting the $500 towards a custom action is a wise choice. My comment to it not being worth it was trading one factory 700 reciever for another. If the PT&G one was really trued and blueprinted, then yeah it's worth it.

If I go with a custom action then I can put my 700 back to stock with my extra parts and sell it, or keep it for a beater hunting rifle.

• @orkan said:

@norcal_in_az said:

@orkan said:

@norcal_in_az said:

@orkan

When you've had your fill of getting "advice" from people that have only used a tiny handful of actions telling you what to buy, and would like some real information... just let me know.

Will do. Although I won't be asking others for advise. I just like to do research myself so when I ask questions I understand the answers I'm getting.

• @norcal_in_az said:

If the PT&G one was really trued and blueprinted, then yeah it's worth it.

Oh? Please explain.

• @orkan said:

@norcal_in_az said:

If the PT&G one was really trued and blueprinted, then yeah it's worth it.

Oh? Please explain.

When I called this morning, I asked what they did to the receivers after they got them from Remington. They said nothing. They just fit their bolt to the action. Now if Roxy at their CS desk was wrong ok, but when I call to ask questions from a company, I expect they know their product best.

If they went through and did a truing job on it like Travis, or another smith would, then I would have been money ahead by selling my rifle to pay for the PT&G action.

• @norcal_in_az said:

When I called this morning, I asked what they did to the receivers after they got them from Remington. They said nothing. They just fit their bolt to the action. Now if Roxy at their CS desk was wrong ok, but when I call to ask questions from a company, I expect they know their product best.

Obviously I didn't need explanation about this.

@norcal_in_az said:

then yeah it's worth it.

I asked for explanation about that ^

You said it's worth it to trade out your rem700 for this other 700. Why, exactly?

• I think what he meant was if the PTG deal was trued, for that price then it would be worth it over his old rifle which is not trued.

But because the PTG isn't trued and just comes with a PTG bolt it's not since it would still have to be trued.

• @orkan said:

@norcal_in_az said:

Obviously I didn't need explanation about this.

@norcal_in_az said:

then yeah it's worth it.

I asked for explanation about that ^

You said it's worth it to trade out your rem700 for this other 700. Why, exactly?

Oh ok, I was confused about which part your were confused about. Confused? lol

@rhyno said:

I think what he meant was if the PTG deal was trued, for that price then it would be worth it over his old rifle which is not trued.

But because the PTG isn't trued and just comes with a PTG bolt it's not since it would still have to be trued.

This. Yeah if the PT&G was trued, then it would have put me money ahead by picking up that action over my action that is not trued.

• @norcal_in_az said:

Yeah if the PT&G was trued, then it would have put me money ahead by picking up that action over my action that is not trued.

Why?

• @orkan said:

@norcal_in_az said:

Yeah if the PT&G was trued, then it would have put me money ahead by picking up that action over my action that is not trued.

Why?

Sell my current barreled action for $500ish and buy that action. Then not have to pay for truing form a smith.

That was the only way I would have jumped on that deal. Like ddd said eariler, selling my action and putting that towards a custom is better than swapping one 700 for another.

• @norcal_in_az said:

Sell my current barreled action for $500ish and buy that action. Then not have to pay for truing form a smith.

Ok, but you still haven't explained why. I'll attempt to counter the arguments you're making as well as the arguments you are not making.

First, action truing and other custom services on a remington 700 are worth exactly and completely zero when it comes to resale. This is a fact. The market is flooded with rebuilt "custom" rem700's. They take forever to sell at reasonable money and guys can only move them if they loose their ass, whole and entire.

Second, nothing says a trued 700 shoots any better than one that is not trued. Addition of an aftermarket barrel installed by a competent smith like Travis will almost always make it shoot better, and they will almost always recommend truing it up before installation of a new barrel... and they are completely correct in doing so... because if you have it apart, why not make it right... right?

Right.

Moving on for a second, what is a PT&G truing job worth? Is it right? How do you know it's right? "Your smith" would need to check, right? If PT&G does it wrong, how does the smith fix it when the threads are half gobbled up by a bad job? Harder to fix something that's tried to be fixed once already. Hard to put material back. Not free, either.

Does a PT&G bolt make it shoot better? Have you ever done a bolt swap on a rifle and proven that it is indeed better? Any conclusive evidence in the world to suggest it? I see bolt swaps to solve problems, not bolt swaps just because they want a new bolt. It absolutely does not add value. If it did, PT&G wouldn't be selling them for the same price as you can get a brownells sale on one without a PT&G bolt.

All the while all this is going on... you're without a rifle.

When you get it back IT WILL STILL BE A REMINGTON 700.

So if you still think you'll be "money ahead" by swapping one 700 for another, you'll have to speak slowly, and take me through it step by step if you expect me to understand.

• @orkan

Okay thanks for explaining that. I'm in complete agreement. Glad you finally laid out what you were asking me, because I was getting confused.