Cold is coming

• So it's gonna get cold this weekend. I know most of you that live in this area are used to it, but this kind of cold is nothing to piss around with. Just a friendly reminder. Make sure everything is gassed up. Keeps some fuel on hand. Have alternative heating methods in case your primary goes out. Don't drive around under half tank of fuel in the vehicles. Gas up frequently. If you've got a generator, make sure it's running. If you don't... you might wanna have one. Keep some thick bibs, jacket, stocking hat, and gloves in the vehicle with you always. Some of those little hand warmers too.

Make sure you check your antifreeze and ensure it's good down to super cold temps. You'd be surprised how many vehicles will freeze up when it hits -20 raw temperature. Don't forget that wind chill! A stiff wind with -27 raw temps that they are predicting will kill people and animals left out in it quickly! It is NOT to be toyed with folks!

hCsK9vel.png

• Holy Moly....Brrrrrrrr:laughing:

I'll be thinking of you fellows....BRRRRrrrrrrr

• Barn chores are gonna be fun! 😆

All seriousness...great advice! General rule for me, never ever let the gas gauge get below 1/2 tank no matter the temp. :) Something Orkan told me to do the first winter I was in SD, I just do it year round so I never ever forget.

Small tote or cooler in the back of the van full of non-perishable foods, water, change of clothes, etc..stuff gets changed around depending on the season. However these days, come Winter, I avoid leaving the house at all costs :)

• I keep a Modular Sleep System, -50 rated, with me and bottled water and food and a 2 M handheld. KG4BXN Clear.

• @hypo

N0MAT

• Yup, luckily I don't plan on going many places.

My hunting pack goes in my truck with some things.

• Nice 007. I have not been active on HF in a while. I used to make contacts on USB around 28.5 to 28.7 all day. Best was to the tip of Chile with 10 Watts from the Florida Turnpike mobile. I have the QSL card in my desk. West Coast was easy when the band was open. It is all in storage right now. Extreme cold like they are getting is even a test on radios. It makes you want to have something that glows to help keep you warm. Something with 4 3-500ZG tubes would work. That is a bit much for 1500 PEP. 10 in might be too much drive.

• @gash said:

Barn chores are gonna be fun! 😆

All seriousness...great advice! General rule for me, never ever let the gas gauge get below 1/2 tank no matter the temp. :) Something Orkan told me to do the first winter I was in SD, I just do it year round so I never ever forget.

Small tote or cooler in the back of the van full of non-perishable foods, water, change of clothes, etc..stuff gets changed around depending on the season. However these days, come Winter, I avoid leaving the house at all costs :)

I do the same thing with fuel. Costs the same to keep the tank full.

• @hypo

I haven't been active in probably 15 years. I got my code and first license at 8 yrs old, but haven't used it much at all since I left home. It was one of dads hobbies.

• And technically, it's not even Winter yet.:astonished:
    66587442.jpg

• g3ib1.jpg

• That type of cold?!! When I see temps like that, I instantly invision scenes from that John Carpenter/Kurt Russel film "The Thing". Fuck that noise.

• Hmmmm....with that kind of chill in the air should see some expanded families come late August into September..:laughing:

• @mamalukino

HA! 😂😂

• It's only -8 here in Colorado, but it should heat up to -1 this afternoon. Great advice on winter preparedness.

• 71 deg today...however it is supposed to be 20 sometime tomorrow morning.

• 70 here right now... but not going to be 20 tomorrow :laughing:

• -5 feels like -28. here. It's deceivingly beautiful outside though, you'd swear it was about 30 degrees outside. I love this time of year :)

• I don't think I've ever experienced that level of cold before. It was 32 outside this morning when I woke up at 5:00 and it's 52 now at 3:30. I don't want to live in California for much longer and I wonder how I'll handle it when I find myself out in that type of cold.

I think my record low was something near -5ish and I wasn't going out in that. Just spent the day indoors. That was at 8,000 feet in Asia.

• @ragnarnar Believe it or not, you get use to the cold and snow...maybe even look forward to it!
    DW, enjoying the WI winter : )

• Well, it's getting cold alright.

33nGahEm.png

• @orkan how the hell is the air at that temperature holding 83% humidity?

• Hahaha cold!

• @mamalukino said:

@orkan how the hell is the air at that temperature holding 83% humidity?

That's part of why it "feels" so cold. It's a "wet" cold.

• @orkan I thought the moisture would freeze out at that temperature. You can keep that cold. LOL I liked AZ's "dry cold" and "dry heat"LOL

• @mamalukino said:

@orkan I thought the moisture would freeze out at that temperature. You can keep that cold. LOL I liked AZ's "dry cold" and "dry heat"LOL

I don't like dry cold, I'm putting more lotion on my hands then a stripper. Beats them being cracked and bleeding I guess.

• -30*, wind chill at -45*, 98% humidity, S 5mph wind,

It's going to be nearly 65 degrees warmer in 2-3 days.

• Here's an interesting product,

• I've always wanted these. Not sure when I'd use them. Never mind the average annual temperature and snow fall here is something like 58 degrees and a whopping 0 inches....

You people would probably have use for them though.

• @ragnarnar said:

I've always wanted these. Not sure when I'd use them. Never mind the average annual temperature and snow fall here is something like 58 degrees and a whopping 0 inches....

You people would probably have use for them though.

It would take a pretty big jack to get the first one under. Would be a little easier for the rest.

• And here we are in AZ complaining about the overnight low of 35-40*.

• @rimfire

You just drive into them. Put them track width apart. Drive forward then back into them, installed in 60 seconds

• @ragnarnar said:

@rimfire

You just drive into them. Put them track width apart. Drive forward then back into them, installed in 60 seconds

That just sounds way too easy and takes all the fun out of thinking what could go wrong.