I'd love to have a promentheus but it's just not in the cards for me right now, with that said so far I'm very pleased with the auto trickler and plan to add the auto throw shortly. The big advantage I see in the promentheus over the auto trickler/throw set up is the reassurance that a balance beam scale brings. My satorious has never given me a single problem but it always in the back of my head that it could.
I didn't measure with a caliper, but rather a micrometer. Also I'd like to point out that I don't consider myself an expert at neck turning.
I decide what to turn to based on two factors: The chamber dimension indicated by the reamer spec and the consistency of the brass. If I'm forced to turn because of a turn chamber spec, then I will use that as my guide as how to cut the necks. If I turn because I'm wanting more consistent seating pressure and what not, I'll just clean up about 80-90% of the neck with the intention of making them "round."
I new on this forum so I'll have to try and figure how to do the pictures. I'm strictly speculating about the pause before and after rotation, my machine only pauses for an extremely short period of time as well.
I'm hesitant to give an answer here because I haven't done the kind of accuracy testing required to ensure the correct answer. So instead I'll tell you what I do: I measure the primer pocket depth. I measure the primer thickness to the top of the anvil. I measure the primer cup thickness.
I make anvil contact with the bottom of the primer pocket, then I go an additional .002 to .004.
Sometimes this will put primers flush with the base. Other times it will have them recessed as much as .008. It really all just depends on the brass and the depth of the pockets. I can't say if that is the best or not, but I've clearly had acceptable results.
@ragnarnar I have expanders in all my FL sizing dies. I have separate expanders that I use for neck turning and various other jobs, but as a matter of course I use a expander on the decapping rod in every FL die I use.
I have been using the XHCG for about 3 years now and the only thing I wish for is a drop tube. This new set has it but does not justify getting a new setup. I might look at just the setup for 20 cal. The trays I do like and will get help on my anal retentive when I get an object under the case.
I'm close to giving up on the Peterson brass as well. I'm getting ready to resize after my second firing. If the neck concentricity is still all over the place with many greater than 0.003 in runout then I'm done. On a side note I have a Sinclair concentricity guage and it works very well. I can see the "wheels" in the two setups above being very handy and speeding up the process.
I didn't get the lathe with it. I have access to a "real" lathe, so I didn't need the drill-powered jobby they sell. Not that there is anything wrong with it... but a true tailstock setup is pretty awesome!
Completely agree. I did pressure testing all the way to 94.0 and never had anything but a slight ejector mark and no other visible signs but I stopped there. 92.0 was producing good groups at 100 and good numbers on the chrono, but I just felt that the accuracy should be sub .4 with my reloading ability, shooting ability and components.
So, I really took some time to work on my own fundamentals because these magnums will exploit every weakness within NPA. Then, I started load development all over. I'm pretty happy as I am sure you can tell. 😁
Another example of a piece of brass that I will cull. Nosler(norma) 17rem brass here. For some reason the case on the right exhibited odd markings after annealing. It was very clear that the markings were more than surface deep. I could speculate as to why those markings showed up, but that is all it would be; speculation. The point is that it was the only piece of brass that was different from the rest. All the others looked like the brass on the left. It is important to pay attention to little differences like this and understand that inconsistencies can come from any number of variables during manufacturing. All pieces are not created equal, and it is not uncommon for employees to pick up stray brass and throw them in the mix. These cases should be culled, or at the very least, separated. They can come in handy for random testing where brass will be sacrificed.
Here is another 17rem case I found with a creased shoulder/neck. This was the 2nd firing... so I missed this the first time through.
The hornady case feeder has an arm that screws to the bench top. Then a tube comes down from the hopper and is held by a bracket. I just set the bracket at the right height for the cases being used. It was really simple.
Thanks, Greg - your answer is not unexpected. I had thought about bearing surface perhaps making a difference but did not consider the ogive or jacket material as factors. Oh well, load development is still shooting - and that's why we do what we do :smiley:
I would think dumping a charge from a Uniflow that was .5-1 grain light and then setting it on the scale would be a better method with this setup than dumping with the little Lee scoops. I guess, pretty similar to what the Prometheus does.
Looks good. Now you just need to print one out for each funnel size so you don't have to change them out.
Being able to change them out is the entire point of this system. The adapter is glued to the green funnel, then the XHG funnels are attached via the lock ring. So if I want to load 308, I just grab the 30cal funnel and lock it into the prometheus. The funnels are all the exact same size/shape with the exception of the hole and a bit of internal geometry difference.